EA Explains Why Dragon Age: Inquisition Isn't Dragon Age III

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
EA Explains Why Dragon Age: Inquisition Isn't Dragon Age III

EA says Dragon Age: Inquisition is less a direct sequel than a new story in the world of Thedas.

When Dragon Age: Inquisition was first unveiled, it was announced as <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119622-BioWare-Confirms-Dragon-Age-III-Inquisition>Dragon Age III: Inquisition. There probably weren't more than a handful of gamers who gave this a second thought since, after all, it was the third game in the series and a sequel to Dragon Age II. That said, in a recent <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124789-Dragon-Age-3-Inquisition-Coming-Fall-2014>teaser trailer released during E3 the "III" portion of the title was notably absent. According to Electronic Arts this was the result of a deliberate decision top drop the number from the game's title.

"I think there's always this debate over numbers versus no numbers, what works, what doesn't work," said EA Labels president, Frank Gibeau. "We felt like we wanted to bring more attention to the word Inquisition, because that's more the story arc of what it's like. There's a whole bunch of gameplay and features and big story choices related to how you go through this Inquisition that happens in the world." According to Gibeau the move was also made to help drive home that Inquisition will be less of a direct sequel and more of a new story taking place in the Dragon Age universe. "We just wanted to draw more attention to the fact that Inquisition is an all-new chapter inside of the Dragon Age universe, as opposed to people expecting a follow-on to Dragon Age 1 and 2 in a literal, linear sense."

The move is arguably a smart one on the part of EA. While some <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8701-Dragon-Age-II-Review>loved Dragon Age II, there were many fans who <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112020-Dragon-Age-Writer-Prefers-Polarization-to-Apathy>outright loathed the second game. Dropping "III" from Inquisition could, in turn, help to separate the new game from Dragon Age II while returning to the no numbers style of Dragon Age: Origins and its expansion Dragon Age: Awakening.

Source: IGN

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Seriously, what on Earth are you thinking EA? Dragon Age II had nothing but a few tangential link to Origins yet you still called it Dragon Age II. Now this game is (supposedly) dealing with a conflict that was established in the last game and is going to feature prominent characters present in both games. Unless this trailer is a lie, how is this not a sequel!?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
But didn't the trailer have Varric in it? And Morrigan? And referred to Morrigan's, err... offspring?

Eh, I dunno, maybe they're just trying to distance it from DA2.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Is it me or does Morrigan look a lot like Flemeth in that picture? Like a lot more than she did in DA:O and Witchunt. Maybe the special robe worked in the end.

OT, it's within the same storyline, set years after the first and second games, dealing with the fallout of Meredith's and Orsino's actions at the end of DAII. It's a sequel, no matter hwo you try to spin it, EAWare. Focus on making it good instead of flapping your gums like you did with ME3, if you want to win back your audience.

Malisteen

Mar 1, 2010
I don't care what EA calls it, so long as they actually give the development team the time they need to make a finished game, instead of forcing them to cut so many corners that there's hardly any game left at all in order to rush it out. There's been more time between 2 and 3 than there was between 1 and 2. Hopefully EA has learned the lesson that not every genre of game can be churned out on the same release schedule as yearly sports games & Multiplayer FPS updates.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
TWEWYFan said:
Seriously, what on Earth are you thinking EA? Dragon Age II had nothing but a few tangential link to Origins yet you still called it Dragon Age II.
True, but a lot of people took issue with that. The amount of complaints on the Bioware forums because of it was pretty extensive, so perhaps they have learnt.

Now this game is (supposedly) dealing with a conflict that was established in the last game and is going to feature prominent characters present in both games. Unless this trailer is a lie, how is this not a sequel!?
Although this is also true, as the game does seem to have a much closer tie-in to the others. But then again, I don't see it as an issue, a name is just a name to me.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
I wonder how many meetings and discussions and focus groups and market research it took to make this decision :/

Im still a fan of bioware but after the debacle that was dragon age 2 i'll still be waiting for fan feedback before i buy no matter what you call it

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
So, we're going the Assassin's Creed route now?

