EA Halts Work on Battlefield 4 DLC

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Simalacrum said:
**snippits**
Awh, I forgot text doesn't convey facetiousness very well... Normally I tend to support EA because I feel they have got the short end of the stick while some other pub's get what feels like a free pass. But in general I don't like the anti-big Dev attitude a lot of folk have 'round these parts because I feel its detrimental to progress. I've always felt that EA is a decent company with a bad PR department that the dev teams probably /facepalm every time PR speaks to the masses. Sure they've put out some less-than-stellar games and closed some dev studios, but not every game is going to pass muster and not every studio can survive forever.
Still it is nice for once not to see EA putting their foot in their mouth for once, hopefully I don't have to eat crow on that statement...

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Please list the CoD PC bugs that cause the game to constantly crash then, you know like the Battlefield series has.

Modern Warfare 2 and it's peer to peer multiplayer was a poor design choice put it didn't cause the game to stop working at least not in my experience I never even experienced any lag due to it either.
I don't know about game crashes, but the first few months of Modern Warfare 2 were completely broken. The Infinite Care Package glitch completely broke multiplayer for a long time, to the point that I haven't bothered to play a Call of Duty game since.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
V da Mighty Taco said:
Also, long progression systems in multiplayer shooters need to die off already. Bit off topic, I know, but it is something I really hope doesn't rear it's ugly head in the next Battlefront (before someone points this out, it was stupid when Battlefront 2 did it too)
Well, BF2 didn't really have permanent character or weapon progression. Characters in Galactic Domination were earned, but reset with each campaign. I liked that because it gave tactical choices for playing against a friend, making the early game more dynamic instead of all classes for everyone. The endgame ultimately gave us that option anyways so it didn't hurt. I just hope that they'll make the Dark Trooper less shitty and more like BF1.

Weapons didn't have progression, but they did have kill streak perks, and even then you lost the weapon upgrade when you died. I agree that permanent progression is kinda dumb. Especially in Crysis 3, the max level perks actually gave you long range, fully automatic, 1 hit kill guns. Being a noob in that game meant you'd stay a noob.

I actually hope they have progression in the game, though, but all cosmetic. It'd be cool to have a variety of armor types and colors, especially considering the vast array of that type in the SW universe. I wouldn't even mind MTs unlocking it faster, but keep the weapons out of it. Call me old fashioned, but I actually prefer the old system of each class not being able to change weapon layouts. It kept play fair, and the meta game really crisp.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
V da Mighty Taco said:
Also, long progression systems in multiplayer shooters need to die off already. Bit off topic, I know, but it is something I really hope doesn't rear it's ugly head in the next Battlefront (before someone points this out, it was stupid when Battlefront 2 did it too)
Well, BF2 didn't really have permanent character or weapon progression. Characters in Galactic Domination were earned, but reset with each campaign. I liked that because it gave tactical choices for playing against a friend, making the early game more dynamic instead of all classes for everyone. The endgame ultimately gave us that option anyways so it didn't hurt. I just hope that they'll make the Dark Trooper less shitty and more like BF1.

Weapons didn't have progression, but they did have kill streak perks, and even then you lost the weapon upgrade when you died. I agree that permanent progression is kinda dumb. Especially in Crysis 3, the max level perks actually gave you long range, fully automatic, 1 hit kill guns. Being a noob in that game meant you'd stay a noob.

I actually hope they have progression in the game, though, but all cosmetic. It'd be cool to have a variety of armor types and colors, especially considering the vast array of that type in the SW universe. I wouldn't even mind MTs unlocking it faster, but keep the weapons out of it. Call me old fashioned, but I actually prefer the old system of each class not being able to change weapon layouts. It kept play fair, and the meta game really crisp.
You're forgetting how the whole medal / killstreak system actually worked in Battlefront 2 while offline (it didn't affect online battles, fortunately, but did muck with spiltscreen). When you're profile has less than 4 of a given medal, you didn't a reward in battle at all. When you had 4 or more but less than 32, you got a bonus for doing certain things in battle (either an improved weapon or general buff, depending on the medal) that would last until the player died. Having 32 or more of a medal but less than 64 reduce the in-game requirements to get said reward by 25%. The real kicker though was when you hit 64 of any medal, as that medal's reward became permanent across all gametypes and the player would always spawn with the improved weapons or buff that particular medal gave you.

I did actually like how the Galactic Conquest's upgrade system worked though, primarily since it was designed to create an arms race between the players and the rewards only lasted for that GC session (akin to Couterstrike and FTL, respectively). It wasn't everlasting and all-encompassing like getting "legendary" status with a medal was.

I do agree about the classes being consistent as well being a good thing, though having multiple weapons and allowing all players access to them from the start may be needed (especially over time) to keep things interesting. Maybe as a full blown expansion that could be disabled for fans of vanilla. Couldn't disagree more about MTs, however.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Kumagawa Misogi said:
And this is why I can't understand why Battlefield is considered superior to CoD because at least CoD works.
YOu see, COD is a game that worsks and when you play it you wish it didnt.
Battlefield is a game that doesnt work but you really wish it did.