EA Admits Poor Medal of Honor: Warfighter Sales

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I probably shouldn't be savagely gladdened by this news, 'cause, y'know, people's hard work and jobs and livelihood and whatnot.

But I am. I really, really am.

I have issues with the modern military shooter genre at the best of times. I find the whole Arab/Russian murder-em-up ohh-rah fantasy distinctly creepy at the best of time. Like a fifteen year old boy playing with a switchblade and muttering about stabbing his stepdad.

But cross that with decidedly crummy design and execution and, yeah... they deserve every bit of failure they get.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the game would be an underachiever. There was little to no marketing campaign to speak of - the only thing I saw was a horrible Linkin Park video that had nothing to do with anything. The sooner they get back to the classic roam-anywhere campaigns, the better.

BTW, Allied Assault (and its expansions) are $10 right now on GoG - a way better use of your time.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
He said that internal testing and mock reviews indicated that Warfighter is better than the ugly critical reception it has received thus far but added, "There are people out there who just don't like the game."
I am just dying here, they seriously said something so incredibly daft as that?

Mock reviews oh lord.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
OHH EHM GEE!! Gaem so turrible, whole trend needz 2 dye!! S2pid "modern shooters" just jeneric cooky cuter gaems maed fer anyooal proffits!!

Am I doing it right?

Seriously though, I don't think anyone really expected it to be a mindblowing, innovative experience for...well, anyone I suppose. 'Cept maybe those Die Hard MoH fans out there.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
He said that internal testing and mock reviews indicated that Warfighter is better than the ugly critical reception it has received thus far but added, "There are people out there who just don't like the game."
"But we thought our game was pretty good!"

I wonder whether they have any idea how silly they sound bringing that up.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Hello EA. I just thought I would let you know that MOH is a series renowned for being worse than COD for over a decade.

If you would like to make a FPS that's great! Just don't use an old IP that was never great and will obviously never be great. Maybe try a dev team that doesn't suck, or creating a game with a title that doesn't make gamers puke.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Are you telling me the brownest, most generic FPS ever (and I realize the competition for that is brutal) is not flying off the shelves?

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
godofallu said:
Hello EA. I just thought I would let you know that MOH is a series renowned for being worse than COD for over a decade.
It's even more tragic when you remember that Infinity Ward was formed from a group of developers who worked on Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Andy Chalk said:
ORLY?!
Andy Chalk said:
It currently has a cross-platform Metacritic [http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/medal+of+honor+warfighter/results] review score of 54.
I wonder why, OH! No I do not. The game is a hyper linear, derivative, unoriginal shooter that tries to be better than what is already out there by doing the same damn thing. People who want to play COD will play COD, why would they want something that does the same exact thing, only worse?! They will not.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
Is it really that risky to go beyond the tired, stale, and overused CoD style if this is the result of playing it safe?

I guess the fact it sold anything at all is enough for them.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
So basically EA has come out and said "Our game is actually awesome, but our critics and consumers are too stupid to realize it"

Way to go EA, earn that consumer trust and goodwill!

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
We all know that EA failed in courting reviewers and media outlets as is currently custom, hence the frosty critical response when in other times if EA had gone with the status quo I'd reckon it would be in the 80s.

It's also not going to help that writers are just looking for any excuse to pander to it's fans and bash EA, so the circus goes on...

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
I like this whole "modern warfare shooters crumbling" thing. Sure, Call of Duty is not out of steam yet, but Warfighter is the prime example of what's wrong with modern warfare shooters.

That said, Battlefield 3 is still an amazing game. But that's because it's inherited that from Battlefield 2; which was amazing too and is getting pretty old.

Remerik

Jul 2, 2012
The only reason i think that this game hasnt sold well is becaus its a military shooter. But even so its a really good game, it blows cod out of the water with ease. I cant stand that everywhere on the interwebs that you go there are people bashing on it and odds are those people havnt even played it...

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Remerik said:
The only reason i think that this game hasnt sold well is becaus its a military shooter. But even so its a really good game, it blows cod out of the water with ease. I cant stand that everywhere on the interwebs that you go there are people bashing on it and odds are those people havnt even played it...
I haven't played this game and only have a review and video to go on for judging its' quality. This is the video in question:

Now, is this one example of many for the single player segment or is this just a rough area that's being singled out?

I imagine that to people who enjoy the game, the issues presented in the video don't bother them but for myself, I'd find it really irritating.