EA Admits Poor Medal of Honor: Warfighter Sales

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
squid5580 said:
Squilookle said:
nikki191 said:
looks like we might be finally starting to get to the end of the latest fad cycle. even the hardcore fanboys of this seem to be getting sick of it and wont accept a half assed game.

what next? back to world war 2?
God I hope so. And yes, I am deadly serious.

Hopefully this time they'll be forced to do more than the same old Omaha Beach D-Day story and realise that there's more material to use in WW2 than just about any other conflict humans have ever had.

Not to mention it's hard to argue that the fighting in WW2 wasn't important. Regardless of personal opinions, you can't ignore that there is far less agreement as to the value of the current War on Terror.
Call of Duty: The 100 Year War
Who and what are you trying to reply to here?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
ElPatron said:
Zhukov said:
murder-em-up
There is a very defined meaning of murder, and it's not what you think it is. In most games, if you just stand around enemies they will kill you without hesitation (except in really bad AI cases) and in the real world that is a perfectly justifiable homicide - not murder. If Warfighter is a murder simulation, so is Final Fantasy, Mario or [insert other beloved franchise which isn't a shooter].
I know what the definition of murder is. The premeditated and unlawful killing of a person.

Most of the killing in your average military FPS is premeditated. Your character goes around the world for the specific purpose of carrying out lethal violence, as evidenced by the large quantities of weaponry they take with them. You're usually on the offensive, so you could just as readily say that the enemies are just defending themselves.

As for lawfulness, that gets pretty sketchy when applied to cross border operations. Whose laws are we going by? However, many of the actions depicted would most definitely be unlawful according to the laws of the country in which they were undertaken.

For a specific example in MoH:WF, see the one mission where you attempt to kidnap (premeditated) some guy off the street, then chase him down and kill all the people trying to protect him.

Murder-em-up.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
He said that internal testing and mock reviews indicated that Warfighter is better than the ugly critical reception it has received thus far
Doesn't that translate to "But...but...but we told ourselves this game was gonna be awesome!"

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Zhukov said:
ElPatron said:
Zhukov said:
murder-em-up
There is a very defined meaning of murder, and it's not what you think it is. In most games, if you just stand around enemies they will kill you without hesitation (except in really bad AI cases) and in the real world that is a perfectly justifiable homicide - not murder. If Warfighter is a murder simulation, so is Final Fantasy, Mario or [insert other beloved franchise which isn't a shooter].
I know what the definition of murder is. The premeditated and unlawful killing of a person.

Most of the killing in your average military FPS is premeditated. Your character goes around the world for the specific purpose of carrying out lethal violence, as evidenced by the large quantities of weaponry they take with them. You're usually on the offensive, so you could just as readily say that the enemies are just defending themselves.

As for lawfulness, that gets pretty sketchy when applied to cross border operations. However, many of the actions depicted would most definitely be unlawful according to the laws of the country in which they were undertaken.

For a specific example in MoH:WF, see the one mission where you attempt to kidnap some guy off the street, then chase him down and kill all the people trying to protect him.

Murder-em-up.
Thing is soldiers kill in wartime where peacetime laws don't apply. What would normally be seen as murder during peacetime is the incapacitation of an enemy combatant during wartime.

So I wouldn't say that Military FPS's are murder-em-ups (not to the extent that GTA games are).

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
MrFalconfly said:
Zhukov said:
Murder-em-up.
Thing is soldiers kill in wartime where peacetime laws don't apply. What would normally be seen as murder during peacetime is the incapacitation of an enemy combatant during wartime.

So I wouldn't say that Military FPS's are murder-em-ups (not to the extent that GTA games are).
a) Whose peacetime laws exactly? The country from which the killers hail from may not consider their action to be murder, but you can bet the country in which the killing happens does.

b) Many of the operations depicted in military FPSs are secret "black ops" that don't take place as a part of a legally defined war. Presumably so the player can get that little extra elicit thrill from murdering digital people.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Zhukov said:
Most of the killing in your average military FPS is premeditated.
You don't know who you will face in combat, or if there will be any combat at all. How can you premeditate the murder of someone you don't know and that you don't even know if they'll show up? Specially if when they do show up, they fire at you?

Sounds like a legitimate shot to me, if every armed personnel in a location is assumed to be the enemy I think that removes the legal boundaries of killing people to military forces.

Zhukov said:
Your character goes around the world for the specific purpose of carrying out lethal violence, as evidenced by the large quantities of weaponry they take with them.
That's not evidence.

What you just said is like saying that anyone who is interested in collecting firearms/having an arsenal at home wants to kill people. That if I want to own a fast car, I want to drive over the speed limit.

I'll let you in on a little secret: everyday I carry my penis with me out on the street, and so far I haven't raped anyone. I might have it with me concealed, but I don't have that intention, you know?

Zhukov said:
You're usually on the offensive, so you could just as readily say that the enemies are just defending themselves.
That's what Hitler said.

Boom, played the Hitler Card right there. In seriousness, if we are considering those places a warzone then obviously the one who threw the first rock is the aggressor. We can't just cut away a small section of the big picture and analyze that.

I don't think a criminal has the right to kill a cop to "defend himself". You don't shoot cops if you're in the right. How would you like if a bombmaker on your building just blew it all to smithereens because he wanted to defend himself from the SWAT team outside?

