EA Games Boss Swears to God He Didn't Kill Mirror's Edge

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Games Boss Swears to God He Didn't Kill Mirror's Edge

EA Games President Frank Gibeau swears to God he didn't kill the sequel to Mirror's Edge [http://www.amazon.com/Mirrors-Edge-Pc/dp/B00198ZHC8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299114941&sr=8-3], he's just trying to figure out how to release a sequel that will actually be a big hit.

Mirror's Edge fans got a bit wound up earlier this month when the word went around that EA had manufactured [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107732-EA-Reportedly-Cancelled-Mirrors-Edge-Sequel] out of "rumor milling, loose quotes and assumptions," and now Gibeau has framed the situation in even less uncertain terms, flat-out denying that the series is dead.

"We're just trying to figure out how to bring Mirror's Edge back and in what way. That's part of the creative development process," Gibeau told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/291633/news/ea-mirrors-edge-2-must-grow-franchise-audience/]. "I know there are some stories about how EA killed Mirror's Edge. Well, I'm the guy; I greenlight the games. I did not kill it - as God is my witness."

"What we said internally is. 'What do we need to do to make [the sequel] a hit?' We need to go from version one to version two so that it sells two to three times as many, it finds a much bigger audience," he continued. "The first game from a quality standpoint was good, but now it needs to be great."

Mirror's Edge was definitely a good game but not without flaws, although to its credit, many of those flaws were the result of legitimate risk-taking by DICE. The game broke two million unit sales, a mediocre figure at best, so the priority for a follow-up is to broaden the appeal. "We're actively working on ideas in the Mirror's Edge universe," Gibeau said. "We just haven't locked yet on a way to bring it back and a way that fans will be excited, but at the same time we can get it to a bigger audience."

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
Hey there nothing wrong with that. A few problems aside I enjoyed Mirrors Edge pretty well. It gave me something new and fresh and as long as it keeps that up so I don't have to duck behind cover every few moments when in a first person mode type game I'll be all good.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
as i said earlier, this is only a way for them to manipulate the medias and getting some more PR... makes me think of some sensationalist mags with a twist: gaming devs+companies.

ps: it's good to know some people saw it too.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
more diverse levels would have helped with more than one path to the end, all the levels were wholly linear. and yea a story would help greatly along with more game length, some solid mechanics just do more with them.

Apr 28, 2008
1) Get rid of the gunplay. It was weak and did not suit the game.
2) Polish the platforming.
3) No really linear corridors.
4) More open levels
5) Do not shoe-horn in multiplayer if it doesn't fit the game.
6) Touch up the fist-fighting if you must have combat.

And yeah, thats what I would do.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"We're just trying to figure out how to bring Mirror's Edge back and in what way. That's part of the creative development process," Gibeau told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/291633/news/ea-mirrors-edge-2-must-grow-franchise-audience/]. "I know there are some stories about how EA killed Mirror's Edge. Well, I'm the guy; I greenlight the games. I did not kill it - as God is my witness."

"What we said internally is. 'What do we need to do to make [a sequel] a hit?' We need to go from version one to version two so that it sells two to three times as many, it finds a much bigger audience," he continued. "The first game from a quality standpoint was good, but now it needs to be great."

Mirror's Edge was definitely a good game but not without flaws, although to its credit, many of those flaws were the result of legitimate risk-taking by DICE. The game broke two million unit sales, a mediocre figure at best, so the priority for a follow-up is to broaden the appeal. "We're actively working on ideas in the Mirror's Edge universe," Gibeau said. "We just haven't locked yet on a way to bring it back and a way that fans will be excited, but at the same time we can get it to a bigger audience."

Bwuh?

Also,
HankMan said:
Hey Gibeau I have some advice for your sequel...
1) Switch to third-person
2) Make it less bright
3) Give it a real storyline
4) ???
5) Profit!
Please don't do this (except maybe the story bit). We already have Prince of Persia, and I love the first-person perspective and excessively bright atmosphere.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Andy Chalk said:

"What we said internally is. 'What do we need to do to make [a sequel] a hit?' We need to go from version one to version two so that it sells two to three times as many, it finds a much bigger audience," he continued. "The first game from a quality standpoint was good, but now it needs to be great."

Bwuh?

Also,
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
4) ???
5) Profit!
Please don't do this (except maybe the story bit). We already have Prince of Persia, and I love the first-person perspective and excessively bright atmosphere.
Unlike you, I completely loved the first person view. The artistic style of the game was very awesome too. Mirror's Edge was praised for its visuals. The controls were the most annoying part of the game for most reviewers.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zer_ said:
<quote=lacktheknack>
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
4) ???
5) Profit!
Unlike you, I completely loved the first person view. The artistic style of the game was very awesome too. Mirror's Edge was praised for its visuals. The controls were the most annoying part of the game for most reviewers.[/quote]

Quoted the wrong guy. Whoooa, quote failure on my part! (fix'd)

I had no difficulties with the controls whatsoever, maybe that's because I was on the PC.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Either ditch the gunplay, or make it more dominant. There's no point in having half-assed gunplay -- that's just a waste of a extra 1 million unit sales right there.

