EA Joins Gay Marriage Coalition

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Who cares if EA supports gay rights or not. It's an attempt to try to salvage a reputation sullied time and time again every time they open their collective slobbering maws.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
So my Bartolomeo Shepard can marry Kadian and EA are ok with it?

Oh happy day!

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
KingsGambit said:
Why do US corprations get involved in politics anyway? It seems very odd for businesses to have political opinions, not to mention bad-for-business (presumably by alienating customers with opposing viewpoints?).
either don't follow US news, or not living in US. reason because "corporations are people", and "corporations run politics" for explanation a bill is up for vote in either the house or the senate, and there will be countless lobbyist in DC offing politicians big money/deals to vote one way or the other.

the other reason is for pure image saying "look we all believe/support X, and if you believe/support X you should buy our products to support us"

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Saviordd1 said:
Nantucket said:
Good on you EA.
Self-serving or not at least EA acknowledges this is the 21st century.
This.

I don't care if they're self serving or not, they are a big voice and more voices behind this ideal the better.
Not to mention, considering how active they've been in this matter in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if at least SOME of the intent is truly out of a good place.

Of course they realize that this is going to be good for image...but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't also want to help.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
While my opinion of EA will likely never change (because this has nothing to do with what they actually do as a company) at least they aren't like Chik-fil-A.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Any ally is a good ally in the fight for LGBT rights. I despise EA, but this is good to hear. They have a shit ton of weight to throw around and I'm glad to hear they'll be throwing it at someone that deserves it for a change.

Call it self-serving if you want (and it very well may be, but who cares?), but this also has the potential to hurt their image as much as help it. It may be the 21st century, but there are a staggering number of ignorant people still out there. Look at how many people got pissed at Nabisco.

To celebrate this, they should really get on that whole "same-sex romances" thing in the Old Republic...

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Will I ever here the phrase "Thanks, but no thanks" from the gay community over where 'support' for them comes from?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
You know what. EA did something right. They dropped the archaic concepts of marriage and support people having equal rights to feel miserably shackled to their significant other. No matter their preference in partner.

Good on you EA. Now if you could please stop fucking me over I might actually support you once again.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Actions speak louder than words, or in EA's case: Actions speak BETTER than words.

God help us if EA was only doing this as some publicity stunt. But it is nice to know some corporations are aware that this is the 21st century, no matter how retarded their marketing team is.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
FamoFunk said:
Yes EA are assholes, but it's nice to see big companies support such things, even *if* it's just for publicity.
Lets just bring you up to speed. EA doesn't do anything unless its for publicity.

Sigilis

Nov 11, 2010
EA's support of this cause is a good thing. Of course, since they are a game publisher and not an advocacy organization this makes very little difference to me. I am not going to buy their products until they stop bundling them with restrictions and unhappiness (That I personally find to be too onerous to bother with). It is not surprising that they support marriage being extended to all when they themselves have not been shy about entering long term commitments with multiple partners. What is Origin but a ball and chain, after all?

Still, this particular piece of EA's policy I agree with. I very much like civil rights. Perhaps other corporations will see this and other worthy causes to extend the rights of the people to express themselves as the PR bonanza that they are and support them. It couldn't hurt.