E3 Preview: ZombiU

Bindal

May 14, 2012
So, what I get from the gameplay-description is "Zombie Master, just with only one human and for 60 bucks"... yaay...

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Bindal said:
So, what I get from the gameplay-description is "Zombie Master, just with only one human and for 60 bucks"... yaay...
If you want to focus only on the multiplayer, yes. Single-player's a whole different beast and appears to put the GamePad to very good use. Plus I like the sound of the permadeath mechanic they're implementing. Go check out the trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKXB9dhmkyw].

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
VinLAURiA said:
Bindal said:
If you want to focus only on the multiplayer, yes. Single-player's a whole different beast and appears to put the GamePad to very good use. Plus I like the sound of the permadeath mechanic they're implementing. Go check out the trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKXB9dhmkyw].
I think that the game will suffer for the permadeath mechanic, what kind of narrative could possibly work if the main character is constantly dying and being replaced? How would the new characters actually know where the old character's crap was? (yes we know outside the game, but in the context of the game how does the new character know of this newly dead person's location and that they're still holding equipment?). Aside from "GET THE FUCK OUT OF TOWN!" plot where you don't come into any other characters AT ALL and having no actual character arc AT ALL, I fail to see what they could do and such a story would fucking blow.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Remember that inventory mechanic in RE5 that everyone bitched and whined about? Now you have to take your eyes completely off the screen!

Except we're...praising it now for some reason?

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Remember that inventory mechanic in RE5 that everyone bitched and whined about? Now you have to take your eyes completely off the screen!

Except we're...praising it now for some reason?
Because it doesn't eat up the whole screen, and you can flick your eyes between the two to keep tabs on what's going on without having to stop what you're doing in the inventory.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
Baron_BJ said:
I think that the game will suffer for the permadeath mechanic, what kind of narrative could possibly work if the main character is constantly dying and being replaced? How would the new characters actually know where the old character's crap was?
The reason behind this is because all the survivors are communicating with the same guy on the radio, even npc characters, Hes with some "group" that knew this was coming and they made preperations, so i assume he has other survivors doing stuff and when one of your characters fail he gets another survivor to continue from where the previous one left off.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Aarowbeatsdragon said:
Baron_BJ said:
I think that the game will suffer for the permadeath mechanic, what kind of narrative could possibly work if the main character is constantly dying and being replaced? How would the new characters actually know where the old character's crap was?
The reason behind this is because all the survivors are communicating with the same guy on the radio, even npc characters, Hes with some "group" that knew this was coming and they made preperations, so i assume he has other survivors doing stuff and when one of your characters fail he gets another survivor to continue from where the previous one left off.
That will still lead to many of the problems I listed; there can't be any character arcs because you almost never come into contact with others and there's the constant risk of your own character's permadeath, and with the way you described it I'm almost led to believe that there will be some sort of lives system.

This next point is just something I thought of right now and wasn't listed earlier, but if these survivors are all so close together AND communicating over the radio then why the fuck are they not grouping up together? In this sort of situation creating small groups would be a necessity (I say this both seriously and in a jabbing fashion; 4 would be a good number), the only reason not to do such a thing would be to justify the permadeath function and the singleplayer gameplay which are not good excuses.

This just leaves me more convinced than ever that the permadeath mechanic, though a cute idea ultimately harms the game. I don't think anyone can deny that a much stronger story could have been constructed without the mechanic.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Baron_BJ said:
VinLAURiA said:
Bindal said:
I think that the game will suffer for the permadeath mechanic, what kind of narrative could possibly work if the main character is constantly dying and being replaced? How would the new characters actually know where the old character's crap was? (yes we know outside the game, but in the context of the game how does the new character know of this newly dead person's location and that they're still holding equipment?). Aside from "GET THE FUCK OUT OF TOWN!" plot where you don't come into any other characters AT ALL and having no actual character arc AT ALL, I fail to see what they could do and such a story would fucking blow.
Not all games need to be story-based. The first thing I look for in a game is interesting gameplay.

I'm not saying that this game will necessarily have interesting gameplay, but the potential is there.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
MetalMagpie said:
Baron_BJ said:
VinLAURiA said:
Bindal said:
Not all games need to be story-based. The first thing I look for in a game is interesting gameplay.

I'm not saying that this game will necessarily have interesting gameplay, but the potential is there.
I agree, but a game with a good story and good gameplay is going to be better than a game with no story and only good gameplay.