EA: Dead Space Too Scary to Handle Alone

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
What scares me is how they are going to market this game...

I am envisioning a jock playing the game with a teddy bear he cuddles up to when the 'bad things' are about.

Since I found Dead Space as scary as a fluffy kitten, and I couldn't be bothered with the second one because the moronic viral marketing team (in which I mean they should be afflicted with Ebola) decided the 'Your mother will hate it' ad campaign was a good idea.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Did they by any chance conduct market research on the COD Dudebro fanboy Organisation's AGM. Who are the players who gave EA feedback and can I hit them?

bobmd13

Mar 28, 2010
As a left handed game player I do not know if EA's Dead Space is scary.

They managed to neglect 20% of their potential market by not bothering to put the ability to reset keys into the game.

I have been informed that Dead Space 2 has the same problem so I wont be buying it.

As a side note, EA tried to avoid the use of customized keys in BF3 but they had a problem, a lot of the closed beta players were left handed :).

Rahuzero

Jul 22, 2011
You have got to be kidding me. I dont remember anybody asking for dead space to be watered down like this.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Simply put, the horror genre is too niche and doesn't reach enough people.
Apparently they have to sell 5 (ridiculous) million copies and in order to achieve that, they change it into a generic action shooter with co-op in it, hoping to break it out of its horror market and reaching a bigger audience.
As for Miele's comment about the horror still being the same, I doubt it's true. It sounds to me like it's just PR talk. From what I've seen, there are still monster aliens but that alone doesn't make it horror but I guess that's what he was referring to.
Of course it's too early too fully judge it yet but the gameplay footage didn't look promising at all.

Since Mirror's Edge I had been hoping for Mirror's Edge 2 but now I'd prefer not having to read that "research showed, people didn't like the parkour element of the game, so we're taking it out and making an FPS out of the game."

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
Jesus Christ do they think we are all pants on head retarded? God dammit, I almost have no words for the emotions the things they are saying give me...

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Oh gawsh I'm laughing so hard right now please make it stop

Everybody I know who has ever played the game has 'handled it alone'. Besides, when the genre of your game is survival horror, I thought the more scary it is, the better.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Every time a game company/publisher starts taking statistics and doing research to "improve" the next installment of the game, you know it's going to be utter crap. They'll cut out the things the fan base love and put things in they think the fan base want instead. That's how Fable 3 and ME3 got screwed up.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
No one wanted the series to become co-op or have the horror toned down. I do not think any ever though "Well this is fun, but a bit too scary for me. If only I could play this with my friends! That would help so much!" Seriously, how many people felt it needed a cover system, universal ammo, and co-op to the main story?

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Cognimancer said:
"We were hearing feedback that they love the thriller game," Miele continued, "but it was pretty scary, and the obvious next step was that they wanted to play with someone. So we introduced co-op into the game." Miele said that despite the company of a co-op buddy, the game is "still true to its roots and no less scary."
Bullshit.

With the inclusion of co-op and the focus on shooter mechanics there is virtually no way that it cannot be less scary than the first two. Try to feel fear when your buddy says over the mic, "Does that thing's jaw look like a dick to you?" As he Rambo's everything in the room.

Cognimancer said:
It's hard to maintain elements of horror and desperation with a friend sitting on the couch next to you, but Miele doesn't see it as a problem. "People felt far more comfortable playing it with someone else than they did doing it on their own," she said. "Personally, I would rather go to a scary movie with my husband rather than sit at home with the lights out watching one on my own."
target='_self'>Permalink[/B]
Woman, you obviously don't understand what games are. Horror FILMS elicit far different levels of fear than something you are actually controlling yourself. The entire point of these games is to make sure people ARE NOT COMFORTABLE, this is why we had insane crew members in the first game, this is why we had exploding babies in the second game. You're MEANT to be uncomfortable, because HORROR=HORROR.

Cognimancer said:
I'm not sure why "player comfort" is such a high priority for a genre that exists to elicit fear, but I'm not the one with the product research. EA is walking a fine line between broad accessibility and core elements of survival-horror. As for how successful this plan will be, we won't know until we step into the boots of Isaac Clarke (and/or John Carver) for ourselves in February 2013.
There's no way that this game will sell 5mil units. Guarantee a number of people won't even buy it after hearing that crap. Just another franchise that EA will have ruined, to which they will blame the game itself.

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
I don't really know when the trend of games laden with jumpscares started edging their way into the horror genre but I can say for certain it is, to put it mildly, a trend for which I have yet to develop a fondness.

This announcement is really just a poor attempt to justify the move into the Co-op shooter.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I feel like I missed something... Dead Space was scary? I thought the fact that every monster telegraphed it's presence and was easily dispatched by any one of Isaac's heaps of improbable mining devices (seriously, are they even pretending he's an engineer rather than a special forces soldier anymore?).

I'm so confused as to how even a company as notoriously clueless as EA has deluded themselves into thinking that they could possibly sell 5 million copies of this game. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that is?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Teh Jammah said:
I remember approximately 2 scary moments from the Dead Space series.

The first was the first big jump scare in the first game.

was the bit in 2 where you go back on the Ishimura and you go through half the level with nothing happening and just wondering when they're going to drop the hammer on you and still nothing's happening and the the lights have dimmed down and you just know something bad is-ohshitwhatwasthatinthedistanceFUCKITSAPAIROFBRUTES!

And that's... really it.
While more "painful to watch" than scary, I always liked the part in DS 2 where you gotta poke your own eye. :3

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
I thought there was a formula for Dead Space: Fix the problems with the previous game and continue to pretend it's scary. Trust me, EA, we're big boys and girls. We can handle whatever you can throw at us. We will just kill it with a weapon that shoots saw blades.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Falterfire said:
I don't think it's possible for any game that hands you multiple laser based weapons to be scary.
It's possible, just difficult - just ask anyone who accidentally stumbled upon the Dunwich Building in Fallout 3. The thing is that EA simply don't care about niche things like "horror", since niche is risky and EA hates risky. EA also hates putting in genuine effort, since that takes time and money - one again things that EA hates terribly. Keep in mind that I haven't actually seen anything from DS3, but after hearing some things about it and knowing EA's track record, I'm guessing that "Better to release another safe and relatively easy-to-make shooter instead" is what's going on in their heads here.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
cynicalsaint1 said:
This is why we can't have nice things.
The game already makes a profit amongst a selected group of gamers that like the horror genre but they want to make even bigger MORE profit for the greedy investors that are never satisfied, so they remove the soul purpose of the game even existing and twist it into action survival shooter?

Then somehow imply that the dedicated gamers that want horror are too much of a pussy to PLAY said games!? how conceited can you get EA!?

Adding Co-op is just another ploy to get the person who purchased the game to increase the chance of them convincing their friend to BUY another copy to play with, that's low man real low...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Okay, let's... let's just turn off the lie fountain right now.

Dead Space wasn't a horror game. It was a horror-themed action shooter with an interesting combat mechanic. Granted, it had some tense moments and one or two spots where things actually did get scary. But too scary to handle alone? That's really stretching it.