EA 'Couldn't Be More Happy' With The Old Republic Launch

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
EA 'Couldn't Be More Happy' With The Old Republic Launch

Despite issues ranging from the serious to the hilarious, EA reckons the launch of Star Wars: The old Republic has gone swimmingly.

The long-awaited MMO has clocked up over one million subscribers as of last week, with market analysts putting its peak user concurrence at around 350,000. The launch hasn't gone entirely smoothly, however. Players have had to suffer through numerous bugs, ranging from serous performance issues [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115135-BioWare-Responds-To-TOR-Framerate-Issues] and missing features, to Jedi-pixies [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnbqZrnxvYY] and immortality-bestowing dance routines [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115034-UPDATE-Players-Banned-for-Breakdancing-in-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic].

In an interview with Industry Gamers, EA Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore said he couldn't be more pleased with the launch, minuscule-Jedi or no.

"I was watching every hour of every day because a lot of the work we needed to do in Customer Experience reports directly to me - even though BioWare handles its own customer service as you probably know. But look, there's a reason it's an MMO; it's a massive game and when I think of all the MMOs I have seen launched I can't think of one that has been launched flawlessly. There's so much you don't know and when you've got a million people coming in and playing, I'd like to be able to guarantee a completely flawless experience from a technology perspective, from an interaction perspective, but again I look at it every hour and when we look at the queue times to get on the servers, the amount of downtime that is scheduled, it's green lights all the way. I couldn't be more happy.

We're only three weeks in since the launch and we're stable, we're robust and adding people. It was a wrapped phase up, and we made sure for the people as they came in that they had a great experience. Was it perfect? No. Did anybody really expect something of this magnitude and complexity to be perfect? No, but the key is how you resolve those problems and move on quickly and I think our teams have done that well."
While I expect MMO launches to be buggy, I did wrinkle my snobby, PC-gamer nose in disgust when I realized the game had launched without an anti-aliasing option. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115125-The-Old-Republic-Is-Looking-a-Bit-Smoother]

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ea-couldnt-be-more-happy-with-star-wars-launch/]

Dec 14, 2009
I was curious about this game, but I just can't convince myself that it's worth the initial cost of the game and then a subscription.

Guild Wars 2 will probably be my next MMO title (if at all), simply because I won't feel compelled to play it all the time to get the most out of a subscription.

Feb 13, 2008
So the scheduled maintenance today that was unscheduled is just a teething issue. Along with the daily emergency patches...

We'll see how many stay.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
I was curious about this game, but I just can't convince myself that it's worth the intial cost of the game and then a subscription.

Guild Wars 2 will probably be my next MMO title (if at all), simply because I won't feel compelled to play it all the time to get the most out of a subscription.
Yeah i'm probably going to wait fr Guild Wars 2 as well...

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
MrBrightside919 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I was curious about this game, but I just can't convince myself that it's worth the intial cost of the game and then a subscription.

Guild Wars has been the best game purchase I've made since System Shock 2. They've got my money for GW2.

Dec 14, 2009
RvLeshrac said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Guild Wars has been the best game purchase I've made since System Shock 2. They've got my money for GW2.
Well I've put more than 1000 hours into the original Guild Wars.

I haven't touched the game in a while, mostly due to how PvE is pretty much broken with PvE only skills and the PvP is quite unbalanced now.

GW2 is looking great though, especially now there's no dedicated healing class. It will be interesting to see how all the different classes work with each other.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Oddly on the AA option, the game looks beautiful under 16x Anti Aliasing. Its there, but its more to the effect that its hidden because it DOES cause problems and has yet to be worked out fully.

I know on my rig I can certainly handle 16x AA on it, but when I tried to experiment and see if it could handle 64x AA (GFX 560) it locked me into 16xAA mode with no way of reverting back to even unAA and also cost me the ability to see dynamic holoterminals. Which really sucks because the game excessively abuses the use of holo terminals

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Grey Carter said:
While I expect MMO launches to be buggy, I did wrinkle my snobby, PC-gamer nose in disgust when I realized the game had launched without an anti-aliasing option. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115125-The-Old-Republic-Is-Looking-a-Bit-Smoother]
I said the same thing in that very thread. How do you launch a PC exclusive without one of the staples of PC gaming?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's gone fine. No big problems here. The only problem I am starting to have is the low amount of content. And before anyone says it, no, the voice acting doesn't make it a better game. But it is a fine game, don't get me wrong.

Was it a perfect launch? Not at all. Was it the worst launch I have ever been apart of? Not by a long shot.