Kids today like their guns and gunplay. Make It like Prince of Persia... only with guns... and good combat.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Zer_ said:
<quote=lacktheknack>
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
4) ???
5) Profit!
Unlike you, I completely loved the first person view. The artistic style of the game was very awesome too. Mirror's Edge was praised for its visuals. The controls were the most annoying part of the game for most reviewers.
Quoted the wrong guy. Whoooa, quote pileup!

I had no difficulties with the controls whatsoever, maybe that's because I was on the PC.[/quote]

I did, my bad. Oh well.

Anyways, yeah I have the PC version too. I found the controls to be quite good. I felt the combat needed work. Honestly Mirror's Edge needs a few things to be awesome.

-CTF Multiplayer.

-Point based freestyle trick arenas for Multiplayer as well.

-Allowing two runners to co-operate where the package is considered "hot". Passing it on to your friend lowers your heat level diverting the police forces and increasing your chances of success.

A lot more ideas where that came from.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
NONONONONOOO - these two things MADE Mirror's Edge. The gameplay worked just fine from a first-person perspective. I could use some polish, but there were no problems that could be solved by changing the perspective. And the bright, pristine aesthetic? Eye-orgasm inducing. If DICE decides to change this, I won't be buying it

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zer_ said:
lacktheknack said:
Zer_ said:
<quote=lacktheknack>
HankMan said:
2) Make it less bright
4) ???
5) Profit!
Quoted the wrong guy. Whoooa, quote pileup!

I had no difficulties with the controls whatsoever, maybe that's because I was on the PC.
I did, my bad. Oh well.

Anyways, yeah I have the PC version too. I found the controls to be quite good. I felt the combat needed work. Honestly Mirror's Edge needs a few things to be awesome.

-CTF Multiplayer.

-Point based freestyle trick arenas for Multiplayer as well.

-Allowing two runners to co-operate where the package is considered "hot". Passing it on to your friend lowers your heat level diverting the police forces and increasing your chances of success.

A lot more ideas where that came from.[/quote]

I like the idea of co-op, but I'm a single-player guy myself. Mirror's Edge is my favorite game ever. Yes, really.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dawkter said:
Andy Chalk said:
"We're just trying to figure out how to bring Mirror's Edge back
HankMan said:
1) Switch to third-person OR fix the mechanics with first person platforming
2) Make it less bright
4) ???
5) Profit!
Thar you go EA
Absolutely not. If they do that, I won't buy it. I'll just go play Prince of Persia again.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I agree that this game could use some shoring up. I think it would be awesome as is with a more open world environment. Whatever you do, DON'T make third person. The only thing that made it unique was the first person aspect. The controls could be a bit simplified I think. That whole 180° turn button really messed up the flow on more than one occasion. The story was descent, it kept me engaged, though with the excellent and challenging gameplay, it definitely took second fiddle. I think the game would have benefited from more realistic and less sterile looking environments.

Other than that, don't change a thing. The sections where there was gun play were good. The developers did a fantastic job at making the guns feel out of place, which fit the character accordingly. I wouldn't mind seeing branching story lines (NO GOOD/EVIL system please). Perhaps multiple characters with different play styles. There is a lot you can do make a good game, great. But you can't change the core of the game.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
I hope by "reah a bigger audience" they don't mean shove in a bunch of gunplay and make it some lame action game. Keep it pure platformer.

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
My only real complaint with Mirror's Edge is that the load times between deaths were too slow, considering how fast pace the game is and how often you risk death. Prince of Persia time tricks probably aren't necessary, just make quick and flow with game play. The last thing I want to do when free running is be careful!

Linear game play is kind of a given in a game that basically a racing game, but I think more multiple paths would be interesting: think multiple floors Sonic levels have, but with buildings. Another option is to have stages where there several objectives to run to, and players can pick the best route to reach all of them. You could even have more colors than just "Red" flash to mark the direction players need to go to each each separate objective, so you would still direct player regardless of which path they took.

Improve the story. I don't hate the concept created, but script and acting felt a little weak.

It needs to be first person, or its not the same game. Not sure what the issues with the brightness are, game has indoor and night levels, but if you make this game dark enough you might as well make is a Robin/Batman game. Wouldn't hate a Kungfu or Horror feeling setting, but those wouldn't be real sequels.

Another multi-player mode where you basically play "tag" could be fun. Any added chasing and fleeing to game play always welcomed, and with right AI in the right area could feel more like a boss fight than another linear stage.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
I loved the game (barring the story/conspiracy part) until they reached the point where they just started putting bad guys in rooms and saying "No, you have to fight now. No more parkour for you." That's what began to earn my ire.

Also, Fuck the time trials.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I'm happy that EA/Dice is taking their time to create something that's polished and outshines its predecessor. Especially something like Mirror's Edge.

On a side note about how to make the game better, even though it may be slightly cliche, I would love to see Mirror's Edge 2 take on an open world. Not only would it open up many unique time trial/side mission opportunities, I would also spend hours in the open world mode to just see how many ways I could get to one of the various places in the game.