Zhukov said:
lawfulness snip
This is a moray grey area for me, and I'm willing to turn a blind eye to someone's rights if themselves are infringing humans rights and there is no legit way of catching them.

Specially if they are just a bunch of polygons on a videogame.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
FelixG said:
kajinking said:
GAunderrated said:
nikki191 said:
looks like we might be finally starting to get to the end of the latest fad cycle. even the hardcore fanboys of this seem to be getting sick of it and wont accept a half assed game.

what next? back to world war 2?
Depending how well BO2 does we might be heading back to futuristic warefare or slightly more futuristic warfare.
Fine with me, I like robotics and nano-tech/magic in my shooters and pretty much every game I play. With the Modern Military Shooters it was all the same thing, Americans/U.K with their guns and either Russians/Koreans/Or some middle eastern guys with their guns. When you get back to futuristic themes you can make up a lot more stuff which is just way more interesting than the same two sides fighting with same damn weapons over and over again.
I too would like to see more Sci Fi games instead of gritty modern games.

As a bonus we might see Battlefield 2143 next to compete with the direction Blops is going!
Oh god if they announced Battlefield 2143 I may just go and buy a better computer, or at the least just throw all my money at DICE.
OT: How could they not see it would be bad? The game had nothing to differentiate it from any other shooter, why would anyone want that?

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Zhukov said:
MrFalconfly said:
Zhukov said:
Murder-em-up.

a) Whose peacetime laws exactly? The country from which the killers hail from may not consider their action to be murder, but you can bet the country in which the killing happens does.

b) Many of the operations depicted in military FPSs are secret "black ops" that don't take place as a part of a legally defined war. Presumably so the player can get that little extra elicit thrill from murdering digital people.
a) Peacetime laws no matter from which country gets trumphed by the international code of war (in daily speech "The Geneva COnvention") during war.

b) Realistically. Apart from Truly Black Operations (like the SAS Sniper Op depicted in CoD 4), which of these doesn't happen during an already ongoing war?

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
So what exactly are "mock reviews"?

I am imagining the following scene: CEO enters the PR office, smiling like a child on Christmas Morning, with the gold master copy of MoH: Warfighter, and tells their people to critique the game, like a critic would.

"Don't hold back," he says still grinning joyfully, "be as honest as you can."

The PR people look at each other. All air seems to have been sucked out of the room. What remains is pure tension. The head of PR loosens his tie as he puts the CD into the game machine and installs the code.

They play. For an hour or so. Then they are once again met by the CEO's face in happy expectation.

Should they tell him? The truth would clearly break his heart (if it's even made of a material capable of such a feat), and even worse: it would get them all fired, if not worse. Unhireable, that's the word. With a deep breath and a short prayer, he hands the CEO the sheet labeled "MOCK REVIEW: MEDAL OF HONOR WARFIGHTER".

It reads: "10/10 - a must play!"

Whistling happily, the CEO thanks the department and gets on with his work. Until the true reviews come in...

surg3n

May 16, 2011
natster43 said:
Oh god if they announced Battlefield 2143 I may just go and buy a better computer, or at the least just throw all my money at DICE.
They have, it'll be in a similar vein to BF1943 on XBL though, but still should be worth a look. I am a huge fan of 2142, easily the most fun of all the BF games, Titan battles especially, so dynamic. A full 2142 sequel would be awesome, but I think we'll have to make do with a 1943 style re-vamp.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
5 Dollars says they STILL try to keep this franchise alive and yet, will hold Dead Space hostage.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Yeah of course people paid directly or indirectly by EA are going to be totally impartial on the games quality aren't they?

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
BloodRed Pixel said:
Warfighter
what a totally stupid name. What else do expect to do in a wargame?

Warwoodfloorpolishing?

Well they were going for "Warmedic" but decided that the name was just too off-brief.
I would so totally like to play Warchaplain:
blessing hundreds of soldiers before they are sent out to die, telling that it's God's way to those few who come back in one or more pieces and taking the last confessions of the deserters etc. before they are shot and then dying because of a liver-malfunctioning.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Kargathia said:
Andy Chalk said:
He said that internal testing and mock reviews indicated that Warfighter is better than the ugly critical reception it has received thus far but added, "There are people out there who just don't like the game."
"But we thought our game was pretty good!"

I wonder whether they have any idea how silly they sound bringing that up.
Yeah, I kinda laughed at that. Even if a "mock review" is asking a playtester to write a 1-10 based on their fun level, I'm sure the fear of getting fired or having someone on the team right near you in person would add a few numbers to the one in your head. Don't predict the future by internal opinion.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
A tepid and mediocre title gets a tepid response.
The shock of this occasion has rendered me speechless.

(Actually, this is surprising. I was expecting glowing reviews from the shills who suck up to EA year after year. Guess their bribery budget is running a tad low.)

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
A sequel to an FPS game which warranted a resounding "Pfft" from players and reviewers alike and was released close to the much anticipated Assassin's Creed III is doing poorly?

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Ah, EA. The only publisher who act surprised when people don't recieve the game as well as the other people they paid to play and "mock review" their game.

Seriously, "mock review?" What in the absolute fuck is that? Do movie studios have mock reviews for their films?