EA Attaches Mass Effect 3 DLC To Upcoming Dark Horse Books

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
EA Attaches Mass Effect 3 DLC To Upcoming Dark Horse Books

Are you a fan of Mass Effect 3's art? How about extra downloadable content?

We've known for a while that Dark Horse Comics would be publishing a Mass Effect art book appropriately titled The Art Of The Mass Effect Universe, but as of this morning the Milwaukie, Oregon-based comics firm has also revealed that the digital version of the tome will include codes to unlock DLC content in the PC and Xbox 360 iterations of Mass Effect 3.

To wit:

BioWare, a label of Electronic Arts, Inc., and Dark Horse Comics revealed today that fans who purchase the digital version of The Art of the Mass Effect Universe through Digital.DarkHorse.com will receive a limited code to unlock a Reinforcement Pack containing in-game items to be used on PC or the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system in the co-op campaign in 2012's most anticipated game, Mass Effect 3. Showcasing the unique and iconic art featured in the Mass Effect series, The Art of the Mass Effect Universe was released in print and digitally on February 8. Additionally, Mass Effect fans who purchase the digital version of the four-issue comic miniseries Mass Effect: Invasion at the Dark Horse Digital store will also receive a limited code to unlock a Reinforcement Pack.

As to what these so-called "Reinforcement Packs" include, the official press release helpfully outlines that as well:

Fans who gain access to the Reinforcement Packs will receive in-game items that can be used in the four-player cooperative multiplayer campaign in Mass Effect 3 on PC or Xbox 360. These packs will include powerful character boosters and the devastatingly lethal Collector Assault Rifle.

If you're suddenly in need of this art book, you can visit Dark Horse Digital and plunk down $25 for a copy [https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/1780.the-art-of-mass-effect-universe/].

Unless you're too busy being upset about the end of Mass Effect 3. That's cool too, I guess.

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Unless you're too busy being entitled and petulant about the end of Mass Effect 3. That's cool too, I guess.
Ouch. That's going to bring in a few spiteful comments...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
More unimportant multiplayer stuff, I honestly couldn't care less. What about this single player DLC that you promised?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Viper114 said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Unless you're too busy being entitled and petulant about the end of Mass Effect 3. That's cool too, I guess.
Seriously. Bad move Cavalli.

EDIT: I'll redact that comment actually. Flame-bait is a perfect way to get more hits ;D

Pinkjello

Nov 9, 2009
Viper114 said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
I guess that's The Importance of Being Earnest!
Oscar Wilde joke in before the flame war.

Neotericity

Legal Assassin
May 20, 2009
Mariena said:
"Unless you're too busy being entitled and petulant about the end of Mass Effect 3. That's cool too, I guess."
y u so judgmental?
Yeah wtf guy? Sorry I dont want to drop 100+ $ in the hopes of getting an actual conclusive narrative. I guess finished games are just to much to ask for these days... And that last line feels like something in an ign article inviting argument and hate, please show that the escapist is better than that in your next article, we're all human though so it happens, but c'mon as a writer for the community show that we are better than that.

Alamandorious

Mar 14, 2012
Alright...so I guess if you were sold a car, a car that was exalted by critics, that the designers had said 'would be the car that ties in all the improvements from previous models into a complete vehicle', and you complained about it when it arrived without a windshield that you, by your logic, should be accused of being petulent and feeling entitled.

Wow.

Seriously? We were told that everything we did mattered, that everything we did was taken into account...and we ended up with a choice of 'red, green, or blue', all of which discard everything we'd done until that point.

Feeling entitled? Not really. Feeling disappointed and cheated? Highly.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Fappy said:
Viper114 said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Seriously. Bad move Cavalli.
Not surprised. Its not the first time hes left flamebait in his newsposts, and im far from expecting it to be the last.

And people are being entitled and petulant about the ending of Mass Effect 3, so at least this time its a correct thing to say.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Oh calm down guys, it was a throwaway joke. If you'd received the deluge of links to that Mass Effect 3 petition that we have over the last 24 hours, you'd be a bit snarky too.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Alamandorious said:
Alright...so I guess if you were sold a car, a car that was exalted by critics, that the designers had said 'would be the car that ties in all the improvements from previous models into a complete vehicle', and you complained about it when it arrived without a windshield that you, by your logic, should be accused of being petulent and feeling entitled.

Wow.

Seriously? We were told that everything we did mattered, that everything we did was taken into account...and we ended up with a choice of 'red, green, or blue', all of which discard everything we'd done until that point.

Feeling entitled? Not really. Feeling disappointed and cheated? Highly.
Crap example.

Bioware said Mass Effect 3 would have a conclusion to the series, and it did come with that. The quality of the ending doesnt come into it.

This is much different from a car firm saying that a car would come with a windshield then not including one, because thats an actual felony.

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
I don't care either way. No skin off my nose. But lo and behold, the "hurt" come retaliating...

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Wow, EA really knows how to build a multiplayer community. I hope they don't start forcing this sort of thing on DICE.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Zeel said:
Make it rain.

If Mass Effect 3 doesn't set the record for Most-amount-of-DLC's in the history of gaming, i'll be shocked.
There is no way ME3 can win this, Zeel. Have you seen how much DLC Railworks 3: Train simulator 2012 has? 99 pieces, totally at £1128.56 at moment of posting.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Earnest Cavalli said:
Oh calm down guys, it was a throwaway joke. If you'd received the deluge of links to that Mass Effect 3 petition that we have over the last 24 hours, you'd be a bit snarky too.
I just don't think you understand the situation the Bioware Social Network is in right now. Any amount of flame-bait, no matter how small or insignificant, will bring in a shitstorm. Seriously, I sympathize with the movement but there is definitely a bit of a mob mentality going on. If you want I can loan you my +1 flameshield.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
It is still flamebait.

That, for once, I totally agree with you on :D

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
So the physical copies don't have codes? Wat? Most people are gonna want the actual physical book I think.

Oh are they trying to set up an online comic service and that's why? Cool if so.

And LOL at that last sentence, frankly there's been far too much backlash over the ending, Yes it didn't make sense but it's like everyone just forgot that the rest of the game existed. The rest of the game was beyond awesome!

I mean, it's no Persona 4 but... You can see it from here

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Awesome, some unimportant pointless DLC that people will blow out of all proportion when your not forced to buy and nor does the extra content matter. Im guessing 20 threads about this. Seriously, how do these people survive the real world when something as disappointing game ending makes them almost have a heart attack. Yes, the ending was disappointing, but seriously, get over it. Im a major fan and played ME1 and ME2 5 times and i love the lore and codex. But with ME3 i was more disappointed with only one area to explore "Citidal" and the pointless "some guy in citidal will have use for "random object" missions. There are other games with worse endings i could ***** about.