EA announces new single player Star Wars game by Respawn

Mar 30, 2010
So Star Wars - a famously story and character driven franchise - has been picked up by Respawn, who make games that, erm, aren't. 0.o

Please, please, please prove me wrong Respawn.

Please.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
That they showed a dead clone trooper has me excited. So many of post-Disney Star Wars seems allergic to the anything from the Prequels. I know the movies have a terrible rep, but the extended universe of that period was GREAT. Seeing EA ignore the Clone Wars in their first Battlefront really pissed me off.
They are also cutting up Venator class cruisers in the scene where Bland McWhitey's friend falls. So Respawn are definitely putting this game in context in terms of when it takes place and what they'll show.

CritialGaming said:
If any of you have any hope this game will be good, don't hold your breath. It's EA and unless they are completely writing this game off in terms of live-service and DLC nonsense to try and win people over, then the game isn't gonna be a stand out.
The developers are Respawn. Most of them worked on Modern Warfare back in the day and they are responsible for Titanfall and Apex: Legends as of late. Titanfall 2 got accolades for its single player campaign and both EA and Respawn has confirmed that this game will be free of mtx and live services. In fact, Respawn has been on record several times saying that EA basically only bank rolls them and that they have full creative freedom. So yeah, it is EA, but it is also from the EA owned developer that probably has the most freedom to do its own thing of all EA studios.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Wow, developers of no games that I care about announce a game about what I consider the least interesting aspect of Star Wars (the Jedi stuff.) I'm happy that EA seems to be going back on their "ban on anything that isn't a live service" edict... at least for the time being. But I just wish they would put the effort behind something I would like to play and would pay for to "vote with my wallet."

Feb 26, 2014
Gethsemani said:
Bob_McMillan said:
That they showed a dead clone trooper has me excited. So many of post-Disney Star Wars seems allergic to the anything from the Prequels. I know the movies have a terrible rep, but the extended universe of that period was GREAT. Seeing EA ignore the Clone Wars in their first Battlefront really pissed me off.
They are also cutting up Venator class cruisers in the scene where Bland McWhitey's friend falls. So Respawn are definitely putting this game in context in terms of when it takes place and what they'll show.

CritialGaming said:
If any of you have any hope this game will be good, don't hold your breath. It's EA and unless they are completely writing this game off in terms of live-service and DLC nonsense to try and win people over, then the game isn't gonna be a stand out.
The developers are Respawn. Most of them worked on Modern Warfare back in the day and they are responsible for Titanfall and Apex: Legends as of late. Titanfall 2 got accolades for its single player campaign and both EA and Respawn has confirmed that this game will be free of mtx and live services. In fact, Respawn has been on record several times saying that EA basically only bank rolls them and that they have full creative freedom. So yeah, it is EA, but it is also from the EA owned developer that probably has the most freedom to do its own thing of all EA studios.
It's also worth noting that EA has announced there will be no microtransactions or multiplayer in Fallen Order and that they won't be adding any post-launch.
Sauce: Eurogamer

I wonder what EA's angle is here. I don't trust that they've suddenly turned over a new leaf, especially considering recent Dragon Age 4 news. Maybe Disney is putting pressure on them to release something that isn't a storefront with a game attached? I don't have any reason to doubt Respawn, but the fact that EA is involved is always a concern.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Captain Marvelous said:
I wonder what EA's angle is here. I don't trust that they've suddenly turned over a new leaf, especially considering recent Dragon Age 4 news. Maybe Disney is putting pressure on them to release something that isn't a storefront with a game attached? I don't have any reason to doubt Respawn, but the fact that EA is involved is always a concern.
Eurogamers article today [https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-15-amy-hennig-reacts-to-jedi-fallen-order-announce-reveals-more-of-cancelled-single-player-star-wars-game-ragtag] about Amy Henig's reaction to Fallen Order probably revealed a major clue for those of us who aren't industry bigwigs: Respawn CEO Vince Zampella is also on the board of executives of EA. It is quite likely that he's using his personal clout in EA to give Respawn the creative freedom they want, as Respawn started as (and still is, far as I can tell) his passion project.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Captain Marvelous said:
It's also worth noting that EA has announced there will be no microtransactions or multiplayer in Fallen Order and that they won't be adding any post-launch.

While that is admirable, they said nothing about shitty DLC and season pass nonsense. They've shown nothing that they haven't cut up the story to sell you DLC story chapters that you'll have to buy to fill out the rest of the game. Until EA proves otherwise, I'm waiting to see how they'll fuck with this game because they always fuck with a game.

Even Respawn and Apex Legends, they've messed with to unveil one of the worst battle passes of all the BR games available. While Respawn might be free to make this game however they want, they are not completely free of EA sticking their fingers into it.

Apr 17, 2009
Thousands of worlds and thousands of species and our protagonist is another human white guy. C'mon, give us some variety, if only because some of those other species get nifty abilities

Nov 28, 2007
Palindromemordnilap said:
Thousands of worlds and thousands of species and our protagonist is another human white guy. C'mon, give us some variety, if only because some of those other species get nifty abilities
That, I agree with. There's so much room to be creative with the main character of a Star Wars game, yet it seems that if it's a single-player Star Wars game, you're only human after all.

Apr 17, 2009
thebobmaster said:
That, I agree with. There's so much room to be creative with the main character of a Star Wars game, yet it seems that if it's a single-player Star Wars game, you're only human after all.
Imagine a stealth game where you can be a Togruta, using a combination of their echolocation horn thingies and the Force to be an equivalent to the Arkham series detective vision. Or where you get to be a highly mobile Terrelian, leaping and bounding about. Or hell, let us play as a tricked out assassin droid, everyone loves IG-88. Why must it always be a human?

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
thebobmaster said:
Imagine a stealth game where you can be a Togruta, using a combination of their echolocation horn thingies and the Force to be an equivalent to the Arkham series detective vision. Or where you get to be a highly mobile Terrelian, leaping and bounding about. Or hell, let us play as a tricked out assassin droid, everyone loves IG-88. Why must it always be a human?
Is the issue that it's a human? Or that it's a white male human? Because I've seen problems specifically with that in other places.

If you are saying it's just because it's a human, then I think the answer is simple. A big part of what made Star Wars great originally was seeing Luke (as kind of a Naive everyman) suddenly stepping into this universe for the first time along with the audience. The aliens were there to present mystery, danger, and intrigue to Luke's plight. The universe was interesting because everything AROUND Luke was alien.

The same concept would presumably in place here. They want the audience to connect with this protagonist, relating to his humanity in a hostile alien universe around him. While it might be cool for you to play as an alien with unique abilities, it disconnects the player ultimately because you cannot relate to an alien being the same way. How could something be scary, or tense in the game when you have no context as to what that alien race would find threatening? How do you know a moment is stressful to the character if you have no context to how that alien could feel? The answer is you can't, and thus the main character is human in order to make sure that the most number of players connect with the situations that the character is forced through.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
The set-up looks a bit generic as does the main character. But, I'm willing to give it a shot. Respawn are really good at making fun, fluid movement systems and I'm a Star Wars junkie. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Feb 26, 2014
Gethsemani said:
Captain Marvelous said:
Eurogamers article today [https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-15-amy-hennig-reacts-to-jedi-fallen-order-announce-reveals-more-of-cancelled-single-player-star-wars-game-ragtag] about Amy Henig's reaction to Fallen Order probably revealed a major clue for those of us who aren't industry bigwigs: Respawn CEO Vince Zampella is also on the board of executives of EA. It is quite likely that he's using his personal clout in EA to give Respawn the creative freedom they want, as Respawn started as (and still is, far as I can tell) his passion project.
Now that is interesting and does alleviate some of my fears. I still won't be convinced until at least a month after the game releases, but things are looking slightly better.

CritialGaming said:
Captain Marvelous said:

While that is admirable, they said nothing about shitty DLC and season pass nonsense. They've shown nothing that they haven't cut up the story to sell you DLC story chapters that you'll have to buy to fill out the rest of the game. Until EA proves otherwise, I'm waiting to see how they'll fuck with this game because they always fuck with a game.

Even Respawn and Apex Legends, they've messed with to unveil one of the worst battle passes of all the BR games available. While Respawn might be free to make this game however they want, they are not completely free of EA sticking their fingers into it.
I absolutely agree that there's still reason to be cautious of EA. The fact that this is a licensed game of such a hot property basically guarantees the usual triple-A pre-order bullshit. Be prepared for Standard, Deluxe, Ultimate, and Jedi/Sith editions with in-game content split between them. And while microtransactions may not be a thing, they can still go the Koei route of just selling costumes and what-not as over-priced DLC. Better than Lootboxes, but still shitty. Only time will tell how EA's greed influences Fallen Order.

