E3: Sony Unveils Ellen Page in Beyond

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
E3: Sony Unveils Ellen Page in Beyond

The new game from the makers of Heavy Rain promises a chance to see what lies beyond the the veil.

The first big news to come out of Sony's E3 press conference was announced by none other than David Cage, the founder and CEO of Heavy Rain [http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Rain-Directors-Cut-sony-playstation3/dp/B005YR308S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338860155&sr=8-1] developer Quantic Dream, which is working on a new game called Beyond. Beyond will follow the life of Jodie Holmes, a woman who's always felt the link between our world and "the other side," as she grows and evolves over 15 years - and discovers more about what's beyond. "For the first time ever, we will lead the life of a character," Cage said.

Details are sketchy, as you'd expect, but the big news is that the role of Jodie is being played by Academy Award-nominated actress Ellen Page [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0680983/], the star of films like X-Men 3, The Stone Angel and Inception. She didn't have much to do in the short teaser that played at the press conference but the technology on display, particularly the facial rendering, is nothing short of stunning. Good or bad, this will be one amazing looking game.

Beyond will be "mature and unique, but breathtaking and spectacular," Cage said. "If you make the right decisions, maybe you will discover what lies beyond." Alas, no release target was announced.

See all our coverage directly from the E3 2012 show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3-2012]

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Based on their tech, fuck yeah it'll look good. Now that I own a PS3, I can actually get this game before the internet spoils the ending, like it did for Heavy Rain.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Holy shit! THIS is the reason I bough a PS3, I knew it would be justified someday! Heavy Rain was awesome and this will be even better, especially after seeing just what Quantic Dream can do with Sony's tech.

Perhaps this is the reason Naughty Dog were forced to change the appearance of Ellie in The Last of Us, who looked strikingly like Ellen Page until only recently.

EDIT: The trailer, for anyone who's interested:

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Ellen Paige is the biggest surprise for me. Although I thought Juno is an over-rated crap, its also the movie that make me like her quite a bit.

A video-game featuring Academy Awards Winner actress?? Can't say that for every video game.

Also... Heavy Rain is the reason I bought PS3. Not the best game, but its something I highly appreciate.

I hope this one is a knockout.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Proverbial Jon said:
Holy shit! THIS is the reason I bough a PS3, I knew it would be justified someday! Heavy Rain was awesome and this will be even better, especially after seeing just what Quantic Dream can do with Sony's tech.

Perhaps this is the reason Naughty Dog were forced to change the appearance of Ellie in The Last of Us, who looked strikingly like Ellen Page until only recently.

EDIT: The trailer, for anyone who's interested:

Really? They changed her? Like the very first trailer we see Ellie, has she been changed since then?

I love Ellen Page, I want to date her sooo bad :p and she's also from the place I live, so that's pretty cool. I want this game already because of her being in it

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Even their staunchest critics can't call them uncreative or predictable.

So, will this be on the Wii-U along with all the other HD titles of this generation that the Wii couldn't run?