E3: Star Wars Kinect

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007

Use the force ... of motion controls.

I was not enthusiastic about Star Wars Kinect after I saw it featured in Microsoft's press conference on Monday. In fact, I believe my exact words were, "That looks like crap." It looked far too slow to properly evoke the feeling of being a light saber-wielding JedI, and the force powers came off as awkward, not cool. I actually got a chance to play it this afternoon, and was surprised to discover that playing it and seeing it are two very different experiences.

I got to try a co-op level that takes place on Bespin - the very same level featured in the press conference. My right hand controlled the light saber and my left handled the Force powers. The game is on rails, which is still a bit disappointing, but it does leave you free to concentrate on slicing droids to bits. Leaning forward lets you dash from point to point around the current area, which gets you within striking distance of your enemies. You can also combine the dash with a jump to get behind shielded droids. Using the light saber was as easy as flailing my arm around. I didn't feel all that masterful, but it was fun to see on screen. Using the Force, on the other hand (literally), was a bit tougher to get a feel for. I tried to extend my hand and lift, which should've grabbed a droid, but it didn't seem to work quite right. Similarly, when it came time for my partner and me to team up to Force lift a whopping great ship out of our way, we couldn't quite coordinate our movements in a smooth way. We got the job done, but the other Jedis were laughing at how clunky we were.

The demo was only a few minutes long, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. Would the flailing and jumping stand up for an entire game? That I'm definitely not sure about. I was told that the finished game, which is due out this holiday season, will feature many different kinds of scenarios and that what you wield will depend on where you are in the game. Hopefully there will be enough variety to keep things interesting. The demo was also far easier than the real game will be, because we weren't taking any damage.

I'm not going to swear by Star Wars Kinect, or anything, but I'm not writing it off, either. We'll check back in with it and see how the real game fares later on this year.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
So Lucas Arts FINALLY gets around to doing a motion controlled Star Wars lightsabre game, and it's not for Wii... it's for the Kinect, with a minute fraction of the Wii's userbase? Sounds rather silly to me.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Susan always knows how to make me happy. Going in with a preconceived notion that something will suck, but actually allowing her opinion to be swayed instead of desperately clinging to the suckage.

Not that if she said she thought it sucked and it did suck would mean that she went into it with unshakable conviction.

... ... ...I'm too tired to make a coherent statement, so I'll make this quick.

It still doesn't look great to me (Mostly because I don't like the Kinect or any of the games that have come out for it thus far.) but it's good that you enjoyed it, even if it was only a short demo.

And now I think I will fall asleep at my keyboard. Good 'morrow.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
At first I was going to scoff, but then I remembered Panzer dragoon and think it might not be such a bad thing

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I don't think jumping through various scenarios could make me feel any less Star Wars-y.

Where is my bloody Star Wars meets Deus Ex meets What-I-Imagined-Jedi-Academy-Was-Going-to-Be-When-I-Was-9-And-Knew-Nothing-About-It-Other-Than-The-Title game?!

I've said I'd eat my own face for a lot of reasons, but if that got made I definitely would do it.

After I'd finished playing it.

3 million times.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
When it comes to Jedi action games I'm still waiting for them to top JKII. It's been a long 9 years.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
HankMan said:
Well this has given me A New Hope for the Star Wars franchise.
Bad pun aside, I highly doubt a Star Wars rail game will be compelling enough to turn me to the dark side and get a kinect.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
WaaghPowa said:
HankMan said:
Well this has given me A New Hope for the Star Wars franchise.
Bad pun aside, I highly doubt a Star Wars rail game will be compelling enough to turn me to the dark side and get a kinect.
Haahaha I seen what you did there! ;)

Looks.... interesting I dont know what to think

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
It looked slow and lame in the only part that mattered the lightsaber stuff. Yawn. I shall not be adding Kinect to my 360 anytime soon.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
no "real" game will ever work on the kinect

first you need something in your hand to swing around, preferably something with force feedback
oh and buttons would be nice to pull something off other than 2 different kinds of slices
oh and highly responsive should it also be
and something in your other hand to move around on your own... you know, like a real jedi

then i look at my ps move and ask myself... why the hell won't anybody do this??
it's as if the ps move was specially made for a light saber combat based star wars game...
i just don't know anything anymore...

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
I wanna know why the fuck the guy demoing this shitastic game was not dressed up like a jedi.
A massively missed opportunity for a little extra showmanship would have been nice.

On a similar note why was that adult not in a cookie monster costume for the sesame street game.

Almost the entire cast of the microsoft conference was dressed like slobs. With the exception of cliffy B, cause i've never seen him in anything other than a tshirt and jeans. Ice-t is also excused as he is some famous popular person.

Jul 9, 2008
Woodsey said:
I don't think jumping through various scenarios could make me feel any less Star Wars-y.

Where is my bloody Star Wars meets Deus Ex meets What-I-Imagined-Jedi-Academy-Was-Going-to-Be-When-I-Was-9-And-Knew-Nothing-About-It-Other-Than-The-Title game?!

I've said I'd eat my own face for a lot of reasons, but if that got made I definitely would do it.

After I'd finished playing it.

3 million times.
That does sound really good. Hell, just get me a new Jedi Knight game penned by Chris Avellone (head writer of KotOR II and Planescape Torment, among others) and I'll be content forever.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:

Use the force ... of motion controls.

I've just got to ask... between this and the Fable gag, is the "Hey, there's no controller!" overshadowed by the "Hey, there's no freedom" aspect? I mean, wasn't the whole idea of the Kinect to "free" us from the chains of controllers? We seem to just be exchanging one prison for another.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
After seeing a video of this, I couldn't be more disappointed.
The controlling is sketchy at best and random at worst.
It's a rail flailer.

Count_A'ight

Dec 29, 2010
LucasArts, just remake Super Star Wars through Super Jedi?!?! Please? Oh and remake X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter...