EA Has No Intention Of Releasing Remastered Mass Effect For Current Gen.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
You know...I really fucking hate these pricks. Evidently EA has come out saying that they have no intention of ever bringing the original Mass Effect trilogy to the PS4/XBox 1, saying they'd rather devote resources to creating new IPs than remastering old ones. While I can understand the reasoning behind that - and even endorse that line of thinking in some situations - I think it loses merit when dealing with a massive money-making IP such as Mass Effect. There's a little thing called "return on investment", apparently EA has never heard of such a thing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e3-2015-ea-dashes-hopes-of-mass-effect-trilogy-remaster

Furthermore, they seem to piss right in the faces of fans of the series:

"I don't know about you, but sometimes when I go back and play a game, you want the memory of what they were at that point in time when you played them," he continued. "If I go back and play the old games, I think, 'Really?!' Was this what it was? Because in my mind it was amazing."
Implying that if you go back and play the games you'll feel like they weren't nearly as good as you remember them being, that their greatness only exists when the games are fresh and new.

As someone who is just about to complete another trilogy run of the series, I can attest to the fact that - at least as far as I'm concerned - that notion is complete bullshit.

So what do you think? Am I the asshole and you would rather EA focus on having Bioware create new IP's or would you have been interested in having Bioware take a break to remaster the original Mass Effect trilogy for the current generation?

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
On one hand I don't really care what they say because eventually all the Mass Effect games are going to be backwards compatible on the Xbox One so a remaster or remake is not really needed.

Then I remember so far Sony has said nothing about allowing last gen games to be played on the PS4 so I do hope they do eventually decide to remaster the games for people on PS4s.

RJ 17 said:
So what do you think? Am I the asshole and you would rather EA focus on having Bioware create new IP's or would you have been interested in having Bioware take a break to remaster the original Mass Effect trilogy for the current generation?
I would rather a new Mass Effect, I've heard some things about what the newer game might have that really interest me.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I just don't see the point. The game is already in HD (720 is good enough for me on consoles), so it's not like one of those 6th gen remasters. Are people tossing their PS3s or 360s in the bin?

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
EA... Are you alright? You don't seem to want milk your franchise into oblivion to earn yourself a few extra bucks. That's not like you at all...

Still, it's nice to see they are investing in new IPs.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mass-effect-1-new-texture-updatesimprovements-mod
Here you go; there's your remaster.
Just download this free mod to your pc and... Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I'd like any tweaks an update might bring (e.g. fixed inventory in ME1, a canon FemShep in 1 and 2, f'instance), but as has been pointed out, it seems the trilogy will be playable on XB1, so as long as that happens all's well in the world for me, at least.
Ezekiel said:
Stop being stubborn and buy it for PC, people. Buying multiplatform games for consoles is generally a bad idea.
Why's that?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Mass Effect looks fine already. And it's massive and would cost a fortune to remaster. And pretty much everyone who wants to play it has already bought it.

The better next gen solution is to simply make the old games work on them. As with the PC versions, the more powerful consoles could greatly reduce load times due to their extra RAM, and could run at 60fps and maybe throw in a few cheap shader effects to make the game look nicer. They wouldn't get away with charging $60 per game, but they would save a huge amount of money and a cheaper price would make it easier to justify buying it again.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Meh. Give it a few gens and 10-12 years and it'll be nice to see one. Not needed at the mo though.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Mass Effect looks alright, any issues with the visuals are not stuff than can be improved by better graphics and lighting.

PC gamers can keep playing them all. Xbox One users can buy the originals and play them on current gen. It's only the PS4 players that are losing out here, and I very much doubt that there's a sizeable amount of people who don't have a PS3 to warrant the sheer expense it would be to update huge games like the ME trilogy to current gen graphics.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Foolery said:
I just don't see the point. The game is already in HD (720 is good enough for me on consoles), so it's not like one of those 6th gen remasters. Are people tossing their PS3s or 360s in the bin?
It'd just be nice to have a complete package that features all the DLC on disk. That's the main reason why I'd want one, as I never felt like downloading every single scrap. Unless such a thing already exist for the previous gen consoles, though I've never seen it.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Wait so you're complaining because EA and Bioware are choosing to work on a new entry rather than re-release the first 3 games again?Can't please some people

Personally I have no problem with this.There's enough remakes and re-releases already this gen.I want new games damnit

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I think that there is at least some legitimacy to his comments about going back and realizing games aren't as good as you remember. That's certainly happened with me a lot, particularly with games from the N64 era. The thing is, it is so much of a game-by-game and person-by-person basis, that it is a really stupid reason not to re-release a series on a newer generation, especially when the after-credits scene of the third game basically is just BioWare screaming, "REPLAY THIS TRILOGY!"

Casual Shinji said:
Foolery said:
It'd just be nice to have a complete package that features all the DLC on disk. That's the main reason why I'd want one, as I never felt like downloading every single scrap. Unless such a thing already exist for the previous gen consoles, though I've never seen it.
There is a trilogy collection. I believe it comes with codes for some of the DLC, but you'll still have to download it and, especially in Mass Effect 3, pay for some of it.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells

Well with PC and all they just may not feel the need so much. It does seem like a pain to have to keep updating old games.

But well, I can't say I really gain if they remaster so may be a bit selfish so I do prefer if they focus on IPs...

List

Sep 29, 2013
Mass Effect is one of the games announced to be backwards compatible with the xbone, isn't it? So technically they are available for the current gen.

Plus it's too young to warrant a remaster.

I generally hate these "remasters" especially for somewhat newer titles to begin with. So I for one want them to further the series instead of remastering the same stuff all over again.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I find your logic rather baffling, to tell you the truth. So many times, all over the internet, there is nothing but, "Creativity is dead! All developers do is re-release old games! More HD collections that don't work! Why bother giving us something new and exciting, when they can just release something we've all played, and paid for, before?!"

But now, you're upset because the game you want to be remade isn't going to be remade. You even say that you agree with their train of thought, that they want to focus on new IPs, or at least expanding the Mass Effect IP, but you're still upset that they won't remake the game you want them to? That really just makes me shake my head in resignation.

Plus, honestly, I would be surprised if Mass Effect doesn't eventually get a remake. Give it time. The original trilogy was very popular--thus, why we're getting another Mass Effect game. So hold your horses a bit there.

And finally, yeah, I think the guy is right. When you first play a game and you love it, it floors you. When I played Final Fantasy VIII, I thought the graphics were great. The CGI was top-notch. The story was amazing. It was just incredible. As time went on, it stayed incredible in my mind. And then, one day, I got bored and looked up part of the game on YouTube. And I laughed. Because while I will always adore that game, I was certainly remembering it differently than it really was. The graphics are much more jagged than I remembered. The CGI, while still good, is nothing compared to stuff now. Squall's moodiness is just a teenager being a teenager now instead of someone being cool.
He is not saying that games are only amazing when they are fresh and new. He's saying that people view fond memories, especially games, through rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. Your love of that game, and the memory of the feeling of joy you had when you played it, color your memories of it. If you go years without touching the actual game and just go off of your memories of it, then you can bet you're going to be floored when you turn it back on. Especially if it's been several years.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
RJ 17 said:
Am I the asshole?
Yes.

Aside from anything else you complain the game needs a remake and then go on to proclaim that it still plays great as it is today.

The only reason I could see for ever remaking the Mass Effect games is if Oculus rift and the like take off and EA decide they want to want to remake the game based around that (which would be amazing) but I don't see that happening this gen.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Yeah, its kind of strange, yesterday I was on a thread where the OP was pissed that there were too many remastered versions of games, Dishonoured having got his goat.
Now we hearing that companies are evil if they don't remaster their games.

To be honest, I can't see much of a need for a remastered Mass Effect - the game is largely story based, so you're not really getting that much benefit from upping the graphics - which are fine. Its also one of those games where I'd wager most people who want to play it already have and a lot of fans, myself included, would probably just shrug at a new edition.

A lot of the other games we've seen remastered for next gen, tend to benefit from it - GTA5 can obviously use all the processor grunt it can get. Dishonoured was popular enough, but probably didn't sell ME levels - if Bethesda hopes to push the sequel hard, then having the original chapter available at a reasonable price can help. DMC had some framerate issues on consoles, but great visuals, so porting the PC version to next gen makes sense. Tomb Raider sold okay at release, obviously Square-Enix felt that it had a title that more ordinary gamers might buy given the lack of next gen titles available last year and so on.

Assuming it wouldn't sell that many more copies, I can't really see too much reason for EA to push ME again now.

RJ 17 said:
Furthermore, they seem to piss right in the faces of fans of the series:

"I don't know about you, but sometimes when I go back and play a game, you want the memory of what they were at that point in time when you played them," he continued. "If I go back and play the old games, I think, 'Really?!' Was this what it was? Because in my mind it was amazing."

Implying that if you go back and play the games you'll feel like they weren't nearly as good as you remember them being, that their greatness only exists when the games are fresh and new.
Actually, reading behind the lines a bit, I'd tend to agree with his viewpoint. You've got Andromeda coming out, so you think what-the-hey and release a complete remastered ME trilogy. Johnny New-gamer has heard all the buzz and decided to pick-up the remastered edition so he can get upto speed on the universe and law before the new kick-ass game is released. He boots up Mass Effect 1 and either a) finds the shooting in the game not to his liking and decidedly previous gen (which it is in fairness). as a result he puts the boxset back on the shelf and is suddenly less enthused about Andromeda, losing a sale for EA. b) he finds the story in the game amazing and plows through all three, by the time Andromeda is released he's still just beginning ME3 - as a result he decided not to buy Andromeda at the moment and picks it up second hand in a sale later - or, possibly given that he's pissed at the ME3 ending and there seems to be some weird retrocon/reboot/time-paradox reset/plot-hole/general continuity strangeness going on, he decides not to buy it at all.