Edit: I find the subscriber number pretty weird, weren't they saying that they reserved over 1.5 Million copies before launch? You can't even play the game till you sign up for a plan it seems like.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Ya, it's been a very smooth launch from what I've experienced. Glad to see Bioware are reaping the rewards for a great game.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting.

I've been short on time and not playing as much as I would like (my main is only Level 33) but it seems to me that the results have been fairly mediocre despite my personal love of the game (for the moment) although I haven't been rushing. During one of their lists for "best games of the year" a mention was made of "worst games of the year" on Gamefaqs it was mentioned that ToR had some of the most negative reaction they had received.

I've personally noticed that there seems to be a substantial drop off of players within the game itself very quickly. It also hasn't gone unnoticed that people were maxxing out muliple characters within the first couple of weeks, and that there is only ONE raid (operation) at the time of launch.

I have no doubt the initial sales were strong, but I already see some bad signs here. The first free month isn't quite over and you already have rumblings about boredom and a lack of content. A lot of people seemed to be banking on EA having learned from the failure of other MMOs and putting in enough content to sustain the serious gamers who are the lifeblood of MMOs at the endgame which is the most important part of the game as it's where people wind up. Rather they invested heavily in every other part of the game, and while it's quite a ride to get there it's a matter of seeing everything pretty quickly and then seeing how long you can entertain yourself with the limited array of options. I think the reports of the 400 million dollar budget was part of their success, but the reveals of it being 130 million dollars upon release and the actual results has some people comparing it to DCUO in terms of high quality content, but not enough of it there.

I'll be with the game a few months yet I imagine as I'm taking my time, but honestly while the game has a ton of potential, I have some concern over whether it's ever going to reach that potential. I expect companies to ALWAYS put on a strong face given stock concerns, but I can't help but wonder if EA is overdoing it here a bit, especially seeing as they seem to be flying a premature "Mission Accomplished" banner when they haven't determined how many players they are going to be holding onto yet.

As a veteran MMO player I kind of consider the three or four month mark to be the real point where "launch" ends because at that point you see the initial bug fixes, what the company reactions have been like, and how the game and it's community is going to function (ie did they pace the economy well, did they balance competing factions and classes? Did the PVP work in practice, how many players stayed and how big is the community?).

Don't misunderstand this, it's a great game, I want to see it succeed more than just about any MMO out there, but I have to turn a veteran eye to it and compare it to past experience and look at the trends.

Mark my words on something, the next true blockbuster of an MMO is going to be when a company realizes endgame focus is the most important feature to keeping players re-upping their subscription and creates one that truely glows. I also think that the current trend of creating high quality content in terms of voice acting and things like that is a dead end, as while neat at the end of the day players want stuff they can actually work with. That kind of thing is nice, but while I could be proven wrong I think at the end of the day ToR probably would have done better to have done most of the quests with text and instead had invested that budget into endgame content.

This is just my observations and opinions.

Sep 24, 2008
I think what people are forgetting is that we as gamers simply evolved. Yes, we have character maxing already, but it's because we have people who are such questers that they have been doing this for years. I think any game developer will be hard pressed to keep any die hard mmorpg player from maxing their characters for two reasons.

One is because it's simply new. WoW players (to touch the largest base) have been looking for something new for years. And thankfully, this game has a built in fan base that overlaps. How many people here dreamed of being a jedi or Han Solo or the Next Darth Vader growing up? This is a finalization of a dream, the closest we will ever come. Of course we're going to eat it up and ask for more as we lick the plate clean.

I already touched on the second reason, leveling is an old rote for most of us by now. We know what to od. It'll take a few days to get used to the new systems, and then we will grind. That's what we do. What should have Bioware done? Made it harder to get Exp? There will be expansions as long as the base continues strong. We will get more content. This isn't a world like WoW. this is a Galaxy. The developers can EASILY add new planets and systems because they want to.

And my God, if they just allow me to burn the Gungans down for existing and thereby allowing Jar Jar Binks reason to enter this realm, I will sell my soul to the Sith and never look back.

reCaptcha: the aqualfa.

... Well Played, reCaptcha... Well played, indeed.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Grey Carter said:
It also launched without High resolution texture packs, you have options between Low and High, no Medium. The thing is, the Medium wasn't thrown out, High was, Medium was just renamed to High.

