EA Montreal Exec Decries "Dumbing Down" Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Montreal Exec Decries "Dumbing Down" Games

Army of Two [http://www.armyoftwo.com/home.action] Executive Producer Reid Schneider says it's not necessary to "dumb down" hardcore games to make them more accessible for new gamers but notes that sometimes developers do need to take extra steps to accommodate Europeans.

The "gamer demographic" is growing in leaps and bounds but the vast majority of that growth is coming by way of the so-called "casual gamer" who isn't necessarily interested in sinking hours at a time into a focused interactive experience. Attracting new players to that sort of high-intensity gaming is a big challenge for a lot of studios, which sometimes unfortunately results in the "dumbing down" of new releases that alienates the old-timers but also fails to attract a new audience. But Reid Schneider, executive producer at EA Montreal [http://www.eamontreal.com/php/splash.php?b=1], says that's the wrong approach to take.

"The market is expanding with more casual players coming up, so we're starting to see a decline in terms of hardcore sales based on GamesIndustry [http://www.npd.com/].

"If we want to continue to be successful and take mindshare away from other forms of media then it's really incumbent on us to make products that are more accessible," he continued. "That's doesn't mean dumbing something down because that's not the right way to do it, but how do you make accessibility that really resonates with customers, brings people into the fold, but not at the cost of dumbing things down? We have an amazing opportunity to make something of this medium, it's interactive and you can almost touch it, but we should continue to make intelligent and meaningful games that are experiences for people that they can't get from other forms of media."

Schneider also acknowledged that the increasingly international nature of the industry can force "tonal" restrictions on games as well. Talking about the 2008 release Army of Two, he said, "We had this whole market in the US that thought the tone was cool, but in Europe everyone thought it was ridiculous and tasteless and a bunch of frat guys running around."

"It's really important for us tonally to appeal to the European audience because with the core audience in that territory, the game really turned them off so deeply that they couldn't get to the game underneath," he said. "In a movie you're distanced from those characters and you're watching them, but in a game you are those characters and if they say something you find bothersome it rips you right out of the experience."

I find Schneider's comments particularly interesting because of my own appreciation for European games: They reflect a distinct sensibility toward videogaming that you just don't see in most mainstream American releases. It doesn't often translate into major sales breakthroughs on this side of the pond but it is a refreshing change of pace and, for the aforementioned hardcore crowd, often a superior experience. Kudos to Schneider for wanting to broaden his audience without serving up crap every day, but I worry a bit about the bland homogeneity that can result from trying to please everyone. It's probably a good way to make money, but is it a good way to make games?

Monkeytacoz

Sep 22, 2009
but they are a bunch of frat guys running around, they fist pound after killing hundreds of people

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Army of Two Executive Producer Reid Schneider says it's not necessary to "dumb down" hardcore games to make them more accessible for new gamers but notes that sometimes developers do need to take extra steps to accommodate Europeans.
I laughed, a lot.Thank you for that.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Accomodate europeans how? I know a few morons who though AoT was good

hansari

May 31, 2009
Monkeytacoz said:
but they are a bunch of frat guys running around, they fist pound after killing hundreds of people
Don't forget the air guitar, slapping, and "salem, salem, SALEM!"

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Maybe the French should have made Beyond Good & Evil more internationally appealing, without any risk of dumbing down, by replacing Jade with a wise cracking body builder with a gun.

I like to read between the lines of this statement and interpret it as saying that Army of Two Two doesn't need to be dumbed down because they already made the original too stupid by mistake.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
quite right, we spit in the general direction of your American games.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Hah, I'd say Army of Two is already "dumbed down" by design with the whole "frat guy" appeal. And I'm not European.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
swaki said:
quite right, we spit in the general direction of your American games.
Indeed good sir, now let us retire to the drawing room and discuss this no further, fnar fnar

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, its nice to see they will try and accomodate for us.

Sometimes I wonder if the American Market, or Japanese market sometimes remember Europe is here.

Be interesting to see what they do, and what they mean in terms of "Accomodation"

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
kinda have to say that's not really a revelation, all countries and regions are different and it shouldn't come as a surprise they react differently to ad campaigns.

however i do agree with not dumbing down games, even tho too many of them are already dumbed down a lot. most of the games out there today, even on hard, aren't very difficult. i'd like to see some difficulty put back into games

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
There's an easy way to make Army of Two appeal to more people. Just make them be jerks on purpose and poke fun at the frat boy/ middle American mentality.

Then rename the title to Army of Two Douchebags. Fuckin gold.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
Yeah, I'd agree with the make games more accommodating to Europeans bit. Some games need to turn down the AMERICAN PATRIOTISM YEAH! a bit, it doesn't really work as well outside the US.

And give us decent pricing, God damnit.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Jon Etheridge said:
Just poke fun at the frat boy/ middle American mentality.
Aren't they already doing that, what with main characters being, you know, homosexual and all that?

Yes, this is canon. In a prequel book, Rios defects from his girlfriend to Salem, postponing the wedding multiple times.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The only major change needed to appeal to the British audience at least, is to have the characters a little more "modest" our characters don't tend to be so 'up themselves' if you understand what I mean.

I don't mean that in a rude way but American lead roles tend to be the "smart-ass cool" guys whereas British ones tend to be the "quiet and gets the job done" type.

Or this:

Jon Etheridge said:
There's an easy way to make Army of Two appeal to more people. Just make them be jerks on purpose and poke fun at the frat boy/ middle American mentality.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Jon Etheridge said:
No, diamonds.

Need to be able to pimp your guns with more diamonds!

(Salem could also put Rios's handgun in jello. GUFAWH)

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Most Europeans have no problem with patriotism, it's a good, healthy thing to have pride in your country.

But Americans have a tendency to take it too far and pretty much push it over and over into your face. It's crass and irritating. Like someone who won twenty euros on a scratch card and keeps shoving it in your face every five seconds.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
They reflect a distinct sensibility toward videogaming that you just don't see in most mainstream American releases.
I would love to hear what games you are talking about and which traits that they have which can't be found in American games. Not that I'm disagreeing with you, I just want some specific games to understand specifically what you are talking about.

aequidens

Nov 9, 2009
I suppose American characters generally have more of a Duke Nukem attitude, but it kind of balances out when you look at Gordon Freeman, who is arguably the biggest character to come from that territory. I don't think our markets are that far apart, except maybe for sports games.
I'm European by the way.