EA Games Boss: We Won't Quit Until Battlefield Is Number One

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Andy Chalk said:
Soderlund ... added that there's no plan or pressure to turn Battlefield into an annual franchise like Call of Duty.
Did he ACTUALLY say that, or is this just putting words in his mouth? In an entire paragraph of quotes, you specifically generalized that statement. I mean, their actions do imply that they like breathing room, but the jury is still out.
The original article also doesn't directly quote this, but it continues it with a quote.
Unlike Call of Duty, Battlefield is not an annual franchise. And EA retired its other FPS franchise, Medal of Honor, last year. But Soderlund says there?s no pressure to release a new Battlefield every year.

"We have other games now. We have Titanfall, which we didn?t have when we had Medal of Honor. To me it is about a balanced portfolio."
Anyway, it's usually best to ignore the Escapist article and just head for the source if you're interested in a story.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
You know what, I really don't fucking get this, you could sit and explain this until the end of time but I still don't fucking get it, there is nothing to gain from competing with CoD. At all. Nothing. Just fuck off EA.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
llafnwod said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Andy Chalk said:
Soderlund ... added that there's no plan or pressure to turn Battlefield into an annual franchise like Call of Duty.
Did he ACTUALLY say that, or is this just putting words in his mouth? In an entire paragraph of quotes, you specifically generalized that statement. I mean, their actions do imply that they like breathing room, but the jury is still out.
The original article also doesn't directly quote this, but it continues it with a quote.
Unlike Call of Duty, Battlefield is not an annual franchise. And EA retired its other FPS franchise, Medal of Honor, last year. But Soderlund says there?s no pressure to release a new Battlefield every year.

"We have other games now. We have Titanfall, which we didn?t have when we had Medal of Honor. To me it is about a balanced portfolio."
Anyway, it's usually best to ignore the Escapist article and just head for the source if you're interested in a story.
Haha, BURN.

Yeah, I'm at work so I forgot to check source. You know how wikipedia style link clinking can destroy an entire productive day :(

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
EstrogenicMuscle said:
This has been so infectious that some people actually thought a Mega Man first person shooter might be a good idea. It is ruining franchises I actually care about.
Hey I don't know, Maverick Hunter was being made by a dev made up of people who worked on Metroid Prime. A lot of people thought that was a stupid idea too, but it turned out alright and it's generally considered one of the best of its generation. So maybe, just maybe, lightning could've struck twice.

Still, I would rather take a Mega Man-flavored Metroid Prime clone over no Mega Man at all, which is all we'll be getting from Capcom for now.

That's assuming they're still going to be around for long. Apparently they're in pretty bad financial shape [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-09-10-capcom-looks-towards-big-changes-after-difficult-fy13].

OT: so EA is bent on chasing that COD-dollar, eh? Well, good luck.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I kinda admire his drive, albeit in a sad sort of way, to become the number one spunkgargleweewee game. But, to guys like me and Yahtzee, you and COD will always be #2.

[HEADING=3]Poop reference![/HEADING]​

Waraddict

Jul 20, 2011
Ok, if he want's to do that, here's the challenge.

I don't even consider buying a BF game these days, it's a multiplayer game, it depends on the community, EA is churning these games out way too fast for me to consider investing in a BF game. When the next BF game comes out that's the community gone.

Fix that and we'll talk. Until then only the real die-hards will buy your game on a whim as soon as it comes out.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
So he's basically challenging Activision to a spunkgargleweewee developing contest.

Just homogenize both your games to the point where the only thing that sets them apart is the title on the box. You know how you WOULD get more people playing? Battlefield 2245. Robot mech battles with foot soldiers on the ground. Jetpacks and laserguns.

You know actually putting fun shit in your game?

Nobody playing Call of Duty wants to play Battlefield and nobody playing Battlefield wants to play Call of Duty. Why? Because they already have a spunkgargleweewee game. They don't have time, interest or care for a second spunkgargleweewee game on their shelf.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I always thought that the new Medal of Honor games are EA's answer to CoD. The Battlefield games are very different. Battlefield 3 resembled CoD only in the single player campaign.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Well, you know, he wants his company's franchise to succeed. Can't get mad at him for that.

However, I get the feeling that if he had to toss up between "making the best game on the market" and "making the most money", he'd pick the latter. Which might be cynical of me, but there you go.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
and the world collectively facepalms.

Well they won't be seeing a cent out of me as I don't play spunkgargleweewee games, I prefer FUN first person shooters like UT and Doom.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Good luck with that EA, the only way CoD will go to Number 2 or lower is when it finally burns itself out. Now go! Make your bland, grey/brown, 'realistic' wank and pointless shooter!

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
When you consider Call of Duty the pinnacle of what's good in the gaming market. You need to realise everyone with any taste wants you to be in a different market.

Omega500

Dec 2, 2009
Mod tools, Scrap origin as a requirement, Dinosaurs (zombies are done to death)Cross platform Multiplayer.

I fopr one dont care for COD its got very stale and very quick Ive not cared for them since COD:WAW

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
"We have other games now. We have Titanfall....

This comment actually made me gleam. I have no intention of picking up an XBONE, yet M$ is alluding to the fact that Titanfall will be an XBONE exclusive. Now, they haven't come out and said "titanfall will only be available on the XBONE." Instead they've said "titanfall will be on the xbone." I suspect titanfall is a timed exclusive, and not a console exclusive. Since when does EA, the publishers of annual titles like Madden, as well as other multi platform games the likes of Mirror's Edge, Battlefield, Dead Space etc decide "you know what? I think we'd be best suited to release the hyped, debut game from our Respawn studio on not only a single console, but the console with the smallest market share."

No way! And this comment that EA "has Titanfall," made in the vein that it would be a game that allows them to compete with COD, only enforces for me that Titanfall will be released on the PS4, only after the XBONE. Because there's no way in hell they can hope to computer with COD by releasing a Triple - A title on a single console.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I wonder how Battlefront is going to do in comparison to Battlefield. Made by the same people, right? I'm not interested in CoD or Battlefield. Probably won't even look at Battlefront when it comes out. Only new shooter I'm looking forward to is Destiny