EA Changes Origin Terms of Services, Forbids Class Action Lawsuits

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Shycte said:
albino boo said:
Shycte said:
Jaredin said:
theblackmonk90 said:
Quite frankly i'm disgusted that the Supreme Court has stated this kind of corporate bullsh*t is enforceable. Thank God I live in the UK.
Aye, for once the EU comes through for us!
It might have costed us billions, but finaly someone who isn't a farmer can make use for EU. This is the happiest day of my life.
Small but important point. Class actions, as used in the US, are not legal in the EU anyway. Class actions and US and parts of Canada only. So the EU, which in now going to cost Trillions not billions, does absolutely nothing.
Aren't you contradicting yourself now? EU forbids these lawsuits, but doesn't help in making them illegal? Okay?....
I suggest you try a course in English comprehension. I said they aren't legal, not illegal and at no point did I say that were made illeagel by EU law. The member states of the EU have at no point made legislation enabling class action law suits in the same manner as the US and parts of Canada. So to reiterate, for the hard of thinking, the EU does nothing and has never done anything what so ever about class action law suits.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Won't ever use origin anyway. I tried eadm once when they tried giving away mass effect 2 but I couldn't get it to work for anything. I don't trust ea's ability to make a download manager or estore client

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Kapol said:
And so it begins... before long, this will be considered standard, and people will not give a crap because it doesn't matter at the time. This pretty much seals it. I'm never using Origin again... not that I ever did before.
Yeah, non-issue for me.

Origin is laughable.

I spent 2 hours trying to get access to EA games I bought (sims 3 stuff) and gave up. They can eat it.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
albino boo said:
Shycte said:
albino boo said:
Shycte said:
Jaredin said:
theblackmonk90 said:
Quite frankly i'm disgusted that the Supreme Court has stated this kind of corporate bullsh*t is enforceable. Thank God I live in the UK.
It might have costed us billions, but finaly someone who isn't a farmer can make use for EU. This is the happiest day of my life.
Small but important point. Class actions, as used in the US, are not legal in the EU anyway. Class actions and US and parts of Canada only. So the EU, which in now going to cost Trillions not billions, does absolutely nothing.
Aren't you contradicting yourself now? EU forbids these lawsuits, but doesn't help in making them illegal? Okay?....
I suggest you try a course in English comprehension. I said they aren't legal, not illegal and at no point did I say that were made illeagel by EU law. The member states of the EU have at no point made legislation enabling class action law suits in the same manner as the US and parts of Canada. So to reiterate, for the hard of thinking, the EU does nothing and has never done anything what so ever about class action law suits.
Whoa dude? Did I hit a sensivite point or anything? No need to get all mad.

Call me stupid if you wish, but what is the diffrence between it not being legal, and it being illegal?
I said they aren't legal, not illegal

You are saying that it isn't legal in the EU, but that EU has nothing to do with that. Are you saying that they forbidd it on their own? I'm not questioning what you are saying, I'm just trying to make sense of it.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Shycte said:
Jaredin said:
theblackmonk90 said:
Well, for someone who already isn't a rich cattle farmer. Anyone who wasn't already making money or was a homemade-cheese maker got f*cked over.
You can say what you want about EU, but I know some farmers and Pro-Tip, they aren't all that loaded.

I have nothing against EU; but they should remove their agricultural subsidies, because if they do that, we can seriously lower it's costs. And you know, help people in Africa and South America from starving to death because they can't sell their products on a European market. But mostly just to lower the costs.

Apr 28, 2008
Braedan said:
Gamers are fucking pussies. And god damn retarded.

We see a company trying to make us forfeit rights and get a little miffed, then go bend over and buy all the company's crap.
We see hats for sale and we FLIP A SHIT.
We petition for the stupidest shit, then do nothing when companies actually try to attack us.

No one is standing up for themselves and it's creating an industry where it's ok to lock people out of their products, and refuse refunds for broken, buggy games.
Indeed. It's really sad to see that people are brushing off the fact that EA is making us sign away a constitutional right(7th amendment, right to a trial by jury) and are saying that we're all just bitching.

Fucking unreal.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
As long as people are dumb enough to click 'OK', they will keep trying to have you click more of your rights away.

Go ahead and 'enjoy' yourself America!

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Irridium said:
Andy Chalk said:
you and EA are foregoing the right to sue in court and have a trial by jury."
So... does the seventh amendment of the US constitution just not count anymore or something?

Because the Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury, and I don't think EA is above the constitution.
Well, tell that to the 18 year old girl that was gang-raped working for a Defense Contractor in Iraq then locked in a storage crate while her co-workers tried to cover it up. She wasn't allowed to sue her company because of her binding arbitration clause.

I'm actually quite happy with these recent developments because I have long been concerned with the steady growth in both frequency and length of Terms of Service and End User License Agreements. The legality of these "click through" contracts I really want questioned in the highest courts of our country and I don't see that happening until some corporation does something very egregious in one.

Honestly, I'm holding out hope for our courts only because I doubt our politicians will do something about it.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Irridium said:
Braedan said:
Gamers are fucking pussies. And god damn retarded.

We see a company trying to make us forfeit rights and get a little miffed, then go bend over and buy all the company's crap.
We see hats for sale and we FLIP A SHIT.
We petition for the stupidest shit, then do nothing when companies actually try to attack us.

No one is standing up for themselves and it's creating an industry where it's ok to lock people out of their products, and refuse refunds for broken, buggy games.
Indeed. It's really sad to see that people are brushing off the fact that EA is making us sign away a constitutional right(7th amendment, right to a trial by jury) and are saying that we're all just bitching.

