EA Games Chief: "We Are on the Offense," Working on Mirror's Edge 2

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Good first step EA, now a good second step would be to fire the entirity of your marketing team and find a less obnoxious one...

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
That is not the picture of the man on the offense, or a man capable of being on the offense.

EA has been getting better, but maybe that's just because Activision has been getting worse and EA has just remained the same? Hard to say.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Somehow I get the image that Gibeau has taken quite a lot of influence from Civilization V. I'm guessing he likes to go for a cultural victory:

"We Are on the Offense"... exploring... reputation [policies... the way it holds up the culture...

"One of the things I learned at EA when we were great and at the top of our game was each of the studios that were creating games had their own unique culture,"

"So we purposefully blew the place up (razing?) and the concept that we created was 'city states', which mean you had creative independence and autonomy to build a product." (that's more of a puppet though)

invest in their cultures and come into work

if you like coming into work you like building what you're building (and he doesn't forget the workers, building expensive roads)

AlohaJo

Nov 3, 2010
They'd better be working on Mirror's Edge 2. Despite its flaws, Mirror's Edge is still one of my favouite games, and I'd love to play a sequel.

eharriett

Jan 22, 2011
Mirror's Edge is one of the greatest games I've ever played. I originally played it on my PS3 and I just replaced it on my PC (yes, liked it so much I bought it twice). Hoping they do more. The entire universe of that game fascinates me. It deserves to be revisited.

smeghead25

Apr 28, 2009
"We're actively working on ideas in the Mirror's Edge universe; we just haven't locked on a way to bring it back so that fans will be excited and at the same time we get to a bigger audience."

AKA, DICE wants to give us a longer game with longer running sequences are none of that pesky shooty stuff, and EA wants them to turn it into an FPS to reach a 'bigger audience'.

2up

Jun 15, 2009
Does this guy have any actual game production experience whatsoever? One would think a person in his position would have experience in both the creative and business side of things. What EA really needs are less (overpaid) suits making decisions on games. His total compensation according to Forbes in 2010 was $3,636,119. That seems ridiculous to me.

Jan 27, 2011
Ok, if anyone at EA reads this...

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO USE THESE IDEAS AS IF THEY WERE YOURS!

EA, here's some things that would make mirror's edge 2 amazing (Was a fan of the first, although I recognize its shortcomings)

1) The most frustrating thing about mirror's edge is how jarring deaths felt. They broke the flow of the game. My advice is to make the screen momentarily go white, and then go back to the last checkpoint...but with Faith already running, and make the transition between "dead" and "respawned" as instantaneous as possible. So you die, there's a single moment of blankness, and then Faith is running ahead towards the challenge again, so you start with some momentum, allowing the player to immediately jump back into the flow of the game.

2) Streamline the combat. I was a fan of the original combat, but it could be better worked into the flow. If you ABSOLUTELY cannot think of a better way, give Faith a gun and let her shoot while running (the advantage of melee would be that the right set of moves could be one hit kills on enemies, at the cost of putting Faith in a dangerous position).

3) For a hint system, allow the player to call up a faint blue outline of faith that runs along and shows the player the easiest route to the target area (not the fastest route, the EASIEST route).

4) For the love of gaming, keep the multiple paths through the level. That was great in the first one.

5) DO NOT feel compelled to add in open world mechanics. Mirror's edge works best when you have a goal and you are trying to simply make the connection from point A to point B through crazy acrobatics.

6) Keep the art style and runners vision. It was amazing.

7) Keep the story simple, but powerful. The first game was ALMOST perfect, except for the jackknife bit. That was a bit too out there.

8) Lastly, whatever you do, keep the speedrunning aspect. Keep the flow. Nothing felt better than (after hours of practice) being able to run through a level non-stop. It was beautiful.

As I said, you are free to use these ideas as you see fit (I want NOTHING in return), or ignore them if you don't like them. Just remember to build on what the first game offered, and Mirror's Edge 2 will have a running start.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Spangles said:
So basically, yet again it's a case of not getting more of the same for those that liked the game... it's more like they want to give you something a bit similar, but changed in major aspects so the this time it'll also appeal to the people who didn't like it first time round.
Mirror's Edge 2: Modern Warfare. This holiday in stores everywhere.

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
Its all good, once BF3 come's out EA will have another entry into a rock steady franchise

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Spangles said:
"We're actively working on ideas in the Mirror's Edge universe; we just haven't locked on a way to bring it back so that fans will be excited and at the same time we get to a bigger audience. That's god's honest truth," he swore.
"...AND at the same time we get to a bigger audience."

So basically, yet again it's a case of not getting more of the same for those that liked the game... it's more like they want to give you something a bit similar, but changed in major aspects so the this time it'll also appeal to the people who didn't like it first time round.

I'm getting sick of this constant stream of crap.. we never end up getting what we want, it's always going to be changed in favour of a different audience... the constant, constant greed is just sickening.

This goes for everything now... they never give a fuck about the audience they have, it's ALWAYS about the audience they don't have but want even at the expense of the people who gave them money first time round.

Fuck EA, fuck them in their ear.
What, you want them to be respectful to the handful of people that brought it? Where's the profit in that exactly? This is coming from somebody who brought the game.

Of course they want to appeal to more people. The first mirrors edge didn't sell well, at all. Aside from that they recognized that the pacing was all wrong and that the forced combat sections sucked.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
aegix drakan said:
2) Streamline the combat. I was a fan of the original combat, but it could be better worked into the flow. If you ABSOLUTELY cannot think of a better way, give Faith a gun and let her shoot while running (the advantage of melee would be that the right set of moves could be one hit kills on enemies, at the cost of putting Faith in a dangerous position).
The thing that was great about the original was the fact that it punished the player for getting into combat. Rather than adding more of it, they should just make it clear that Faith should avoid combat at all costs.

Jan 27, 2011
boholikeu said:
aegix drakan said:
The thing that was great about the original was the fact that it punished the player for getting into combat. Rather than adding more of it, they should just make it clear that Faith should avoid combat at all costs.
Yeah, that would work too.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
I've got more respect for you now EA. I'm actually starting to like you a bit. Now, whip your marketing department into shape and you will have earned my full trust again.