EA Gives $1.65 Million To American Cancer Society

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
EA Gives $1.65 Million To American Cancer Society

Those Humble Origin Bundles paid off big time.

EA's Humble Origin Bundle paid off big time, generating $10.5 million from 2.1 million sales, and EA has donated $1.65 million to the American Cancer Society. The rest is split between the Human Rights Foundation, Watsi global healthcare foundation, the San Francisco AIDS Foundation, GamesAid, and the American Red Cross.

"We are very grateful for the support of Humble Bundle and their customers through this collaboration," said Lin Mac Master of the American Cancer Society. "The American Cancer Society turned 100 years old this year, and efforts like this will help us make this cancer's last century."

The Humble Origin Bundle included titles like Dead Space 1 and 3, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Mirror's Edge, and as a bonus for the more-than-average giver, Battlefield 3 and The Sims Starter Pack. It raised about half its $10.5 million total in just 2 days [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126930-Humble-Origin-Bundle-Breaks-5-Million], and is the single biggest Humble Bundle in the series' history.

"Thank you again to all our fans who picked up the bundle and donated to these great charities," says EA. "We were really... well, humbled... by your response!"

Source: Game Politics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2013/12/05/ea-donates-15-million-humble-origin-bundle-american-cancer-society#.UqX06-KYzKf]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
inb4 people condemning them for having the gall to give out thousands and thousands of games for dirt cheap and donating money they didn't have to dona-DAMMIT.

Oh well. I'll raise my glass to you anyways, EA. You done good.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Credossuck said:
yes. err. how many millions does the ceo and board carry away each year?

How many millions does one truly need to live comfortably?
I have to live with 22k?/year after taxes, and i do manage.

So no, i am not wowed by EA handing out what amounts to TAX DEDACTABLE peanuts.
Yeah, how dare they try to help. Unless they're willing to liquidate all their assets and donate it to charity, they aren't really giving.

Give me a break. $1.65M is a hell of a lot of money, and will do a lot of good. Props to EA. It's not like I'm instantly going to reverse my opinion on them, but at least they're trying to get better.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
Credossuck said:
yes. err. how many millions does the ceo and board carry away each year?

How many millions does one truly need to live comfortably?
I have to live with 22k?/year after taxes, and i do manage.

So no, i am not wowed by EA handing out what amounts to TAX DEDACTABLE peanuts.
Yeah, how dare they try to help. Unless they're willing to liquidate all their assets and donate it to charity, they aren't really giving.
This.

I say that we remain unimpressed and dour towards everything he ever does until he sells his car and living space to donate to charity. They need the money more than he does.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Did they cure it? Else gtfo!

But seriously well done /golfclap for EA.

$10.5 million raised. The buyers get to decide where the profits go to right? ugh it feels weak when the buyers most likely donated over 50% of those sales to charity and EA comes out the hero with their 10% donation. Dont get me wrong any donation to charity is an amazing thing, I wish I could be as charitable yet my expenses dont allow it. Just annoys me that people praise a company that is so morally bankrupt for 1 act of kindness when there a plenty of companies that every day donate millions to charities, when there are hard working people that donate what little they have to charity.
1 Right simply does not correct what seems like a century of wrongs.

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
Epic_Bubble said:

$10.5 million raised. The buyers get to decide where the profits go to right? ugh it feels weak when the buyers most likely donated over 50% of those sales to charity and EA comes out the hero with their 10% donation. Dont get me wrong any donation to charity is an amazing thing, I wish I could be as charitable yet my expenses dont allow it. Just annoys me that people praise a company that is so morally bankrupt for 1 act of kindness when there a plenty of companies that every day donate millions to charities, when there are hard working people that donate what little they have to charity.
Reasonably certain that EA didn't accept any of the money from these Bundle sales themselves. Anything that didn't go to charity from the proceeds will have gone on Humble Bundle fees.

This is pretty awesome. There is literally no way a multi-million dollar anti-cancer donation is not awesome, unless they obtained the money by beating up and looting from cancer patients.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Kolyarut said:
Reasonably certain that EA didn't accept any of the money from these Bundle sales themselves. Anything that didn't go to charity from the proceeds will have gone on Humble Bundle fees.
Buyers can decide where there money goes, thats the great thing about the humble bundle. You can choose what ever percent of what to play to go to the humble bundle tip, the game developers, or the charities.

But yes you can say all $25 of what I pay to go to charities if one wants.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Epic_Bubble said:

They actually put all those games in the bundle and purchasers didn't have an option to give any to EA.

So... about 90% of the money went to charity (the rest went to the Humble Bundle guys) and EA didn't take a cut at all.

