EA CEO Wants Its Games to Fail For the "Right Reasons"

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Riccitiello had the same awareness of the company's problems. It didn't amount to much.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
But they ARE failing for the right reasons.
They are failing for being bad games.
They are failing for being full of DRM.
they are failing for treating consumers as a scum.
They are failing for being a license and not a product.
They are failing for being dead sequels instead of innovative games.
Those are all reasons they deserve to fail. What they are not failing because is stuff like piracy. Piracy has never had siginifcant inpact on sales, if anything, it increased it based on research done so far.

However, i do have how this new management in EA will at least try to turn things around a bit, and he seems to at least have his heart in the right place, even if he doesnot know knowledge of the market itself yet.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Stop using the term "broadening the audience" or "stream lining features" when you really mean dumbing down a game (because you know all people are stupid.right?), and removing features. ME 2 and 3 has made me fear those sentences, I just get sad when any company uses them now.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
StewShearer said:
In addition to just averting future mistakes like this however, Wilson thinks the company needs to produce better products. "We need a mechanism and a process which we can get to [produce] better games more quickly," he said. In turn, he says the publisher wants to promote "a culture of innovation inside the company that actually starts a lot more stuff but at the same time kills a bunch more stuff before it gets to market so that we can give ourselves more short-term goals to get to that next innovative product."
Um. No, millionaire Andrew Wilson, we don't hate on EA because it's "not creative enough." We hate on EA because EA hates on consumers every single chance it gets. You don't need a "culture of innovation." You need Wheaton's Law.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Do I only get abusive-alcoholic-who-claims-he-loves-his-wife-after-beating-her-to-bloody-pulp-for-9025489-time-and-promises-he-will-change vibe from this?
People can't be THAT naive, can't they?
Please tell me no one bought this BS!

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Alright guys if this has not been said before I'll give you the TL;DR

"Hey gamers! We work REALLY hard on our games and even though we don't tell you what goes on behind the scenes for the most part we want you to know that you should LOVE our game because of how much time and work we put in it! Even if it is a huge misguided and poorly executed game, its not our fault we get bad reviews either, its the gamers! They don't understand good content! So we just wanted to let you guys know that your opinion means jack to us and we know we are right so shove off."

Pretty much sums EA up.

C14N

May 28, 2008
"We need a mechanism and a process which we can get to [produce] better games more quickly"

Perhaps we're misreading this line. Maybe he just means he wants to focus more on getting EA's "good games" out more quickly, although honestly, anything in gaming that says "more quickly" sounds like bad news to me. Honestly though I've never gotten on board with the EA hate. They make a lot of crappy games but I don't buy them so I don't care. I understand people getting annoyed at how customer services handled the Sim City problem as well as not making the game playable on launch but the rabbling existed long before that.

head desk tricycle

Aug 14, 2010
EA will never change, they've been doing this since they got the Madden license in the 80s and started making real money. That's exactly when this started, they've said this stuff multiple times since then and they've never changed one bit, and I am so intrigued that people will still buy their games even though they would destroy video games if they had the chance, and have repeatedly demonstrated this right in our faces.