EA Brings PS3 Crysis 2 Demo to Abrupt End

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
EA Brings PS3 Crysis 2 Demo to Abrupt End

EA killed the demo so it could get the actual launch right.

EA has announced that it is shutting down the PS3 multiplayer demo of Crysis 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Limited-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA1MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300451264&sr=8-1] in order to iron out the bugs before the game's release next week. Players were noticing delays when trying to connect to servers, which made actually playing the multiplayer-only demo rather tricky.

EA said that its priority was on making sure that Crysis 2 had a "flawless" launch. EA said that it had identified the root cause of the issues, but with just days to go before the release of the game itself, it decided that the best use of resources would be to kill the demo and make sure that the same thing didn't happen post-release. The PS3 was the last platform to get the Crysis 2 demo, which went live on March 15th. It came two weeks later than the PC version, and more than a month behind the Xbox 360 version.

EA was vague about exactly when the demo was going down, saying that it would be in the "next 24" hours, but not giving a specific time. PS3 players are understandably upset by this turn of events, with some going as far as to say that this decision has actually soured them against buying the game. What must be especially frustrating is that had PS3 players not been left waiting until the very last minute, then this issue might have been caught and fixed sooner, allowing them to get the same experience that players on other platforms had.

Crysis 2 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 22nd.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/294170/news/ea-closes-ps3-crysis-2-beta-to-fix-problems/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

BigbadaBEEF

Jan 5, 2009
this really really pissed me off, i only got to play 2 and a half games in the end and i'd been looking forward to this demo since i caught a glimpse of the pc version the other day.

Dear Crytek, i will not be able to afford the full version of your game when it gets released, so thanks for this

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Translation: the game is about to be launched and we want people to buy it instead of playing the demo.

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
When atlas closed the catherine demo wasn't it in part cause sony charges the developers to have demos up? Honestly demos are the kinds of things I'd like archived so someone can find the demo after the release.

I know it would help me know if i wanted to shell out the money for the game. Especially when it comes to new vs used. Sometimes I've ended up buying games i would have bought new used because i didn't want to risk as much on a game i was unsure about.

But maybe thats just me.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
damn it all! I JUST downloaded that, never got the chance to play it, still shooters were never my favorite thing about gaming, so I'm not that disappointed

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
you guys aint missing much ...
it was call of duty with suit powers ....

and lots and lots of random crashing for no reason.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
From a PC gamer...

http://www.smiteahippie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

You're like us now!

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Well...this hardly seems to be leading up to a "flawless" launch. I can't imagine that move has done more good than bad for them. Publicity-wise, of course, which is going to be a factor if "flawless" is their goal.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
so they've (from what ive read and experienced) released a xbox 360 demo in poor condition with terrible connection and lag problems, pissed off the pc community (of which im part of) with a low console ported version of the game (of which no response from crytek) and then they pull the plug on the ps3 version early with problems in the demo causing outcry from ps3 owners... good job ^_^

Raiyan 1.0 said:
From a PC gamer...

http://www.smiteahippie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

You're like us now!
couldn't help but lol

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That is completely stupid. Demo's are the games primary means of being tested by it's user base. Here is another tip, because a game is out, leave the demo up still. This is how it has been done on the PC forever. I can download the demo of a game that came out two years ago and play it. This is where console developers/publishers fail, they lack the ability to see what an aspect of a product is actually for.

Meh, the game is over priced anyway, I am not gonna be buying it for the lame multiplayer. When it goes on a Steam super sale, I'll pick it up. Though, I know that EA also doesn't care about sales after the first six months, so..... maybe I won't buy it at all. I don't think I'll be missing much.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
silverbullet1989 said:
so they've (from what ive read and experienced) released a xbox 360 demo in poor condition with terrible connection and lag problems, pissed off the pc community (of which im part of) with a low console ported version of the game (of which no response from crytek) and then they pull the plug on the ps3 version early with problems in the demo causing outcry from ps3 owners... good job ^_^
Yeah, they managed to alienate the entire gaming community in one fell swoop! That has to take some skill (or maybe lack there-of).

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
RejjeN said:
silverbullet1989 said:
Yeah, they managed to alienate the entire gaming community in one fell swoop! That has to take some skill (or maybe lack there-of).
Rule 16: If you fail in epic proportions, it may just become a winning failure.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Whew, now I don't feel bad about having never intended to but it. Thanks, EA!

Lillowh said:
RejjeN said:
silverbullet1989 said:
Rule 16: If you fail in epic proportions, it may just become a winning failure.
Crytek did fail in epic proportions, but in this case it does not become a win. Merely a gelatinous failure.

Freshman

Jan 8, 2010
I remember this demo, played 5 or 6 games, and they were all super lagtastic. Like I'd shoot a guy and he wouldn't die until seconds afterwards. Hope they'll be fixing that up.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
demo reaffirmed everything i had thought the game would be. generic.

Good luck on your sales Crytek.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
From a PC gamer...

You're like us now!
They were always like us, just a little different but this completes the corruption.