EA Kills Red Alert 3 for PlayStation 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Kills Red Alert 3 for PlayStation 3

PlayStation 3 [http://www.ea.com].

Details are very thin at this point, but Xbox 360 [http://www.psu.com/EA-cancels-Red-Alert-3-for-PS3--a0003872-p0.php]and PC versions of the game for pre-order.

PSU also reported a few days ago that a recent promotional trailer for the game mentioned the Xbox 360 and PC versions of the title, but said nothing about a PlayStation 3 release. When contacted by PSU regarding the omission, EA's Red Alert 3 community manager said, "I can't speak of the PS3 version right now." When the game was announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81459]in February, EA said a version was being developed for the PlayStation 3.

We've contacted Electronic Arts' public relations division for confirmation of the cancellation, and will update as soon as possible.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Too much hassle for EA to program it around the PS3 architecture? Too little buyers to gain? (demographic study perhaps). Still, i'd never buy it for my Xbox. Can't live without my mouse + keyboard when playing strategy games.

Sniper_Zegai

Jan 8, 2008
I thought it would only be a matter of time before these kind of delays became a thing of the past but it seems developers only seem to be finding it harder to cater to the PS3's architecture.

I feel sorry for PS3 users who forked out the extra cash for the "superior" hardware only to have that same hardware fail them, time and time again.

fyrh56

Apr 2, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
What on earth are those things in the picture? They look like vehicles as drawn by the teletubbies. Where are the mammoth tanks, and the mig jets, and the tesla coils?
Why MIGs when you can have zeppelins? The bigger the 'FWOSH' when a unit dies, the better they are. I assume that was the Russians line of thought.

On a more serious note, I wish they'd just kill the franchise altogether. EA already butchered C&C, I would very much like to have the RA universe spared from EA's cleaver. RA2 was already mediocre enough.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
I would like to think that it's because they decided not to dumb it down for console release, then reading further I saw that it's available on the 360...and almost cried.

Sniper_Zegai

Jan 8, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
What on earth are those things in the picture? They look like vehicles as drawn by the teletubbies. Where are the mammoth tanks, and the mig jets, and the tesla coils?
Well its clearly on sea so expecting to see land structures like Tesla coils is a bit odd. Mammoth tanks are part of the NOD and GDI sections of the C&C universe and were never featured in Red Alert. MIG Jets were available in Red Alert 2 : Yuri's revenge so they may appear in the game. And the Zeppelins have been a staple of Red Alert 2 since its release, they are one of the most feared aircraft in the game.

RA2 was great because it was simple, it didn't try to impress you with silly extras that you would never use. It handed you some cash, a base, a a few troops and said "figure it out"

Sniper_Zegai

Jan 8, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
It's not the lack of Tesla's that bother me, it's the fact that both the photo shown here, and the footage I've seen, suggest that this game is going to be very cartoony in its approach to warfare.

I only ever played RA1, but I'm sure it had both Soviet Mammoth tanks and MIG jets. It was also a darn sight grimmer than the footage I've seen thus far, but I'm absolutely positive EA knows what's best...
I think Red Alert 1 used the same engine as the other games so I don't know if the grittier look was what they intended or if they just went with what works. Red Alert 2 was relatively cartoony in some ways but it didn't take it over the top. But you could get Psychic troopers, Iraqi nuclear warriors and killer Dolphins so take what you will from that.

Im no EA fanboy, they've ruined plenty of franchises but Im afraid my Red Alert fanboy side is in full blown denial and is sure the game will be great. Although they could do more to make the stuff like the boats look more realistic and less. . .colourful.

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
Trying to play a RTS without a mouse is just an exercise in frustration.

And if EA's standards for "quality" continue with this, chances are I'll be passing on it anyway.

Tread184

Feb 29, 2008
I think, as far as the story goes, the entire C&C series has been ruined by EA. I loved RA's game play, likes General's game play and like C&C3's game play, but they butchered just about everything else that I loved about the series (they didn't even let Westwood complete Tiberian sun) and it pains me to read about RA3. Seriously, having almost all structures and vehicles amphibious destroys any unique strategy element of even having water (and a navy) in the game, it's practically just slightly clear, blue, land.
Anyway, back on topic, an RTS shouldn't be on a console anyway, well except for Endwar. heh.