EA Joins Gay Marriage Coalition

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
EA just can't win no matter what they do

Seriously I am willing to bet EA could cure cancer and give it away for free and people would still lay the hate on just as thick as ever.

Yes, EA does some dumb stuff and a lot of people hate them, but give the devil his due.

I wanted to quote this
jawakiller said:
... So now I should like EA? Fuck it, if EA wants people to like them then they're going about this all wrong. Yes it's all nice and sweet that they support gays and whatnot but at the end of the day, they're still a shitty company. It's not like them supporting homosexuals will suddenly make them better or less horrific. If anything, it just annoys people who, you know, actually buy games. I don't care if they're in favor of gay marriage, I care if they can make a good game without fucking me over.

Cause that should be their fucking job.
This is a perfectly valid reason for hating EA. If you feel screwed over by a publisher because they published a bad game, then that makes sense.

I just don't get it when people talk about how they love the games that EA publishes and yet they hate EA just because.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Ralen-Sharr said:

Seriously I am willing to bet EA could cure cancer and give it away for free and people would still lay the hate on just as thick as ever.

Yes, EA does some dumb stuff and a lot of people hate them, but give the devil his due.
Well...yeah?

A person isn't excused from one bad action because they take one good action. Life isn't math. One bad minus one good does not equal a wash. It just means someone has the capability of doin both.

Blade_125

Sep 1, 2011
This is a good example of why disgruntlement with a company should be voiced.

Of course this is self serving and a play at improving their image, but everything int he world is self serving. They realize that people are pissed off at them and are trying to do better to improve their image to improve sales. Everyone wins out in this situation.

Bravo to those voicing their displeasure with EA, and bravo to EA for listening.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Ralen-Sharr said:

Well...yeah?

A person isn't excused from one bad action because they take one good action. Life isn't math. One bad minus one good does not equal a wash. It just means someone has the capability of doin both.
my point is that EA could do an entire face-heel turn and genuinely try to not be shitty and they'd still get hated, just because they are EA.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Ralen-Sharr said:
shintakie10 said:
Ralen-Sharr said:

Well...yeah?

my point is that EA could do an entire face-heel turn and genuinely try to not be shitty and they'd still get hated, just because they are EA.
There is literally no way to know that for a fact because EA hasn't done a complete face-heel turn. They've done some good and a ton of bad. Until the bad parts stop bein bad people will continue to hate them.

I just never understand this kind of argument. "Oh if such and such completely went contrary to how they've acted for the past x number of years goin completely in the face of logic they'd still be hated because of y things they've done in the past." No one ever does that. In the history of the world no one has ever done that.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Yes EA are assholes, but it's nice to see big companies support such things, even *if* it's just for publicity.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Gearhead mk2 said:
While I am glad that EA seems to be not totally heartless, lets face it, it wouldn't be below them to be this outspoken just for PR.
Repealing DOMA is actually financially in their best interests. Any state where gay marriage is legal means that EA would be required to keep two sets of benefits books. One set for the federal benefits, and one set for the state benefits. It's a real big pain in the ass, and THAT'S why business is fighting DOMA.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
So, I guess this announcement will improve Battlefields community while further blackening CoDs? Well played EA; well played.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
At least EA is doing something right.

Jiggy said:
EA is only being self-serving, they just want to retain the right to fuck all of us.
You actually made me laugh. That's pretty witty.

Hat Man

Nov 18, 2009
Stop hiding behind gays EA.

I know you're only doing this to take attention away from how bad you are.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I like how even when EA does something that people on these forums support, they still get flak for it. Also, this would be the worst PR stunt ever because the nation is heavily divided over the issue, meaning that no matter what side you choose, you're going to lose a bunch of customers.

Anyways, It's nice to see companies who are willing to take a stand on a controversial issue. It's something that doesn't benefit them that much since they offend someone, but it shows moral support. Taking that risk to support some group in what you think is right is wonderful.

Apr 5, 2008
Good call EA. Respect where it's due. If your business practices and customer services were half as tolerant and worthy as this attitude, maybe customers wouldn't associate your company with evil.

Why do US corprations get involved in politics anyway? It seems very odd for businesses to have political opinions, not to mention bad-for-business (presumably by alienating customers with opposing viewpoints?).

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
vxicepickxv said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
While I am glad that EA seems to be not totally heartless, lets face it, it wouldn't be below them to be this outspoken just for PR.
Repealing DOMA is actually financially in their best interests. Any state where gay marriage is legal means that EA would be required to keep two sets of benefits books. One set for the federal benefits, and one set for the state benefits. It's a real big pain in the ass, and THAT'S why business is fighting DOMA.
Um wait a minute the act states that the company/state does not "have" to recognize the marriage meaning they can if they want to, not that it is illegal for them to do so.

Also its not a matter of them having to separate benefits plans as if they "chose" to not recognize the marriage then they just count that employee as single which is already a separate benefits plan.

the only way this straw man argument even makes sense is if they were trying to repeal an act that required all companies to offer benefits to spouses of married employees.