EA is "on a Journey" to Regain PC Gamer Trust

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
I don't fucking understand you, EA. Why do you even care what gamers think? You've made a living buying up studios with established fanbases and then squeezing as much juice as you can out of those fanbases. You insist that your developers produce content that will explicitly not be included in the launch game so you can sell it later for half as much as the real game- and you're rich as Midas for it, aren't you?
Why do you give so much of a damn what we think of you?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Stop talking about it EA and actually do it. Although you'd be really really had pressed to earn back my trust.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
It's going to be a long journey then. That said, Steam has been pretty damn woeful over the last year and that will probably help help them a lot. Steam needs to buck up its ideas for 2016 because their competition is ramping up.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Oh aye? And my Mam's the chuffing Queen. Until EA pulls their finger out and actually makes steps all the empty promises in the world won't garner any love from the PC crowd.

That said, I thought everyone hated EA, not just PC gamers?

K12

Dec 28, 2012
These announcements are starting to sound like the cheating husband's latest "but honey it'll be difference this time, I've changed!" speech when he wants to be let back in the house.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Stop sitting on IPs and doing nothing with them from all those game companies you sucked dry.

Stop shitting on the ones you do dust off (Dungeon Keeper)

Stop releasing half a game for the price of a full game (SW Battlefront)

etc etc etc.

I'll believe it when I see it.

PS: You might also consider improving your "customer service" department... It's terrible. So very terrible. The worst I've ever dealt with.

PPS: Remake Spore without all the dumbed down gameplay and cutesy bullcrap.

Smoketrail

May 15, 2015
Steven Bogos said:
"Over the last couple of years we have focused on ensuring a great play experience from launch and bringing players a better experience on Origin with programs like the Great Game Guarantee, On the House, and now Origin Access. We're excited about the progress we've made, but are always pushing ourselves to innovate on behalf of players,"
When trying to regain trust blatant p.r. lines are not exactly a great place to start. Bit self congratulatory, which is bad when everyone hates you.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
If EA put as much effort into their games instead of trying to 'win us back', we would like them again.

If EA staff are going to somehow get word of this post, which not only reinforces my theory that publishers actually search through forum posts for 'data' and 'feedback', I would like them to take a step back and look at their history. EA once developed and published rich games that made them the company that they are today. Remember that games made you great, not DLC.

There is nothing wrong with DLC, but mishandled, it can be very harmful to you, the developers and the consumers. If you do go with DLC, I would recommend things that enrich our gaming experience. Kingdoms of Amalur was a fun game, destroyed by mishandling to levels that would be eerily similar to you guys, but their Dead Kel DLC was perfect. It added a new area, which changed how standard enemies acted, and the building a fort from scavenged supplies mechanic was incredibly fun, because there was progress.

Pickles

That Ice Ain't Nice
Mar 1, 2012
Country
Australia
Zydrate said:
I barely touch Origin. I loaded it up two nights ago to see if they had anything new. Not a thing, most pages are just filled with DLC. They also added a subscription thing. For 5 dollars a month, you get access to all their games. Seems a nice idea in theory but I'm just not interested in their platform.
I still open it up every now and then because to give them some credit I have got a fair few older games for free by claiming them on Origin at the right time. I think I've got Red Alert 2, Jade Empire, Dragon Age Origins and Populous that way. Honestly I hated origin at first but its become a way better service over time, even if its not one I particularly like having to use for some games.

EA as a whole however are going to have to do a hell of a lot to win back any trust I used to have for them. Way too many franchises and studios and have wasted away after EA got involved.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I don't understand why some people are so keen for Valve to have a monopoly on game sales. How did this company engender such consumer trust? These are the people who have little to no quality control for their service and do nothing to stop people putting prices up before a sale.

EA may be a dog turd sandwhich but so are Valve, they just sprinkled a little bit of sugar on theirs.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Reads topic. Checks steam. Mass effect 3 still not in steam. Life goes on.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Bedinsis said:
And as the article points out, they DID initiate no-questions-asked refunds, which they should have major kudos for.
Kudos should not be given to someone for simply finally doing what they always should have been doing in the first place, nor for anything any half decent human being would have done, and this is particularly true when it comes to companies.

As it's already been mentioned by others, it very likely the refunding had to do with having to comply with law rather than because EA had a sudden and very brief bout of basic human decency.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Sol_HSA said:
Reads topic. Checks steam. Mass effect 3 still not in steam. Life goes on.
Buy on Origin, run through Steam. You've no reason not to play the game other than some odd loyalty toward Valve.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
immortalfrieza said:
Kudos should not be given to someone for simply finally doing what they always should have been doing in the first place, nor for anything any half decent human being would have done, and this is particularly true when it comes to companies.

As it's already been mentioned by others, it very likely the refunding had to do with having to comply with law rather than because EA had a sudden and very brief bout of basic human decency.
They initiated their refund policy in August 2013 (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127004-EA-Offers-Full-Refunds-For-Unsatisfied-Origin-Customers) something Valve only caught up to in June 2015 (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141003-Steam-Adds-New-Two-Week-Two-Hour-Refund-Options). In this period of close to two years Valve happily did not do the thing any half decent human being would have done. EA did. If it was the law that was breathing down their necks I must ask why they weren't breathing even harder on the larger digital distributor?

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
I'll trust them when they declare bankruptcy and are subsequently cannabalised by several smaller publishers.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
The first steps in a 1000 mile journey, but good steps nonetheless. They still have quite a ways to go until they even get out of shittytown and enter the great plains of Meh.