CritialGaming said:
thebobmaster said:
Is the issue that it's a human? Or that it's a white male human? Because I've seen problems specifically with that in other places.
That... That's really a separate issue that'd only be exasperated by the fact that they had an entire galaxy of potential, but could only come up with the generic default.

The same concept would presumably in place here. They want the audience to connect with this protagonist, relating to his humanity in a hostile alien universe around him. While it might be cool for you to play as an alien with unique abilities, it disconnects the player ultimately because you cannot relate to an alien being the same way. How could something be scary, or tense in the game when you have no context as to what that alien race would find threatening? How do you know a moment is stressful to the character if you have no context to how that alien could feel? The answer is you can't, and thus the main character is human in order to make sure that the most number of players connect with the situations that the character is forced through.
The thing is, non-human characters are typically just pallet swapped humans. They function almost entirely identical to human characters, but they have features and abilities that visibly differentiates them. Especially the Togruta, who are basically just humans with weird hair. Games are a visual medium, so characters can express fear or stress without clunky dialogue. Most alien races look roughly human and are capable of facial expressions that we'd understand. If Travis Knight can do it with Bumblebee (And Michael Bay could do it with Mutant Turtles), Respawn can do it with a Togruta. I'll admit, less humanoid aliens would be more difficult to work with, but I'd hardly say it's impossible.

Luke was also always the least interesting of the original trilogy characters to me, so trying to recapture his... blandness isn't exactly appealing. Especially since I could be playing as the cool, weird aliens instead of just watching them.

Apr 17, 2009
CritialGaming said:
Mostly thats he's a human. The fact that he's pretty much exactly the same type of human we've seen every time doesn't help

CritialGaming said:
If you are saying it's just because it's a human, then I think the answer is simple. A big part of what made Star Wars great originally was seeing Luke (as kind of a Naive everyman) suddenly stepping into this universe for the first time along with the audience. The aliens were there to present mystery, danger, and intrigue to Luke's plight. The universe was interesting because everything AROUND Luke was alien.
Which works in the first Star Wars film when everything was actually new. Doesn't hold up so much when Star Wars is a decades old billion dollar franchise and a lot of the marketing lately (even in the trailer for this game) has been along the "look at this thing you find familiar" angle.
And in this game, the protagonist clearly isn't the naive everyman. He already knows he's a Jedi, he already knows he's special, already knows he has superpowers.

CritialGaming said:
No context to what an alien would find threatening? Pretty sure "these people hurt you when they shoot you" is a fairly universal sign for "this is threatening". And if you're going to try and play that card, doesn't the same apply to the protagonist being a former padawan? Why should these people be threats to me when I have magic powers and training to control my emotions? Shouldn't I just cooly and calmly approach everything? Surely if they really wanted us to be able to connect with the character they should have made him a regular dude not a super-powered space monk? Because you know none of us are that thing so clearly we have no context to connect

Strategos

Jul 13, 2017
Hey, It's Star Wars. Why not? I always find though (at least in my experience) that the least good licensed Star Wars games are the ones that focus on Jedi and sith.

Let's see, top five. Republic Commando, Battlefront 2 (05 version), KOTOR 2, Bounty Hunter and Rogue Squadron 2.

Top five, only one of them has you play a force user.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Strategos said:
Hey, It's Star Wars. Why not? I always find though (at least in my experience) that the least good licensed Star Wars games are the ones that focus on Jedi and sith.

Let's see, top five. Republic Commando, Battlefront 2 (05 version), KOTOR 2, Bounty Hunter and Rogue Squadron 2.

You missed TIE FIGHTER. Lord Vader will not be pleased.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Dalisclock said:
Strategos said:

You missed TIE FIGHTER. Lord Vader will not be pleased.
I don't agree with his top 5 either, but his point is still very valid. Mine would have been TIE Fighter, X-Wing, X-Wing Alliance, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, and then Dark Forces... no Jedi there (they didn't ruin Dark Forces with Jedi stuff until the sequel.) You do have to go quite a way down my list until you get to playing as a force user, and even then its KotOR and turn based combat is where things like force combat work out best.