Also, "what feels like a century of wrongs"? Jesus Christ, they only started their infamous studio-eating less than a decade ago. And that's really the worst they've done. They're not irredeemable child murders, they're a publisher that dabbled in franchise milking (not as bad as Activision), archaic DRM schemes (not as bad as Ubisoft) and release medium-to-high quality games. But everyone acts as if EA literally ate their mother and wiped its lips with their dog.

New CEO, new goals, new year, new everything, their distribution platform <link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.825489-So-I-got-Origin-from-EA-A-Review-Image-Heavy>isn't even a fraction as bad as people say it is, and a massive act of charity to kick it off. Can we, as gamers, PLEASE leave the infamous masses of baggage that people laugh at us for lugging around and acknowledge when they do something good in literally every way, shape and form?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So was this a donation from EA separate from the amount raised with the humble bundle or is it just that $1.65 million of the humble bundle money went to that charity and EA are acting like they did it themselves? Either way, that's a lot of money going towards giving cancer the finger. It doesn't make EA a better company though.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Epic_Bubble said:

$10.5 million raised. The buyers get to decide where the profits go to right? ugh it feels weak when the buyers most likely donated over 50% of those sales to charity and EA comes out the hero with their 10% donation.
10% of the donation went to one charity. The rest is split between multiple other charities.

Title of this thread should be altered to read "EA donates 10.5 million to charity", in all honesty, since people are going to keep not reading the article and making that mistake.

Except that they've done far more than one right in the past few months, it's just that because it's EA gamers are going to constantly move the goalposts so that nothing they do is ever enough to "forgive" them.

OT: Good on them. While I hope to see them loosen their tyrannical grip on the games they make in the future, it's great that they managed to raise so much money.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
This is just a demonstration of their ability to give on a whim and it's out of some sort of misbelief that they just have to play nice, to not get voted shittiest company for the third year in a row.
There's a huge difference between philantropy for publicity and changing your ways. EA's just taking the easy road.

Charity doesn't have to be done by sacrifice, but this is an instance where it should, if they want any sympathy.
... Yeah I hear ya. If the American Cancer Society had any balls at all they would have thrown that money back in EAs face and told them to quit with the cheap publicity stunts and make with the sweeping company wide policy changes. The money would have value and be put to good use if it had been given for a better reason, but since this is EA money the ACS is morally obligated to spend it on hookers and blow. If only a company we like more had donated the money instead.

Makes me sick :/

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
Epic_Bubble said:
Kolyarut said:
Buyers can decide where there money goes, thats the great thing about the humble bundle. You can choose what ever percent of what to play to go to the humble bundle tip, the game developers, or the charities.

But yes you can say all $25 of what I pay to go to charities if one wants.
No, that's what I'm saying - specifically in the case of this Humble Bundle in particular, they disabled the ability to split profits to the developer. 100% went to Charity or the Bundle company.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
So was this a donation from EA separate from the amount raised with the humble bundle or is it just that $1.65 million of the humble bundle money went to that charity and EA are acting like they did it themselves? Either way, that's a lot of money going towards giving cancer the finger. It doesn't make EA a better company though.
$1.65M was the chunk of the $10.5M total that went to the Cancer Society. The rest went to the other charities (I sentall of mine to Watsi, for instance).

Also, it totally does make them a better company. It's an indicator of where their priorities are turning. Yes, it's a stunt, but it's a stunt they were willing to take.

People keep saying that EA should "just be less awful" instead of doing stuff like this.. This is vague and useless advice and only shows that gamers don't actually know what they want, because this is a very clear sign that they're being less awful.

EDIT:

Kolyarut said:
No, that's what I'm saying - specifically in the case of this Humble Bundle in particular, they disabled the ability to split profits to the developer. 100% went to Charity or the Bundle company.
Verified.

Kolyarut said:
Yeah - if the American Cancer Society had any balls they'd have given more people cancer just to spite EA! Fight the machine!
Also verified! :D

shrekfan246 said:
Except that they've done far more than one right in the past few months, it's just that because it's EA gamers are going to constantly move the goalposts so that nothing they do is ever enough to "forgive" them.
Also also verified. :(

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
EvilRoy said:
Smilomaniac said:
This is just a demonstration of their ability to give on a whim and it's out of some sort of misbelief that they just have to play nice, to not get voted shittiest company for the third year in a row.
There's a huge difference between philantropy for publicity and changing your ways. EA's just taking the easy road.

Charity doesn't have to be done by sacrifice, but this is an instance where it should, if they want any sympathy.
... Yeah I hear ya. If the American Cancer Society had any balls at all they would have thrown that money back in EAs face and told them to quit with the cheap publicity stunts and make with the sweeping company wide policy changes. The money would have value and be put to good use if it had been given for a better reason, but since this is EA money the ACS is morally obligated to spend it on hookers and blow. If only a company we like more had donated the money instead.

Makes me sick :/
Yeah - if the American Cancer Society had any balls they'd have given more people cancer just to spite EA! Fight the machine!