EA: Medal of Honor Will Overtake Call of Duty

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
The Call of Duty games are pretty freakin' fantastic as far as I'm concerned, and this new Medal of Honor reboot would have to be pretty phenomenal to even compare, but you know what? Even if it is better, it still won't overtake COD. Why? Because in the minds of the masses, COD is the image of the contemporary shooter. The people who want this sort of thing trust COD and will continue to buy it. It's the same reason why Move and Kinect won't overtake the Wii, and why no MP3 player has yet been able to eclipse the iPod: Sometimes it's just a matter of hitting it big before anyone else does. The only way to beat COD is to do something different, and MOH seems dead-set on being a shameful COD rip-off.

I doubt MOH will be good anyway, if only because I'm automatically skeptical of anything that prominently features a Linkin Park song. Case in point: the Transformers movies.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Will there ever be a day when shooters aren't set in generic places with generic people firing generic weapons?

BRING BACK TIMESPLITTERS!!!

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I seriously doubt that. Out of the most played titles on Xbox Live, the most recent week had three of the top five games being Call of Duty titles.

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
Zing said:
It won't. I've played the Beta, it was quite awful, even discounting the bugs and stuff.

On the other hand Black Ops looks like a pretty good improvement on MW2.
I gave up because although I did well it always crashed just before the round ended. It meant that I was starting over every time I tried. Apart from that it was just boring and completely unbalanced. If you play as U.S all you need is one good tank driver and you'll steam roll 'em. Otherwise it was just COD6 with an inferior control scheme.

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
It'll do better? How do they even know it'll do well? I played the beta and can attest that it is very boring. It's also highly unbalanced. one guy with a tank can steam roll them.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
In the same way I would court a wait and see approach to such hefty, but not entirely unreasonable claims, it is incredibly shortsighted to base predictions of the success of the finished product, on the performance of the beta code. It crashed, was rocky, hit detection was all over the place. But, they fixed it. Speaking of betas, where is Black Ops' beta? For a game that follows a title with *huge* balancing issues and modding/hacking concerns, can the inferior developer of the two really do what the superior couldn't without a beta?

Call of Duty 4 was great, it set the bar for future Call of Duty titles. MW2 straight up did not deliver, you know the issues, certain perk combinations and custom killstreaks on top of constant modding and hacking broke the balance over one knee, and no attempt was made to fix that. Singleplayer wasn't up to par either.

Now, Treyarch has really only made half-decent titles. Call of Duty: Big Red One. Call of Duty 3. Quantum of Solace. Spiderman: The Video Game. World at War had balancing issues as well, and the single player campaign on Veteran at the end was nigh-impossible. They neither have the history nor the pedigree.

Black Ops is a massive gamble on Activision's part, and it is a gamble. If it falls through, Call of Duty receives another less-than-spectacular entry al a MW2 and WaW, and Infinity Ward's dismantling will have been an omen. If it doesn't, then I praise their success and I will be glad to have been proven otherwise. But nobody think for a second that just because this is Call of Duty that this is a done deal.

..I'm still waiting on that beta, though.

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
Maybe if the beta wasn't the worst fps game I have played in a while I would take that seriously.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Didnt EA admit themselves that they would be taking the bronze in the shooter race between Black Ops, and Reach?

I mean im fine with optomism, but contradictions with your own words need to be sorted out.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
It is an off year for CoD? Tell that to Treyarch Greg, they've put their heart and soul into Black Ops so that they can become as loved as Infinity Ward. While Medal of Honor will probably be a fantastic game and inject some competition into the FPS market that is currently dominated by Call of Duty, Halo, and MOH's half-brother Battlefield, I don't think that it will replace CoD in terms of sales. Besides, wasn't there an article on this site in which a MOH developer stated that the game would have to sell 3 million units in order for there to be a sequel? Why is Intat talking about a series if there is even doubt of a sequel?

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Greg Tito said:
EA: Medal of Honor Will Overtake Call of Duty
...He then announced plans to start a snow-shoveling service in Hell.

That's not in the article, but it should be.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
We'll see, we'll see.

But I very much doubt it. MoH has been away from the scene for too long, and although the new game looks pretty good I doubt it offers anything particularly new or never-seen-before.

Plus, the only MoH game I ever like was Allied Assault, and even that had its bad moments so even if they have moved on from their past, it's gona take a hell of alot to move the titan that is CoD from it's throne...

Manchubot

Sep 9, 2010
I played the MoH Beta and I found it fun for awhile, but I found a few things lacking. What sold me on the CoD series was primarily the pace that has been established which other first person shooters has yet to accomplish. BF series is understandably lumbering with the sheer amount of level there is in the game which it would have to trade off for the increased flow. Medal of Honor had the map size (Team Death Match Map I am discussing, not the Rush esq mode) that were somewhere in the realm of CoD4 to Counter-Strike. Though explosives and tubes are far more frustrating in the CoD series I felt it a less frustrating game then MoH Beta, or BF2. BF2 had the issue of if you weren't sniped you were blown up by a vehicle. Last true gripe I had with MoH was that there was no hardcore mode to enjoy. BF2 did it to rope in that crowd from the CoD series so why didn't they do it for MoH? Though it was only the beta, so only time will tell what will happen and the sales figures will be our answer.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
And then Command & Conquer will overtake StarCraft. Killzone will overtake Halo. Persona will overtake Final Fantasy. Two Worlds will overtake The Elder Scrolls.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Buccura said:
And then Command & Conquer will overtake StarCraft. Killzone will overtake Halo. Persona will overtake Final Fantasy. Two Worlds will overtake The Elder Scrolls.
Cats and Dogs living together, Mass Hysteria!!

Seriously though I might actually give Black Ops a look. I was prepared to write off more CoD games, but I've liked what I've seen of Black Ops thus far.

holographicman

Oct 6, 2009
i kind of hope it doesnt
for the same reason i didnt want Reach or Bbc2(and 3) to be bigger than mw

cuz if a game gets bigger than mw
all the the lil shits and modders and campers will show up on better games