I won't lie, I haven't really gotten into the DA series like I did with ME. Granted, DA1 was a wicked game, but I dunno why I didn't buy DA2 on day 1. Then again, after the reviews came in, I kinda held off on the game and haven't looked back since.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I think a better way to distance themselves from Dragon Age 2 would be not to repeat its mistakes. I did like the game, but I don't think anyone could be accused of calling it a flawless masterpiece.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
"We decide what dead means in Dragon Age"

I think this is the reason for this move. The creators want to establish a canonical series of events from the first two games. This move is essentially a lazy hand wave to excuse when that cannon goes against what players did in the previous games.

If I'm right, I have mixed feelings on it.

On the one hand, I can see why they'd want to do that.

On the other, this move feels pretty cheap. It's like they're playing Monopoly and started printing their own Get Out of Jail Free cards.

Kiya

Mar 22, 2012
I like this move - this was a major complaint with DA II - that it bore little resemblance to the first game and should have been marketed as a seperate action game set in the same world rather than a sequel.

What is happening at EA at the moment? With the abandonment of online passes and this they actually seem to be listening to their customers for a change... next thing you know they will be announcing that their new PC games will be available to buy on Steam day of release as well as Origin....

Nah.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Zhukov said:
But didn't the trailer have Varric in it? And Morrigan? And referred to Morrigan's, err... offspring?

Eh, I dunno, maybe they're just trying to distance it from DA2.
I think so, because I'm not sure what it means when they say it's going to be a separate story.

I'll also admit, I'm also amused this is a big thing. It's like conservation about "MY GOD, the armour in Gears Of War has turned black with hints of red and green, rather than grey with blue hints to it". At this point, it's no longer reading between the lines. It's now reading each individual blotch on the paper in a desperate bid attempt to read the word.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I just want to know if I can do what I did in Dragon Age: Origins and made a psychotic, sex-obsessed, hyper-violent Dwarf girl.

Seriously, that's how I played the game. I was a noble Dwarf princess who followed two rules the entire game: if it CAN die, I will kill it, and if I CAN sleep with it, I will. Or if I can't, try anyway.

godofslack

May 8, 2011
Well a fact that many people are missing is that Dragon Age 2 was never meant to be named that, in fact it was meant to be called Dragon Age: Exodus. So, I'm surprised that the III was actually dropped from the title, and it MIGHT mean that the developers have both the time and creative control to make a solid game, color me cautiously optimistic.

Kiya

Mar 22, 2012
Trishbot said:
I just want to know if I can do what I did in Dragon Age: Origins and made a psychotic, sex-obsessed, hyper-violent Dwarf girl.

Seriously, that's how I played the game. I was a noble Dwarf princess who followed two rules the entire game: if it CAN die, I will kill it, and if I CAN sleep with it, I will. Or if I can't, try anyway.
I think it's already been said that they are not doing the origin stories that we had for Dragon Age: Origins - but I hope that doesn't mean that we will have no choice at all for character creation. I really don't want the 'choice' of being human, human, or human again dammit.

godofslack

May 8, 2011
Trishbot said:

You can't be a Dwarf, but you might be able to keep the rules and hell you might even be able to be royalty (no promises on this one).

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Dragon Age 2 would still had been a rushed game even if you dropped the ][. All the copy-pasted locations, lack of enemy variety and the sequel baiting, railroading, short third act wouldn't magically disappear along with the number.

Yes, a lot of criticism came from huge expectations, but please, who are you trying to fool?

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Legion said:
Although this is also true, as the game does seem to have a much closer tie-in to the others. But then again, I don't see it as an issue, a name is just a name to me.
You're right; still changing a game's title after announcing is usual on its own. Now when you have EA and its less than stellar track record doing this it starts making me very concerned as to what's happening behind the scenes.