E3: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
E3: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Despite the subtitle "Space Marine," the latest Warhammer title isn't the Gears of War clone you think it to be.

As a fan of Relic's real-time strategy entries in the series, I was surprised as anyone to hear their latest title would be a third-person shooter in the Warhammer 40k universe. It's a relief then to discover it's a fun and functional shooter that embraces quicker, short-range combat in contrast to its contemporaries.

[gallery=305]

Space Marine encourages players to charge into hordes of orks, to the extent that the game doesn't include a cover system. "Hordes" isn't an exaggeration. In order to accompany this play style, developer Relic focused on building encounters with large groups of enemies. Enemies charge right at you and your teammates, so crowd management and evasion are necessary skills to survive on higher difficulties.

With a focus on melee combat, Space Marine has as much in common with Dynasty Warriors as it does with Gears. You slice through hordes of enemies, perform critical blows when prompted and knock down enemies surrounding you once your Rage meter fills up. Your marine moves quickly without sacrificing any of the long-range combat you expect. Grenades, weapon selection and zooming respond well and are mapped to the familiar places. Sniping is particularly fun, especially when combined with the Rage ability which triggers slow-mo with weapons.

The two levels in the demo lacked the open-space of Dynasty Warriors and the set-pieces of Gears, putting the focus squarely on combat. I worry that transitioning from one arena of death to the next will become tiresome, over the course of the game. Space Marine is fun but without a bit more freedom or eye-candy, it doesn't seem like it's going to be a memorable one. Co-op mode is to be included. Considering that you are accompanied with a squad throughout the game, but Relic would not discuss if co-op will be present in the campaign.

If you are looking for a faster-paced, melee-focused action game, Space Marine might be worth checking out when it hits stores September 6.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
i'm really looking forward to this games, but yes, i'm also afraid it will be repetetive. that it indeed will be horde after horde, after horde after horde. yeah, sometimes soem chaos that require a different aproach but not that game changing. i will wait and see.

Dr.Nick

Mar 26, 2009
The two levels in the demo lacked the open-space of Dynasty Warriors and the set-pieces of Gears, putting the focus squarely on combat. I worry that transitioning from one arena of death to the next will become tiresome, over the course of the game. Space Marine is fun but without a bit more freedom or eye-candy, it doesn't seem like it's going to be a memorable one.
HERESY! *BLAM*

CrimsonTemplar

Apr 20, 2009
Even being a fan of Gears of War I didn't even consider the possibility of Space Marine emulating GoW's gameplay style. Games Workshop and Relic have had a good relationship over the course of the Dawn of War franchise, so they know how to treat the property. Hiding behind cover is more in line with the Imperial Guard's M.O. than the Adeptus Astartes.

"Camoflauge is the color of cowardice" - Rogal Dorn, Primarch of the Imperial Fists

The boys in GoW are wee girls compared to proper Space Marines.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Ya know...unless they become pretentious dicks and try and say their game is absolutely not like Dynasty Warriors when it basically looks like mostly a rip-off with some tweaks here and there I could actually see myself ownin this. I actually like Dynasty Warriors...and Samurai Warriors....and the Gundam one. Basically all of those

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
SHOW ME WHAT PASSES FOR FURY AMONG YOUR MISBEGOTTEN KIND

this is looking good. I'm pleased. I just hope the bolter is boltery and not sub machinegunny, it looks more like the latter to me.

ScumbagEddie

Mar 29, 2011
I'm still of the opinion that this game would have been better using Blood Angels Death Company or Dark Angel Deathwing. I do so hate the Ultramarines

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
with some luck this will be a good game. hell even if its just passable the setting will probably push it over the edge

also why did they go with the ultramarines for this arnt thay ment to be all tactical not just run in guns blazing and then stab to death whats left blood angles would have been a better choise i mean thay even have a fury mechanic in the game which suits blood angels to a tee (needs more guard)

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
I can't wait to play this. I'm kind of glad that it plays like dynasty warriors because that is what space marines are supposed to be against simple boyz. I just hope that it is a little more challenging when you fight the more elite chaos army.

ELD3RGoD

Apr 23, 2010
I was hoping for basically a third-person Last Stand mode with a wider range of Wargear. I'm also hoping for an Army Painter and some sort of Co-op. Doubting all of them, but i'm a huge fan of the Warhammer 40K universe, always have been so I'm excited!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Anyone who's going to wander in and point out that it looks remarkably like Gears of War (complete with the chainsaw) and thus must be a rip-off, a friendly advice to you: don't.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
ScumbagEddie said:
I'm still of the opinion that this game would have been better using Blood Angels Death Company or Dark Angel Deathwing. I do so hate the Ultramarines
Yes, but like the guys at BOW say, their the easiest for newcommers to "get". Plus they aren't hard to write for since they are one of the very few chapters of space marines that could honestly be considered "good guys".

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
KingPiccolOwned said:
ScumbagEddie said:
Yes, but like the guys at BOW say, their the easiest for newcommers to "get". Plus they aren't hard to write for since they are one of the very few chapters of space marines that could honestly be considered "good guys".
if thay wanted good guys why not run with the salamanders thay fit the good guys arch type a lot better than the ultra marines who have proven to be quite unrilable when the shit hits the fan

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Dr.Nick said:
My reaction to this game [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXasCjUTNpE]
Oh god I just fell off my seat thanks to such hilarity. Danke danke!

God that made my day.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
theonecookie said:
KingPiccolOwned said:
ScumbagEddie said:
if thay wanted good guys why not run with the salamanders thay fit the good guys arch type a lot better than the ultra marines who have proven to be quite unrilable when the shit hits the fan
Well honestly, if it were up to me we'd be playing Space Wolves, but GW obviously wants it to be Ultramarines, so it's gonna be Ultramarines :(
... also its spelled archetype. Not judging just throwing it out there.