EA Halts Work on Battlefield 4 DLC

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
They rushed a game out the door (a game that's just battlefield 3.1) and it's resulted is major issues. Surprise surpris. Glad I didn't waste my money on the crap.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Well this informed me of something new. Headshots aren't 1 hit kills... I kinda figured that it was universal that headshots in "realistic" games are 1hk.

I'd patch it so its always 1hk lol.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
I don't play Battlefield, but I do love Battlefront. As DICE is going to be making the latter, I don't know whether to be worried that this is all going to repeat again, or that they're working out all the kinks now so that Battlefront's launch will be flawless.

... who am I kidding :(
Count me in as another Battlefront fan concerned that EA might royally screw it up.

Between the news of BF4's overwhelming technical issues, my disappointments with BC2 and BF3 (I did like the mini BF1943 and the BF4 beta though), as well as EA's love of microtransactions and DLC-only weapons, I can't help but feel that the next Battlefront could turn out to be a massive disappointment. It doesn't help that I'm still slightly ticked off at what LucasArts did to the franchise (I kept my hopes up for it about two years too long, iirc), so I'll certainly be one of the most upset if EA fucks this up.

Also, long progression systems in multiplayer shooters need to die off already. Bit off topic, I know, but it is something I really hope doesn't rear it's ugly head in the next Battlefront (before someone points this out, it was stupid when Battlefront 2 did it too)

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
About fucking time DICE and EA started accepting responsibility for the trainwreck they've been piloting since Bad Company 2. Their treasured engine is still a conflicting mess, their net code is still suboptimal, and their longstanding development process is still abhorrently ineffective. I'm just amazed it's taken them this long to admit it.

Glad I didn't buy into this shitpile of a game.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
EA, heading in a different direction? Check the weather reports for hell freezing over, the agriculture reports for pigs flying and such. One would think they really want to get gamers to like them again... If they announce a new Mutant League game, well... No thats just hoping too much.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
jurnag12 said:
While I assume part of the DLC team could be transferred, I don'tthink the graphical artists are gonna do a lot of good with the coding.
Unless you're a texture artist or fairly senior you're probably employed in an adhoc manner as a self employed artist and let go between projects anyway.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Kumagawa Misogi said:
And this is why I can't understand why Battlefield is considered superior to CoD because at least CoD works.
Then you haven't played a PC version of CoD lately.

Having said that, no version of CoD has been quite as bad as Modern Warfare 2 and it's peer to peer no admin available multiplayer, which was unbelievably shit.

Also, when it is working, Battlefield really is that good, the only series I've sunk more time into over my life is Counter Strike.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Keep in mind, everyone, EA has officially stated that being voted Worst Company in America two years in a row has apparently hurt their feelings and as such they're trying to take steps so that they can turn their horrid reputation around.

News like this certainly seems to be a sign that they're taking that promise to themselves pretty seriously. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I wouldn't be surprised if EA did more "uplifting" stuff like this in the future. It really looks like they don't want to have their name be the butt of gamer jokes anymore.

Now what'd REALLY be kick ass is if they up and decide to go ME3 on us and make all multiplayer DLC for this game completely free to download. I bet that'd earn them some points. :3

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Hey, they are making progress with the patching of it now. My friend told me over Skype the other day that BF4 only crashed 4 times that evening. Apparantly that was a marked improvement from before.

RJ 17 said:
Now what'd REALLY be kick ass is if they up and decide to go ME3 on us and make all multiplayer DLC for this game completely free to download. I bet that'd earn them some points. :3
And on that same day pigs would fly, water would start falling upwards and satan would be taking the grand skiing tour through the snowy mountains of hell.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
lancar said:
RJ 17 said:
And on that same day pigs would fly, water would start falling upwards and satan would be taking the grand skiing tour through the snowy mountains of hell.
I know, it'd be absolutely beautiful! >:D *insert evil laugh here*

Obviously I know that'd never happen, but you cannot deny the validity of the statement itself: it WOULD kick ass if they did that, would it not? And would it also not earn them some points, at least as far as PR is concerned? It'd certainly be another big step in their plea for us to stop hating them. :p

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
I'm glad to hear it. I really enjoyed the bit of multiplayer I've played so far. More stability is more better.

AstaresPanda said:
ANNNNND just like that i think ill save my money and time and avoid BF4.
While that's totally your right, why would this be the piece of information that makes your decision? It's pretty hard to spin this in a negative that isn't retreading older complaints, not that you'd know it from listening to some people.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Everyone, please instead buy Battlefield 2142 and re-populate the servers. Play a functional game!

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
TiberiusEsuriens said:
I don't play Battlefield, but I do love Battlefront. As DICE is going to be making the latter, I don't know whether to be worried that this is all going to repeat again, or that they're working out all the kinks now so that Battlefront's launch will be flawless.

... who am I kidding :(
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Even if they weren't blowing smoke up our asses when they said the guys who did the last medal of honor weren't the group working on it, we're still left with DICE, and DICE isn't what it used to be.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
that is actually a good sign. i still havent gotten the game but if EA actually is trying to fix the game until its 100%, then i might get the game. till then, i stay with AC4 and other games i still have to finish. now i can that my pc has arrived.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm inclined to say this is a step in a positive direction for EA, but recognizing that "selling DLC attached to a game that's still sporting significant bugs post-release" isn't a warm-and-fuzzy, consumer-friendly move isn't exactly going to get you a gold star at the top of your sheet.

Yes, a lot of the customer base of EA and its competitors alike is so resigned to kicking that moving up to not-kicking is an improvement, but we're still chained to the radiator in the basement (to pull out an appalling metaphor that somehow found its way out of the dark recesses of my brain.)

How about we work on the whole "let's not turn our most eager customers into beta-testers and bug-reporters in the first place" thing, guys?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Please list the CoD PC bugs that cause the game to constantly crash then, you know like the Battlefield series has.

Modern Warfare 2 and it's peer to peer multiplayer was a poor design choice put it didn't cause the game to stop working at least not in my experience I never even experienced any lag due to it either.
I have never been run over, therefore people don't get run over!

CoD Ghosts had to patch out several issues involving custom and private game crashes, inexplicable stuttering and frame drops that made it unplayable and texture and graphical rendering issues which also bordered on game breaking. It also had UI issues that would lock up the UI, here is a summery of the patch notes http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200800895#.UqAtksRdU9E

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
Is this EA kind of doing something right?

Everybody into your nearest bomb shelter, quickly!.
Johny_X2 said:
I've been saying this way too often lately but... EA, are you feeling alright? making sensible decisions, saying sensible things...?
amaranth_dru said:
EA, heading in a different direction? Check the weather reports for hell freezing over, the agriculture reports for pigs flying and such.
*In my best David Attenborough voice*

"And here, we can observe The Gamer, in its natural communal grounds. As we can see, there appears to have been a shift in the attitude of the reigning alpha-male, and this has created a large amount of instability, amongst the tribe. Gamers are, famously fragile creatures, and even the most subtle change in the social structure, can cause great confusion amongst them."

Sorry, had to be done xD

OT: Good on EA. They do occasionally have spurts of "hey lets try to do the right thing for once" phases (the last time this happened being the Mirrors Edge/Dead Space release phase), and hopefully they'll actually keep doing it this time...