E3: Silent Hill: Book of Memories Vita

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
E3: Silent Hill: Book of Memories Vita

Silent Hill goes in an unexpected direction.

Read Full Article

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Wow, dungeon crawler? What's next, Silent Hill the RTS?
Tower defence?

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Li Mu said:
Tower defence?
Silent Hill: Tactics?

Sorry but I can't like this game, it just shows everything that went wrong with the SH series after the third game

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I don't know man.

The whole point of Silent Hill to me is that you're by yourself and you have no idea what's around the next corner that's trying to eat your face.

I also don't see how this is going to be scary, so this will probably be a pass for me.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I don't know man.

The whole point of Silent Hill to me is that you're by yourself and you have no idea what's around the next corner that's trying to eat your face.

I also don't see how this is going to be scary, so this will probably be a pass for me.
Well, I don't think it will be scary, but I do think it will be fun (assuming you like dungeon crawlers, that is).

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Susan Arendt said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I don't know man.

Well, I don't think it will be scary, but I do think it will be fun (assuming you like dungeon crawlers, that is).
I like dungeon crawlers, but it's going to be a bit hard trying to grasp that it's a Silent Hill dungeon crawler. It's like if all of a sudden someone made a Pokemon game that is a shooter, it's just weird.

I guess I will have to play the waiting game on this one.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Li Mu said:
Tower defence?

Sorry but I can't like this game, it just shows everything that went wrong with the SH series after the third game
What about a racing game? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSZ_WMgWe8Y
...or a track and field game? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6imstwZJp-k

See, here's the thing. When I was a kid, my best friend owned a PS1 and we played it all the time, and later on an Xbox. We played all kinds of games on these systems, including one called Gauntlet: Dark Legacy on the Xbox, and Silent Hill on the PS1. Guess which one of these was easily forgettable, meaningless and at the end of the day just wasn't that much fun for me (while the other became my favourite game of all time)?

I'll give you a hint; it's the one with the huge afro on the cover.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Seriously? It's not bad? I mean...but...it's a top down hack and slash/shoot em up. A silent hill one. That's...such an awful idea.
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I don't know man.

I've got to agree. Whether or not it's actually good, it's just not silent hill. I suppose I could enjoy it if I could set that aside, but seriously, if they could do a dungeon crawler that well, why awkwardly attach the name of a franchise known for psychological, lonely horror?

They could even make an entirely new horror universe, even one that might be ridiculously similiar to silent hill, just don't defile my beloved silent hill by making it a top down RPG!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Doclector said:
Seriously? It's not bad? I mean...but...it's a top down hack and slash/shoot em up. A silent hill one. That's...such an awful idea.
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I don't know man.

I've got to agree. Whether or not it's actually good, it's just not silent hill. I suppose I could enjoy it if I could set that aside, but seriously, if they could do a dungeon crawler that well, why awkwardly attach the name of a franchise known for psychological, lonely horror?

They could even make an entirely new horror universe, even one that might be ridiculously similiar to silent hill, just don't defile my beloved silent hill by making it a top down RPG!
Yeah, I think that's my biggest problem, but then again I haven't played it so all I'm doing is whining. Still, I would be slightly okay with it if it wasn't a Silent Hill game, a horror game that's a dungeon crawler is a bit of a stretch for me, but we shall see I guess.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:
Li Mu said:
Tower defence?
Super Silent Hill Fighter III: Agalophotis Edition
Silent Hill: Text Adventure
Dance Dance Silent Hill
Silent Hill: Extremely Foggy Beach Volleyball

That's all I can think of at the moment.

OT: You want to make a dungeon crawler, okay. But why, in the name of all that is holy, would you make it a Silent Hill themed dungeon crawler? That's like the opposite of what the series is supposed to be about! Silent Hill (for the first few games, at least) has been about subtle, quiet, oppresive horror, running alone down a dark corridor or foggy road, only to have your radio pipe up and be attacked by surreal beasts generated from the protagonists psyche. There was always a reminder that you were just playing as a normal person thrust into terrible circumstances, and this became especially prominent during combat, where Harry/James/Heather/[REDACTED DUE TO CRAP PROTAGONISTS]/Murphy showed all the battle prowess of an armadillo in a blindfold. It was always much better just to run away.
All that is pretty much thrown out the window when you add character customization, quick, flashy combat, levelling up, hordes of clearly visible monsters, and multiplayer. Just glad it's not part of the main series. I never played any of the spinoffs, save for the awful iPhone game.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
I see everybody's already forgotten the light gun game Konami made around Team Silents run.

And honestly, you all REALLY need to stop your bitching. This constant bleating of "THIS ISNT SILENT HILL BRING BACK TEAM SILENT BLAAAARGH" is getting really fucking monotonous. Just go play Silent Hill 2 for the rest of your life and let the more sane SH fans like me just enjoy the games for what they and not for what they're not i.e., Silent Hill 2.5 which is honestly just want you really want in the first place.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
The first three Silent Hill games had control and gameplay features that are vastly considered "ancient", "archaic", etc., And I get the impression that any new Silent hill with tank controls trying to be as similar and faithul to those titles would be universially panned as "last-gen". I just don't see a publisher signing off on it, especially after the HD remakes were gutted and mistreated so poorly.

I wasn't interested in this title (I'm in the Yahtzee SH2 worshipping cult thingy despite the above paragraph), but this article actually peaked the hell out of my interest. My train of thought...:

Isometric RPG - Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights
Left and right hand independantly controlled - Demon's/Dark Souls
Horror/Creepy dungeon crawling - The Binding of Issac

I'm sure the final product will be 1/10 as awesome as that line of thinking would suggest, but I can dream, and would buy it if it's even half close.