EA Admits Poor Medal of Honor: Warfighter Sales

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Admits Poor Medal of Honor: Warfighter Sales

Electronic Arts has acknowledged that Medal of Honor: Warfighter sales are lower than expected.

Analyst Doug Creutz said last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120259-Analyst-Predicts-Warfighter-Disaster] that Medal of Honor: Warfighter, EA's new modern combat FPS, was "likely to be a major disappointment," and it looks like he wasn't too far wrong. In a conference call with investors earlier today, CEO John Riccitiello said EA's third-quarter results are likely to be "soft," due primarily to weaker-than-expected sales of Warfighter. Specific numbers weren't revealed, but EA has reduced its full-year financial outlook by $50 million in response.

EA actually managed to post a slight year-over-year revenue gain for its second fiscal quarter, earning $1.08 billion, up from $1.034 over the same quarter in the previous year. "We are managing the ups and downs. Our Q1 and Q2 were better than expected," Riccitello said. "Our Q3 appears soft, due mostly to Medal of Honor."

The company noted that Warfighter actually managed to hit the top of the U.K. sales charts in its first week of release, although EA Labels President Frank Gibeau admitted that EA is "not pleased with the situation." He said that internal testing and mock reviews indicated that Warfighter is better than the ugly critical reception it has received thus far but added, "There are people out there who just don't like the game."

Our own MiracleOfSound awarded Medal of Honor: Warfighter a 2.5/5 score in the official Metacritic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10011-Medal-Of-Honor-Warfighter-Review] review score of 54.

Sources: Forbes [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/30/ea-recognizes-q3-will-be-soft-due-to-medal-of-honor-warfighte/]

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I take issue with the line " He said that internal testing and mock reviews indicated that Warfighter is better than the ugly critical reception it has received thus far".

The biggest problem with that is that internal testing and mock reviews mean pretty much nothing if everyone else in the real world hates it.

Apr 28, 2008
Really? And you did so much for it. It's a sequel to a decent but not-too-special reboot, you rushed it out, requiring a big launch patch, held back reviews so nobody could learn anything about it, and didn't really advertise it that well.

The hell did you think would happen?

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
nikki191 said:
looks like we might be finally starting to get to the end of the latest fad cycle. even the hardcore fanboys of this seem to be getting sick of it and wont accept a half assed game.

what next? back to world war 2?
Depending how well BO2 does we might be heading back to futuristic warefare or slightly more futuristic warfare.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
How the fuck did they not know this was going to happen. Anybody could've told them this.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
GAunderrated said:
nikki191 said:
looks like we might be finally starting to get to the end of the latest fad cycle. even the hardcore fanboys of this seem to be getting sick of it and wont accept a half assed game.

Depending how well BO2 does we might be heading back to futuristic warefare or slightly more futuristic warfare.
Fine with me, I like robotics and nano-tech/magic in my shooters and pretty much every game I play. With the Modern Military Shooters it was all the same thing, Americans/U.K with their guns and either Russians/Koreans/Or some middle eastern guys with their guns. When you get back to futuristic themes you can make up a lot more stuff which is just way more interesting than the same two sides fighting with same damn weapons over and over again.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
They shouldn't have had such high expectations, they should realise that most people are dedicated to Battlefield or Call of Duty (or both). Strict CoD players are wayyyyy more likely to start playing Battlefield rather than Medal of Honour. Some Battlefield players, like myself, don't even like MoH. Don't know how they didn't see it coming really :/

I will give EA this though, they made the trailers look good (multiplayer and singleplayer) but after I played the Beta I decided it was a definite no go for me :/

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Well we all know what happens next don't we? RIP Danger Close studio.

Not surprised it did badly after Totalbiscuit booted it not long ago.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
BloodRed Pixel said:
Warfighter
what a totally stupid name. What else do expect to do in a wargame?

Warwoodfloorpolishing?

Well they were going for "Warmedic" but decided that the name was just too off-brief.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Mangles69 said:
The only real way to kill off COD and BF and MOH games is to simply stop buying them. I have to buy a single one of these titles, due to just hiring them when they go weekly at my local Blockbuster...If we all did this, then finally these shitty series would be gone!
Or more like all of the series you hate. I like CoD, not sure about this "Modern Warfare 4" but I am looking forward to Blops 2. As for MoH, it probably should die though it's literally gone generic as you can go. Even compared to CoD.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
nikki191 said:

God I hope so. And yes, I am deadly serious.

Hopefully this time they'll be forced to do more than the same old Omaha Beach D-Day story and realise that there's more material to use in WW2 than just about any other conflict humans have ever had.

Not to mention it's hard to argue that the fighting in WW2 wasn't important. Regardless of personal opinions, you can't ignore that there is far less agreement as to the value of the current War on Terror.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I'm not surprised at all considering the lack of advertising on EAs part. For every other game that was positioned as a major release this fall I have seen tons of ads in the weeks leading up to and the the weeks following release(Borderlands 2, Resident Evil 5, Dishonored, Assassin's Creed 3, Black Ops 2). I don't think I saw a single ad for Medal of Honor. It is possible I missed them and they were advertising heavily when I wasn't looking, but that seems highly unlikely considering how much I couldn't avoid all the rest of the video game related ads.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I..what? When was this released? I'm incredibly confused, I thought it was coming out later in this year.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Yes, there are people out there who don't like the game? But you know why? It's not because they're CoD HXC fans or something like that. It's because the game sucks! Seriously! What happened there?

Alright, the campaign is fine but most people who buy a FPS don't buy it just to play the campaign and that's it. The multiplayer menu itself is confusing, the game randomly pairs you up with people and just as easily switches your game, if you're inviting someone to your squad, it's a 50/50 chance the game WILL pair you up with your buddy, the pop-up-next-to-my-buddy feature was actually a pretty bad idea, the knife/axe takes a second to react (very important if you've played any FPS) and just...ugh. Some things are fine such as the graphics (even though when you die, your character looks ridiculously similar to a ragdoll) and the fact that you can shoot through some objects; it's not the first time its been done but still.

It plays a lot like Battlefield 3 and while I didn't like BF3, I admit it was good. But MoH:W is just not fun. And it sucks because I wanted it to be good. A game written by actual soldiers? Alright, that sounds good.
But it wasn't.

Was there a beta for this game? I wanna say yes but I forgot. and if there was, then what the hell, EA?

[sub][sub]...unless the released MoH just to make a quick buck while they finish BF4. Sounds like something that would happen.[/sub][/sub]