E3: Sly Cooper to Return to PlayStation After Seven-Year Hiatus

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
E3: Sly Cooper to Return to PlayStation After Seven-Year Hiatus

Watch out Paris, Sly Cooper is in town, and he's after your valuables.

Before Sucker Punch started working on the superpowered morality plays that are the Infamous games, it created the much more furry Sly Cooper series. It's been quite a while since the last Sly Cooper game, but next year the long raccoon drought will end courtesy of developer Sanzaru Games.

[video=3436]

Revealed as part of Sony's E3 press conference [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110713-E3-Sony-Press-Conference-Liveblog], Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is scheduled for release in 2012. If the announcement trailer is to be believed - and considering it ends with a joke, it might not be wholly reliable - the game takes place on the streets, and rooftops, of Paris. Sanzaru has previously worked on The Sly Collection, which were PS3 ports of the original three Sly Cooper games with updated graphics and 3D effects.

The Sly Cooper games star an anthropomorphic raccoon thief named, predictably enough, Sly Cooper. Sly is the last surviving member of a line of master thieves, heir to the "Thievius Racoonus," a book containing the collected knowledge of Sly's larceny-inclined family. The games combine comic book and film noir elements with third-person platformer/stealth gameplay.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
My highlight of E3 so far, even with Luigi's Mansion 2 and Star Fox. Though Overstrike is still a close second.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I never played any of the Sly games, but I hope for the fans that this franchise won't suffer the same fate that Crash and Spyro did when they changed developers.

Andsre

Dec 25, 2008
After the last game I was worried that Sly would settle down, but seeing the cops on his tail made me happy.

HAVERSHA

Apr 24, 2009
Loved the old sly games for the PS2. Great to see it making a return. Shame its a PS3 exclusive though.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
YEEESSS! This is the best thing! Between this and the Mass Effect 3 info, I'm very happy about this E3.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
I never played any of the Sly games, but I hope for the fans that this franchise won't suffer the same fate that Crash and Spyro did when they changed developers.
But they AREN'T changing developers. That's the best part!

The only bad news is that this means no inFamous 3 anytime, soon. But that does mean Sly 4.

Misread the article. :p

G Skunk

Apr 19, 2010
Hm. Lotta furries in Escapist.

More to the point: Thieves in "Time"? I'm starting to sense a pattern here...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Casual Shinji said:
But they AREN'T changing developers. That's the best part!

The only bad news is that this means no inFamous 3 anytime, soon. But that does mean Sly 4.
The article says Sanzaru Games not Sucker Punch. Unless I'm missing something...

And seeing as the industry has a hard on for blockbuster trilogies, I doubt Sucker Punch would leave Infamous by the wayside for a new Sly game.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
Yay! Best news to come out so far!
Now we just need Jak 4, don't we? ;P

Anyway, great to see a new game for this after so long.
Does the seven year hiatus make Sly a doctor now? /badjoke

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Sevre said:
My highlight of E3 so far, even with Luigi's Mansion 2 and Star Fox. Though Overstrike is still a close second.
So...everyone is doing reboots or sequels to games released a while back?

...Huh. Thought there would be something original. But hey I loved Luigi's Mansion so no complaints.

Tsukikagenoknight

Jan 3, 2011
I'm about to fail my yearly physical (by having to cancel it) and was dreading it, but this news made me smile big time. Need to get ready to mug-I mean borrow my friends PS3.

FanboyInDisguise

Dec 8, 2007
I am trying very hard not to get too excited about this (cites the Crash and Spyro debacles mentioned earlier) But it looks somewhat promising, the whole trailer is basically the intro to Sly 1 (albiet with a twist) so if they're at least paying homage to that, hopefully they at least understand what made Sly great and unique and not fall into the trap that Playstation MOVE - Heroes did...ugh I loathe that game...

Still, the thought of Sly being brought out his self-imposed retirement to battle Dimi....wait wait I thought Dimitri was cool with Sly since he helped Dimitri get back his granddads scuba gear...oh bugger.

*edit* grammar...what a cruel mistriss...