EA Confirms No Battlefield 3 on Steam

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Confirms No Battlefield 3 on Steam

Electronic Arts has confirmed that Battlefield 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Limited-Pc/dp/B002I0HJZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1312820896&sr=8-3] will not be released on Steam.

A list of digital distributors carrying EA's upcoming Battlefield 3 turned up [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111562-Battlefield-3-May-Not-Reach-Steam] in mid-July and then disappeared without a word, but before it could slip out of sight a few sharp-eyed observers noticed that Steam was not among them. In light of the recent Origin-slash-DLC-fueled passive-aggressive dust-up between EA and Valve, most people came to the obvious conclusion: no Battlefield 3 on Steam.

To nobody's great surprise, that is in fact the situation, as EA has confirmed with Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5828309/you-cant-buy-battlefield-3-on-steam%5C] that the game will not be on Valve's digital platform. "Battlefield 3 will not be available on Steam as the service restricts our ability to directly support players," a rep said. "The service limits our ability to deliver patches and downloadable content directly to players. No other download service has adopted these practices. At EA, supporting our players is a top priority, and we are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our own consumers."

If that has a ring of familiarity to it, it's likely because it's basically the same thing EA said about the earlier disappearances from Steam of Modern Warfare [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Pc/dp/B002BS47YE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1312820988&sr=8-3] from its perch atop the genre.

Battlefield 3 comes out on October 25 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

willer357

Dec 22, 2008
"EA Confirms it will be a Jackass"
Top story.

*Edit*

Because it's harder to connect with players? On the most loved digital collection program ever made for games- the one that automatically updates ALL of the games that you have installed on them the second the updates come out, and that updates them anyways the very second you install them?

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
So before all the steam lovers start bashing EA. This is not EA's fault as the article says the game will be available on many different on-line services, just not steam. So it is not like EA are trying to make it exclusive so they can put others out of business. The real issue is Steam's terms being more restrictive than other on-line services.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009

Now that it's not on Steam,I officially don't give a shit about it. Because I am not downloading EA's stupid ass attempt to trump Valve just to play a first person shooter.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I'm just hoping EA don't pull more of their games off Steam and other publishers don't follow suit in creating their own digital distribution platforms. I suppose with time Battle.net will become the Activision equivalent, but I can't help but feeling that we consumers will be the worse off for all these pointless quarrels.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
So before all the steam lovers start bashing EA. This is not EA's fault as the article says the game will be available on many different on-line services, just not steam. So it is not like EA are trying to make it exclusive so they can put others out of business. The real issue is Steam's terms being more restrictive than other on-line services.
the only real competitor is steam, its the biggest online distribution platform, and its a dick move to not release the game on it. bad company 2 worked fine on it.

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
"The service limits our ability to deliver patches and downloadable content directly to players."

You have to give EA's people props for being able to lie so easily. Most people have at least some compunction about lying, being moral, ethical, or what have you. EA? Nothing but straight (-up deceptive) talk.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
*Reads article*

So... What was that about beating Call of Duty in sales?

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Congratulations EA, you just killed your PC fanbase and it isn't coming back. Not that it was going to outsell more than MW3 (though it's probably better than MW3), but now it's certainly not going to.

Good thing I wasn't hell-bent on getting this.

schizow

Jun 1, 2011
I don't see the big deal to be honnest. Sure having it on steam would be better but who is to say origin isnt gonna work? Aslong as I can play the game and enjoy it without any big problems its fine by me.

figday

Mar 22, 2011
y'know. im all for competitions and shit, as long as its healthy.
but so far the things i've read about EA and Origins, it points otherwise.
i'll just watch where this goes..

The Reverend

Jan 28, 2008
Alphakirby said:
Now that it's not on Steam,I officially don't give a shit about it. Because I am not downloading EA's stupid ass attempt to trump Valve just to play a first person shooter.
You dont need Origin to play BF3, you can buy retail (or from another service) and play it without ever touching Origin.

Honestly, I've dl'ed origin, and can see no problems with it as yet. And some competition to Steam is never a bad thing. Capitalism folks, get used to it.

Unless you live in China or North Korea.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Stop playing the victim you assholes. You know what happened the last time you tried to sell your DLC ingame? The salesman in Dragon Age: Origins? Yeah, people hated that then. Blaming Valve for not being able to do that isn't going to win you sympathy.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
I feel like giving the "Darth Vader cry", but I sort of aren't that hyped about Battlefield 3, to be honest. I guess Skyrim grabbed it all to itself.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
What, issues with downloadable content? Oh yeah because games like Magicka, Dragon Age: Origins, Fallout: New Vegas and Borderlands have so many issues with delivering DLC and other services all thanks to Steam. Riiiiight...

Look EA, pulling it from Steam is one thing, just talking plain bullshit about why you did it is going too far. Whatever EA, as long as it doesn't hamper the quality of the game I don't care what you do.
Alphakirby said:
minimacker said:
I feel like giving the "Darth Vader cry", but I sort of aren't that hyped about Battlefield 3, to be honest. I guess Skyrim grabbed it all to itself.
*sigh, monotous voice because he repeated this so many times*

You can still get it in a (web)shop if you like. No need to buy it from EA's crappy store.