Fucking unreal.
I concur.
It doesn't bloody matter what others will do, if others don't want a right, they can sure as hell have it taken away. Thus why I didn't get origin, I don't want to support EA, their business strategies OR anyone developing for them.

If anyone from EA who decided this was a good idea, look below.

I'd just wait, origin won't get enough of a foot hold for it to be a good digital distribution service anyhow. Even if that doesn't happen, they still have to enjoy lawsuits for the system not working how it should.

To the goverment: Y U LET BUIZNESS GET MORE POWER THEN YOU!

Aggieknight said:
Irridium said:
Andy Chalk said:
you and EA are foregoing the right to sue in court and have a trial by jury."
So... does the seventh amendment of the US constitution just not count anymore or something?

Because the Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury, and I don't think EA is above the constitution.
Well, tell that to the 18 year old girl that was gang-raped working for a Defense Contractor in Iraq then locked in a storage crate while her co-workers tried to cover it up. She wasn't allowed to sue her company because of her binding arbitration clause.

I'm actually quite happy with these recent developments because I have long been concerned with the steady growth in both frequency and length of Terms of Service and End User License Agreements. The legality of these "click through" contracts I really want questioned in the highest courts of our country and I don't see that happening until some corporation does something very egregious in one.

Honestly, I'm holding out hope for our courts only because I doubt our politicians will do something about it.
Can you get me of a example from US, or is the laws very much similar between Iraq and here?

OMGIllithan

Mar 28, 2009
I think people are slightly overreacting to this. They're not taking away your right to take them to court, they're just taking away the right to create a lawsuit in which you attempt to represent a group of people larger than yourself. For example, that kid who got banned from XBL and tried to sue Microsoft for damages can't claim to represent every person who got banned and claim damages for them as well.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Do EA want bad publicity this much? It seems like a conscious choice on their part of late.

I mean really, trial by jury is the most fundamental part of a legal system in a democratic country. I would argue that it is a basic right and this could never be enforced.

But as we all know, whatever you *agree* to is automatically Law.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Here's how I read this and nearly got my hopes up....
Andy Chalk said:
EA Changes Origin Terms of Services
YES!!!! EA have changed the TOS of Origin to remove the spyware and make it optional like Steam. Now I can pre-order BF3. Yay...
, Forbids Class Action Lawsuits
Aww damn it! BF3 is really looking like it is never going to get brought.

Thing is though, how long till Steam add it to their TOS.....

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The one class action lawsuit I was even remotely involved with ended up resulting in piles and piles of paperwork to sift through to even make a claim, and when it was all done, they decided not to follow through anyway. Because they felt like it. There wasn't any kind of particular reason given.

That being said, removing the system entirely doesn't exactly equate to fixing it.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Shycte said:
Whoa dude? Did I hit a sensivite point or anything? No need to get all mad.

Call me stupid if you wish, but what is the diffrence between it not being legal, and it being illegal?
I said they aren't legal, not illegal

You are saying that it isn't legal in the EU, but that EU has nothing to do with that. Are you saying that they forbidd it on their own? I'm not questioning what you are saying, I'm just trying to make sense of it.

Illegal infers that there is an active proscription against something i.e murder is illegal. Where as not legal infers that there is need something to make it legal, i.e. you need legislation to sue politicians personally for decisions they make in office.

At present no EU country has chosen to enact legislation enabling class actions in anything like the US manner. These decision are taken purely by the national governments with no consultation with EU, or other governments and its is also not covered by the human rights act. To put it simply EU has about as much influence over the whether to put class action into law as it does about the price of big mac and fries in Chile. The reason why the exclusion was put in to the new ToS, was probably lawyers worried about contravening EU consumer protection laws about contracts for which they can be sued on an individual bases. Personally I don't think the case would stand in court but its cheaper to remove that possibility seeing that class actions in Europe don't happen.

Pyrokinesis

Dec 3, 2007
As if Origin wasent already a terrible idea... now this. -2 internets for EA, and they only seem to keep bringing it down. Im not going to use origin when i can just get the console version of their few non-terrible games and bypass that system all together. Console or Steam, i dont seem much room for improvement.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
How many times have any of you gone "OH MY GOD I NEED TO GET IN ON THIS CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!"

Even after the PSN fiasco I had no such feelings. I've never felt such a need and I'd be willing to bet 99% of you haven't either.

Class action suits are usually by firms trying to make a quick buck after some kind of disaster.

It's sensationalist journalism on non-news, trying to get page-views.
Yeah but it's pretty much means if they really really really screw up you can't have a calss action lawsuit against them at all. Why worry about screwing up they can't be sued, why should they make sure they keep the best quality instead of the bare minimum? Hell they can make a console that has a high break down rate and not have to worry about a lawsuit cause of said breakdown rate (unlike microsoft who had a class action lawsuit about the 360 break downs so easy).

So while some are for a quick buck, others have forced companies to fix the damn problem or learn from their mistake.

Dec 27, 2010
Shycte said:
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Shycte said:
Well, for someone who already isn't a rich cattle farmer. Anyone who wasn't already making money or was a homemade-cheese maker got f*cked over.
You can say what you want about EU, but I know some farmers and Pro-Tip, they aren't all that loaded.

I have nothing against EU; but they should remove their agricultural subsidies, because if they do that, we can seriously lower it's costs. And you know, help people in Africa and South America from starving to death because they can't sell their products on a European market. But mostly just to lower the costs.
Well yeah, I sorta knew that. I hate the EU and it's increasing imperialism as much as the next guy, I was saying that the only farmers who benefited from it were already making money before it's grants, while farmers who had originally farmed mainly for food and the little money it took to buy what they couldn't produce (ie: my grandparents) were thrown into a commercial market where they made only moderate amounts of profit until they were convinced to sell up their land for forestry. So yeah, I agree with you.