EA Earnings Show Mobile Gaming Pays Off Big Time

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
EA Earnings Show Mobile Gaming Pays Off Big Time

Mobile's doing well, but you shouldn't expect a new Star Wars title any time soon.

"As we enter a new fiscal year, EA is well-positioned for dynamic growth on next generation consoles, PCs, and mobile platforms," claims EA's Larry Probst in a press release accompanying EA's financials for 2013, and Probst has reason to be bullish about mobile in particular. In 2013, EA was mobile's #1 publisher, globally. Mobile and digital handheld revenues have increased 21%, year on year, for a grand total of $104 million net revenue. Origin, the service we all love [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118516-EA-Defends-Origin-From-Hardcore-Crowd], claims 47 million users, including 20 million mobile users. Digital net revenue overall? Well, that bumped up 36%, for a record $1.7 billion.

Doughnuts and cars were standout products for EA in 2013. The Simpsons: Tapped Out, a free-to-play title in which you rebuild a ravaged Springfield one building at a time, or quicker if you purchase premium currency doughnuts, has generated nearly $50 million in profit since its August 2012 launch.Real Racing 3, another free-to-play where you take your Bugatti or Lamborghini out for a spin, has generated 30 million downloads so far, and has kept the title of #1 racing game on the iOS store since its March launch.

That said, it's not all sunshine in EA land. Probst is in the seat because Star Wars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122761-EA-CEO-John-Riccitiello-Resigns-UPDATED] fans; though work's ongoing, you won't see a new game this financial year. So whatever that nebulous Star Wars launch date may be, it'll be coming sometime after March 2014.

Source: EA earnings call [http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/2374722202x0xS712515-13-14/712515/712515-13-14.pdf]

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
The new Star Wars game is going to be for mobile platforms isn't it?

And that Simpsons game was about rebuilding Springfield? I thought you just feed Homer donuts by tapping him on the screen.
"Tap here to get the Deluxe Doughnut Discount Bundle for only $2.99!"

or

"Tap here to activate lightsaber for only $0.99!"

etc. etc.

OT: I like to think of myself as a reasonable person. I can usually see both sides of an argument.
But when Frank Gibeau says the lesson that EA is learning from the SimCity launch is the fault lays with the customers wanting to play their game? That just leaves me incredulous.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
EA vows to never have a launch disaster like SimCity again, but states that the server problems were mostly caused by too many customers. So, they're going to make sure less people want to play their games in the future to avoid this? I guess they're on the right track ...

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Karloff said:
"Consumers overwhelming the game servers" were, in Gibeau's estimate, the primary reason for the disaster.
You just keep telling yourself that EA. Keep ignoring your customers complaints in favor of your own little delusions. It'll just make it that much more satisfying when reality finally catches up with you.

I, personally, can't wait for that day.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
EA are doing well in the mobile market while at the same time laying off swathes of staff in their mobile departments? Something seems weird here. Are they selling their staff to aliens?

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
DVS BSTrD said:
The new Star Wars game is going to be for mobile platforms isn't it?

And that Simpsons game was about rebuilding Springfield? I thought you just feed Homer donuts by tapping him on the screen.
Fortunately not; EA's "exclusive" rights to Star Wars games only stretches to PC & Console titles, it excludes Mobile devices. Probably because Disney's gaming arm isn't making any money in the PC & Console sector atm.

Jaden Kazega

Nov 12, 2011
Well there we have it folks!! EA's servers would have been JUST FINE if ya'll hadn't overloaded them!! You should've played the single player mo-

Oh wait.