And you know what? I couldn't give less of a fuck. They're working pretty fast on the issues, responding to community feedback (f.ex. incoming orange level 50 gear and transferable set bonuses) and I'm enjoying the game immensely as it is. Yes, there are things missing, there are things that aren't up to snuff etc. but none of it really bothers me, the game is fantastic and the main issue I have right now is getting some friends to roll a new character with me (most of them are sticking to their mains) to play the game with another person all the way through.

Jun 11, 2008
I suppose that is good for EA. I won't be buying it as I don't play sub MMOs as I will not know if I'll have the time to make the sub worth it so like many others I'll be waiting for GW2.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
animehermit said:
Therumancer said:
There's plenty of endgame content considering the game hasn't even been out a month yet. There are TWO raids, Karraga's Palace and Eternity Vault, with more content coming later this month. WoW didn't launch with any raiding content at all and has gone more than half a year without content updates before.

and not just the endgame is being expanded upon, the Legacy System, Guild ships and expanded Space combat are all on the list of things coming down the pike for SWTOR.

I disagree about story and voice acting being important. I think that's SWTOR's finest point, the sheer amount of story in this game is astounding. Context is important, and I think that's what makes TOR a cut above the rest of the pile. What you do has effects on how people react to you and how your character grows. No longer is your character simply an avatar through which you play the game, now YOU get to decide who that character is through the decisions he/she makes.
The point isn't that there should be a story or contest, merely that they paid to have every bit of it voice acted as opposed to requiring people to read their way through it, which was a tremendous amount of resources to expend that could have been used to create more content.

It should also be noted that current MMOs are competing with WoW as it is now, NOT as WoW was when it first launched. This is a common mistake and why so many games wind up suffering after a few months and looking toward a free to play model. A new MMO has to understand it's not dealing with a bunch of "nubs" like WoW was but jaded veterans who learned from WoW. It also has to understand that right now the games surviving in the marketplace are those games as they launched PLUS all their expansions. Players generally aren't going to pay subscriptions every month while twiddling their thumbs waiting for more content to be added to the game. At the best you wind up with situations where you have players who cancel and re-up once in a while when something new comes out, which tends to not make enough money to support the game.

This is why EA Louse's message was seen as a good thing in some quarters despite it's negative tone. A 400 million dollar development budget combine with the amount of time the game intended seemed to imply that EA learned from other failed MMOs and had realized that to maintain itself for years the game needed years worth of content and to launch with as much material as say WoW and all of it's expansions combined in order to hold onto that player base.

You seem to be right about the raids (my bad) but I will say this, with people already maxxing their characters in the first couple of weeks, and the buzz about lack of content, what do you think is going to happen? You might want to say "well if people don't like this and leave, that's fine by me, good riddance, I'm content" but the thing is that to sustain itself those people are needed.

Who knows, I could very well be wrong, but look at the pattern with say DC Universe Online at the beginning of last year, another game which launched with a similar strategy. Despite some fairly bold talk, it was free to play by the end of the year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this gleefully as I really do like ToR and hope it's an exception, but I'm a jaded veteran and a realist, and as good as it might be it just seems to have made too many classic mistakes which we've seen before right from the beginning.

To be honest if we're going to see another WoW or blockbuster on that level we're going to need a production company that takes it seriously and gets a budget close to that 400 mil or the equivilent for the year in question, and that might be conservative. The producers and devs are also going to have to realize that while there are new MMO players coming into the hobby the majority of players are those who have been involved for quite a while. Those millions of WoW players they want money from? They aren't noobs anymore BECAUSE they played WoW. Thus another simplistic, introductory level MMO isn't going to mean much. A tutorial is fine, but trying to ease someone who never played an MMO before into the game gradually through 80% of the game content or whatever is counter productive. What's more the company needs to realize that the time when a game is sold is the end, not everything leading up to it even if that is also important. What keeps people re-upping is having something to do every day with their favorite character once they are no longer earning exps and leveling up.

I hope your right, I honestly do, but right now I have to say it doesn't look paticularly good to me, despite the brave face of EA. We'll see what happens. Hopefully in a year or two you'll be saying "I told you so", as opposed to ToR being an example to point fingers at as a failure for a lot of reasons.

Honestly though I hate the FTP/Microtransactions model, and honestly I think a lot of that is coming from the realization that subscriptions fall off once people finish the content but "gating" the content allows real money to form a barrier which can extend the play of addicts and keep a game profitable especially if all those "microtransactions" can amount to more than $15 a month in many cases. Rather than face reality and develop MMOs at the level they need to be at given the expense, FTP is an attempt to keep the current development level financially viable.

That's my thoughts at any rate.