EA: Medal of Honor Will Overtake Call of Duty

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
EA: Medal of Honor Will Overtake Call of Duty

An executive from EA Europe claims that MoH will outsell Activision's Call of Duty series in the next few years.

A senior vice president of EA Europe, Jens Uwe Intat, likened the two series to the competing soccer franchises, FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer. EA's annual FIFA releases gradually gained momentum and finally surpassed Konami's PES in sales. The first MoH in three years is due out on October 12, 2010, while Treyarch's Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285263936&sr=8-1] hits shelves on November 9th. Intat admits that MoH may not beat out Activision this year, but predicts a long, healthy, sales battle.

"We certainly want to get back on top for shooters with Medal of Honor," Intat said. "We're not going to outdo Call of Duty this year but it will get dangerously close. This is going to be a journey, as it has been with the way FIFA overtook PES.

"In the years to come, we're definitely going to beat Activision and Call of Duty," stated Intat. "The combination of digital marketing and advertising with the strength of word of mouth - something that really helped FIFA - should help the comeback."

Intat is referring to the fact that Medal of Honor [http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Limited-Xbox-360/dp/B000TI836G/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285263859&sr=8-1] hasn't had an entry to the series in over three years since Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360, PS3) and Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 (Wii, PSP) were both released. I wonder if Intat is hinting at an annual release schedule for MoH to more directly compete with Call of Duty.

EA also has a secret weapon in that MoH isn't their only successful shooter franchise.

"We actually have two IP bullets in our gun. Battlefield sold very well this spring and in some countries it came close to outperforming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285263904&sr=8-1]."

Given that this year's CoD is an "off-year" with Treyarch designing Black Ops and not Infinity Ward (not to mention that whole controversy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98761-Rumor-Security-Locks-Down-Infinity-Ward-Ousts-Studio-Head-UPDATE]), it will be interesting to see if Medal Of Honor sells well in comparison.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41006/EA-takes-aim-at-Activision]

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
MoH was never a "top shooter". I played the first when it came out and found it atrocious. Each installment was as terrible as the last too.

MoH will never do better than CoD unless CoD stops being made.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Even if it did i would hope it was for Great Storytelling, presentation and balence gameplay.
If not it would not be much of a win.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Hahahahaah. That's funny. You're funny.

Wait? You're serious? Uh, guys, could you, please, make statements like this after your game has come out and sold well? Pretty please?

Also, yearly releases. You don't have enough studios to do that for Medal Of Honor without it getting stale.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
It won't. I've played the Beta, it was quite awful, even discounting the bugs and stuff.

On the other hand Black Ops looks like a pretty good improvement on MW2.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
Is this opposite day?

Is this guy smoking some kind of recreational pharmaceuticals?

MoH isnt even in the same state as CoD.

That's a ridiculous statement.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Yeah, sure EA, right after the PSP catchs up and overtakes the DS in sales figures...

coldshadow

Mar 19, 2009
its like watching two kids smack talk each other at a school playground. JUST FIGHT ALREADY!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
EA vs Activision...and what a baseless statement to make.
There are playground bullies with more class than these two.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Either way, we're being made some companies ***** for a genric, dull, moronic fps

I can't wait until we're out of the fps era, seems that's all the majority of the market want these days :(

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I'm pretty sure no game besides call of duty will overtake Call of Duty.
I mean, MoH has to be pure GOLD. And even more! And then, maybe, MAYBE, it will barely win over CoD.
CoD is just too damn popular...

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Given that this year's CoD is an "off-year" with Treyarch designing Black Ops and not Infinity Ward
Hold on, it's not really an off year as Treyarch are now the lead team on the CoD games, is it? or do we have to wait for the next Treyarch game before they can really be considered the head team?

Anyway haha fat chance EA keep dreaming, to many fanboys wont make the switch.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Medal of Honor will never overtake Call of Duty. Call of Duty has gotten to much exposure and has the entire might of Activision's marketing department behind it. Since nowadays it seems that marketing is the deciding factor on whether or not a game sells well and not quality and giving that the multiplayer portion of Medal of Honor is horrendously similar to that of Call of Duty's I think people will just stick to CoD.

I mean look at Battlefield: Bad Company 2. The multiplayer portion is something that every FPS game with a multiplayer portion should aspire to. It's tactical, it's fun and I can say without a doubt that I rarely felt frustrated whilst playing. Did it overtake Call of Duty, a game with inferior quality? No, it did not. Like I've said before, marketing is what makes a game nowadays.

Hell, even if it actually overtakes Call of Duty will that really matter? Kotick will still walk home tonight with even a bigger wallet than before and when the next Call of Duty game comes out he will walk home with even a bigger pocket. Just because you managed to sell more does not mean the sales of the game you managed to overthrow will suddenly fall.

The same argument can be made for World of Warcraft. People keep talking about a WoW killer but the term makes no sense. You won't "kill" WoW. The game will still make billions and just because it doesn't hold the crown anymore doesn't mean profits will suddenly drop.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
That's not happening. MoH has never, ever been better than mediocre. Besides, even if it's not true they will be accused of copying CoD.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Im sure that MoH will overtake CoD. Treyach is not one of big, successful studios, it can only leech on Infinity Ward. And core IW workes have already left, and formed a new studio.

While MoH may be leader for some time, it won't stand a chance when Replay Entertainment hits the scene.