EA: Crysis 2 Will Be a "Halo Killer"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
EA: Crysis 2 Will Be a "Halo Killer"

Apparently, nobody at Electronic Arts got the memo that Halo isn't the console shooter to beat anymore, since it's calling Crysis 2 a "Halo killer."

With the absolutely gorgeous-looking told IndustryGamers [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75103], anyway:

"...we were trying to craft a Halo-killer, you know a product that would squarely go after what Bungie built with our partners at Crytek. So the Crysis 2 product is spectacular, very high-end, and is going to be a multi-year franchise," said Gibeau.

In fact, Gibeau is rather proud of EA's portfolio of FPS developers, not the least of which is the new team surrounding Jason West and Vince Zampella at Respawn. "when you look at Crytek, DICE, Epic, the LA team building MoH, and then Respawn, you know we got a pretty damn killer team," he said.

It's funny that he mentions Respawn, actually, because West and Zampella were of course responsible for the Call of Duty series - the series that actually dethroned Halo from its perch. So either Gibeau is aiming low, or he hasn't yet gotten the intel that Halo is no longer the top dog in town to beat.

Hell, couldn't you argue that with the upcoming Reach [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75976], Bungie itself is "killing" Halo? It's the supposed series grand finale, after all. I wouldn't be surprised if Crysis 2 did in fact outsell Reach, as it will be on the PS3 and PC instead of just the Xbox 360.

More than anything, though, this speaks to the power of the Halo brand - even after it's been kicked from the king of the hill as the best-selling console FPS, it's still the game to beat. Even if it makes you look a bit backward to say so.

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
More like beating the dead horse that killed itself...

But hey, I guess the only way to advertise games anymore is to say they'll kill off another, genre-defining game in the process of premiering. I've yet to see that successfully happen to the point that everyone agreed the said "killed" game was indeed killed.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Wait...this is stupid. Halo-killer? CoD4 did that. We need a "CoD" killer. But Activision already basically did that, to most people. Personally, I like Treyarch better than I ever liked IW, so I'm still getting Black Ops.

And now IW is basically working for EA as Respawn. And Bungie with Activision.

It's a freaking flip of publishers.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Or you could, you know, actually worry about making your own damn game. *sigh* And this is why people (for no logical reason) bash Halo.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
So they're aiming low then, wonder why their after Halo and not CoD?
I guess saying that they want to be the Halo killer is just a more manly way of saying that they want Crysis to be the king of the generic power armoured macho man FPS genre.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Sigh...

Good job. You can kill a game that is ending itself. Thats a great marketing campaign. Why not a Call of Duty killer? I mean, there are going to be more of those in the future. Or does EA not think that Crysis can beat CoD?

Stupid companies... I preferred it back when products and advertisements couldn't use competing products as direct comparisons.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Considering that every shooter released between 2001 and 2007 was branded a "Halo killer", you'll forgive me for not holding my breath.
Gxas said:
Or does EA not think that Crysis can beat CoD?
Considering how absurdly successful CoD4-2 was, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. They obviously wouldn't want to say that, though.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Man I always hated the term "____ killer."

To me it just seems they only created the game just to beat another game. It sounds unprofessional and slightly douchey.

But thats just what I think of the term.

The Root Beer Guy

Apr 1, 2010
The arrogance of some of the people involved with Crysis 2 is a little disturbing. Why can't they just worry about making their own, unique game?

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Crysis 2 is also set to be a Crysis killer by beating it's glorious predecessors to death with all the compromises it's made to work on consoles (no offense console people)

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
wooty said:
So they're aiming low then, wonder why their after Halo and not CoD?
I guess saying that they want to be the Halo killer is just a more manly way of saying that they want Crysis to be the king of the generic power armoured macho man FPS genre.
CoD's a realistic shooter, Halo is a sci-fi shooter. Crysis is a Sci-Fi shooter and therefore will attempt to dominate it's market, Sci Fi shooters.

When we're after a CoD killer we want a game which CoD fans will enjoy surely, not a game that is more suited towards people who enjoy sci-fi shooters.

GreatVladmir

May 25, 2008
Hasn't history shown us that games that claim to be Halo-killers usually flop? I mean, Killzone claimed to be a Halo killer and it did bugger all, but like its been stated, Halo was de-throned and there is no-way Crysis will outsell MW2, no chance in hell. That game had people queing at midnight all over the world, heck even in my small town were no-one ques at midnight for a game, people were queing for MW2, I was shocked when I heard that from a mate. They are still aiming too high, Crysis has no name value, not many people know of it (unless I'm mistaken) but with Halo or MW just go up to someone and ask them & they will know atleast alil bit about it.

Ah well, let them live in there marketing fantasy world, it will come chrasing down when Crysis 2 barely sells any copy's and gets forgotten after afew months.

1trakm1nd

Jun 21, 2008
The only "killing" Crysis will do is hardware.

The first crysis game beat your computer with a rusty pipe, now they made a second one to finish the job.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Armored Prayer said:
Man I always hated the term "____ killer."

To me it just seems they only created the game just to beat another game. It sounds unprofessional and slightly douchey.

But thats just what I think of the term.
Agreed. Then again, this kind of unprofessional-ism is increasingly common in the industry now.

Gxas said:
Stupid companies... I preferred it back when products and advertisements couldn't use competing products as direct comparisons.
The same should go for political parties as well.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Ok, I misread "Crysis 2" as "Cryostasis 2" and was thinking (a): The first one was made by an unknown Russian company that nobody has heard of, had hardly any publicity and has absolutely know way of rivalling Halo and (b): OMG THERE'S A CRYOSTASIS 2!?

Now I'm thinking: Didn't Crysis 2 come out ages ago? I really need to read up on these things.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
The Root Beer Guy said:
The arrogance of some of the people involved with Crysis 2 is a little disturbing. Why can't they just worry about making their own, unique game?
Yeah, the more shit they talk the more I'm pretty convinced they're going to pull a Daikatana.