E3 Preview: World of Warplanes

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
If it weren't for the fact that this game will be Pay-To-Win, I'd love to be in on it. I've been waiting since the last Crimson Skies game for a good old-school Dogfighting simulation game.

Unfortunately, these games have the WORST pay-to-win model I've ever seen.

Wrann

Sep 22, 2009
Well world of tanks is rather balanced in what you buy and whats free, so I think warplanes will be rather similar.

I've been waiting for some time for this game to come out so I'm in on it.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Scow2 said:
If it weren't for the fact that this game will be Pay-To-Win, I'd love to be in on it. I've been waiting since the last Crimson Skies game for a good old-school Dogfighting simulation game.

WoT never really seemed to be hugely pay to win to me. At least when you go on a per-battle scale. A lot of the premium tanks weren't particularly scary, the only thing was the premium ammo which gave you an edge. Also they do love sticking loads of lower level fodder in the game for the more experienced players to shoot.

The worst bit was the limits imposed on free players who wanted to play with friends. Other than that it was quite fun.

Anyway, am looking forward to trying WoWP. It's free so there's not a whole lot to lose.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
I buy it simply to fly a Mirage unfortunately they won't be doing French planes for awhile I see.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Looking forward to this, Tanks were always a bit slow paced for me.
Just remember folks,

Spring chicken to Shitehawk in one easy lesson,
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Alexnader said:
Scow2 said:

WoT never really seemed to be hugely pay to win to me. At least when you go on a per-battle scale. A lot of the premium tanks weren't particularly scary, the only thing was the premium ammo which gave you an edge. Also they do love sticking loads of lower level fodder in the game for the more experienced players to shoot.

The worst bit was the limits imposed on free players who wanted to play with friends. Other than that it was quite fun.

Anyway, am looking forward to trying WoWP. It's free so there's not a whole lot to lose.
The premium ammo is what drove me away. I don't mind Premium Tanks as much, because while it might be viewed as "Unfair" to be on the recieving end, as a purchased item, it's both a cosmetic and functional reward. "Hey, I got a fancy vehicle! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" And whatever advantage they had could be mitigated if your own team also had some premium tanks (Even if those tanks aren't yours)

The premium content that makes it easier to level and improve doesn't bother me at all, because it doesn't affect the actual battles. If someone wants to buy themselves out of what they perceive as a grind, that's fine.

However, the premium ammo is what I find unacceptable because unlike the tanks themselves, there's no cosmetic benefit to show off. It's also an all-too-expendable resource, requiring constant, unpredictable cash drain to stay at "Peak Performance", or surrendering that edge if you don't want to pay up quite as much. At least with the tanks, what you buy, you keep.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Scow2 said:
Alexnader said:
Scow2 said:

The premium ammo is what drove me away. I don't mind Premium Tanks as much, because while it might be viewed as "Unfair" to be on the recieving end, as a purchased item, it's both a cosmetic and functional reward. "Hey, I got a fancy vehicle! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" And whatever advantage they had could be mitigated if your own team also had some premium tanks (Even if those tanks aren't yours)

The premium content that makes it easier to level and improve doesn't bother me at all, because it doesn't affect the actual battles. If someone wants to buy themselves out of what they perceive as a grind, that's fine.

However, the premium ammo is what I find unacceptable because unlike the tanks themselves, there's no cosmetic benefit to show off. It's also an all-too-expendable resource, requiring constant, unpredictable cash drain to stay at "Peak Performance", or surrendering that edge if you don't want to pay up quite as much. At least with the tanks, what you buy, you keep.
I'd agree with your assessment there. I never got into clan battles or anything like that so I didn't really hurt for lack of premium ammo.

=y

May 11, 2012
As someone who has been hooked in by WoT, I'm looking forward to the launch of the game out of beta. Sure there may be benefits to being in the beta but I'm too busy blowing up tanks right now. And if it is anything like WoT there won't be any pay to win. There will merely be 'pay to earn more income and jump ahead in the tiers'.

[sub]Can't wait for this to be fully released as I'll hopefully have my new computer up and running by then! :D[/sub]

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Hmm, I might give this a look, it's been ages since I've played a dogfight simulator. If it's anything like European Air War then I'll be hooked.

I just hope they'll stick the British planes in pronto, as I understand it they still haven't brought British tanks into WoT, and if I can't fly about in a Spitfire then there's not much point, although I'll settle for a Folke Wolf.