EA and Respawn Announce New Third-Person Star Wars Title

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
EA and Respawn Announce New Third-Person Star Wars Title

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1319/1319056.jpgIn celebration of Star Wars Day, EA has announced a new game set in the universe.

Respawn Entertainment, the developer behind post on the EA blog [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/11098-Titanfall-Review-Mechs-and-the-City], Patrick Soderlund, Executive Vice President of EA Studios, announced that Respawn is working on "the development of an all-new 3rd person action adventure game set in the Star Wars universe." Interestingly, he also mentions

There's not a lot of other information available yet. The game is being directed by Stig Asmussen, who wrote a blog post [http://www.respawn.com/stig-blog/] about the announcement. In that post, he says that the studio promises to "to pay respect to the Star Wars legacy at all times" with the new title.

Interestingly, Soderlund mentioned in his blog post that "Visceral Games, DICE, Capital Games, BioWare, Motive and more," studios are "currently working on Star Wars projects." Sounds like we're going to get plenty of chances to play in the Star Wars universe.

Hopefully, we'll get a better idea of what the new Respawn game will entail when EA Play [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166137-EA-to-Skip-E3-Booth-in-Favor-of-Its-Own-Events] takes place in June. Until then, is it wrong to hold out hope that someone is picking up Star Wars: 1313 and bringing it to fruition?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Paying respect to the Star Wars legacy would be good, wish Disney would. But it's EA so... Who's ready for Mass Effect: 1313?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Pffft. Get to Bioware already. Seriously, if they make anything but Kotor 3 (or 4 if you count the MMO), then I don't even know what!

Also they said when Battlefront was first announced that EA had a license to make a ton of Star Wars games through their developer pawns, including Bioware.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Saelune said:
Pffft. Get to Bioware already. Seriously, if they make anything but Kotor 3 (or 4 if you count the MMO), then I don't even know what!
It does just say "currently working on Star Wars projects", not that all those studios are working new projects. The Bioware reference could simply be referring to the current mmo, just as the DICE reference may be referring to Battlefront.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Jadak said:
Saelune said:
It does just say "currently working on Star Wars projects", not that all those studios are working new projects. The Bioware reference could simply be referring to the current mmo, just as the DICE reference may be referring to Battlefront.
I mean way earlier, when Battlefront was announced as being made by DICE. So yes, DICE already put their entry in, ie Battlefront, but Bioware is definatly working on, or going to be working on a Star Wars game. The most logical game to make would be a new non MMO Kotor game. They might not ofcourse, but it would be an odd choice since even if its bad, people will be hype for a new one. (Id prefer it be good though, but Bioware has fallen from grace ever since EA bought them)

LonePunman

Jan 3, 2016
Ok EA, you've chosen a good crew to helm it. NOW STAY THE FUCK OUT OF IT. It's Star Wars, it will sell. Let the creative minds do their thing.

Aw who am I kidding.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
X-Wing or TIE Fighter game or I don't care.

Okay, I will care because it's Star Wars, but...I'm not holding my breath. Battlefront certain felt and sounded like Star Wars, but it was just a hollow shell with a very pretty coat of paint. I want a story please.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'd say I'm cautiously optomestic about this. On one hand, it's a Star Wars game... On the other it is published by EA. So I'll be keeping an eye on this one as more news comes out, but I'm not stupid enough to get hyped about it.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Saelune said:
Jadak said:
Saelune said:
I mean way earlier, when Battlefront was announced as being made by DICE. So yes, DICE already put their entry in, ie Battlefront, but Bioware is definatly working on, or going to be working on a Star Wars game. The most logical game to make would be a new non MMO Kotor game. They might not ofcourse, but it would be an odd choice since even if its bad, people will be hype for a new one. (Id prefer it be good though, but Bioware has fallen from grace ever since EA bought them)
EA has learned from their mistreatment of Bioware in the last few years, so I think that basically anything coming from them at this point can be expected to be decent at the very least. Dragon Age: Inquisition, while not their most stellar game, was still pretty good and EA gave them the time needed to make it, rather than forcing them to rush it out like they did with Dragon Age 2. However, Bioware also had to cancel one of the new IPs they were trying to develop for who knows why, so its tough to predict how something new from them will turn out.

Given that Disney has declared the entire expanded universe (KO/TOR included, sadly) non-canon I'm not sure we can really hold out hope for a KOTOR 3/4 at this point. =( It would be interesting to see how they deal with a new Star Wars game in general, but I frankly feel like Bioware does their best work when they can make their own universe.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
To be fair Battlefront gave quite a bit of respect to the star wars legacy, just the gameplay was overly simplistic and managed to have a high barrier for entry. Maybe I'm just a big grump because I really wanted Battlefront to be good. I'm going to wait this one out and see what goes on with it.

That said and done please for fucks sake be good. And single player. EA isn't horrible when it does single player only games.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
A game made by the developers of Titanfall, an online only multiplayer shooter with no real campaign and I believe lots of DLC, making a star wars game for EA whos previous Star Wars game was an online only multiplayer shooter with ridiculous amounts of DLC and micro transactions that would make even Overkill studios blush.

Yeah no, I'm not even going to have the lowest expectations. History has condemed this out the gate. Show me SP and offline gameplay before I'll even look at it EA.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I hope it's single player (primarily). The inclusion of the word "legacy" gives me hope that it takes place in the Extended Universe.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
RicoADF said:
A game made by the developers of Titanfall, an online only multiplayer shooter with no real campaign and I believe lots of DLC, making a star wars game for EA whos previous Star Wars game was an online only multiplayer shooter with ridiculous amounts of DLC and micro transactions that would make even Overkill studios blush.
It's not like Titanfall was Respawn's first game. I mean, it was for the company, but not for the individuals working there. Aren't they supposed to be the people behind the good Call of Duty games?

And I wouldn't call Titanfall's DLC plentiful, they had like nine maps added and that was it.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Better be the second coming of Jedi Knight that we've all been ravenous for... (There's a Jedi Knight pun in there. A cookie if you can spot it.)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Better be the second coming of Jedi Knight that we've all been ravenous for... (There's a Jedi Knight pun in there. A cookie if you can spot it.)
I want the cookie!

This is hilarious. Nobody is excited. Yet we all know it will sell like hotcakes because gamers have no impulse control.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
Saelune said:
Jadak said:
Saelune said:
EA has learned from their mistreatment of Bioware in the last few years, so I think that basically anything coming from them at this point can be expected to be decent at the very least. Dragon Age: Inquisition, while not their most stellar game, was still pretty good and EA gave them the time needed to make it, rather than forcing them to rush it out like they did with Dragon Age 2. However, Bioware also had to cancel one of the new IPs they were trying to develop for who knows why, so its tough to predict how something new from them will turn out.

Given that Disney has declared the entire expanded universe (KO/TOR included, sadly) non-canon I'm not sure we can really hold out hope for a KOTOR 3/4 at this point. =( It would be interesting to see how they deal with a new Star Wars game in general, but I frankly feel like Bioware does their best work when they can make their own universe.
Then maybe a remake of Kotor 1, though not a point for point one. Revan is cool and having him canon I think is a must.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
I want the cookie!

This is hilarious. Nobody is excited. Yet we all know it will sell like hotcakes because gamers have no impulse control.

In terms of pure sales, it all comes down to advertising. That's all it is.