EA: Multiplatform Insomniac Title to Exceed 90% Review Average

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
EA: Multiplatform Insomniac Title to Exceed 90% Review Average

EA believes the secret project Insomniac Games has in the works for the publisher will be the cream of the crop.

In May, Insomniac Games announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100905-Insomniac-Goes-Multiplatform-After-16-Years-of-Sony] a deal to develop a multiplatform title with EA partners after sticking with Sony for 16 years previous. According to EA, the title that Insomniac is developing will be something universally beloved by reviewers.

EA Partners head David DeMartini recently told Eurogamer that Insomniac is on the path to beat its already high review average. When asked if the secret Insomniac project would be groundbreaking, DeMartini said: "It would be impossible for me to say no to that. They're doing what Insomniac does. Insomniac makes really high-quality experiences that consumers love, and they're doing that again. They are breaking some ground with regards to gameplay. But I'm not going to sit here and say, 'Yeah, they're going 4D.'"

But despite the lack of the inclusion of a fourth dimension, DeMartini continued to say: "Insomniac regularly has set a bar at 90 in Metacritic. I think this game is going to exceed that bar." He calls Insomniac's multiplatform title a "really great creative idea that they're executing on marvellously so far."

Okay, great, but when will we get even an inkling of what the game is? DeMartini said: "I think sooner rather than later we're going to be sharing some early concepts on that one because they've made so much progress."

Well, I'll take sooner rather than later anytime, I just hope we're not let down after this kind of trumpeting. Insomniac must be a busy bee, with recently announced [http://www.amazon.com/Resistance-3-Playstation/dp/B003O6E67A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283827473&sr=8-1], and this multiplatform title for EA in development alongside them. The name is probably fitting for the developer at this point in time.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-03-ea-partners-david-demartini-interview?page=2]

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I love Insomniac and their games, so whatever they announce I'll most likely buy it.

Potato21

Dec 17, 2009
How do they go 4th dimensionally? We can't perceive the 4th physical dimension, and time already flows in games, otherwise they'd be a screenshot. If he means 3D then yeah sure, you can have move or kinect for 3D movement tracking or 3D glasses for 3D games, but you can't go 4D

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I'm excited for this. I love this company and will definitely buy their next title which i hear is a crossover title featuring Ratchet & Clank, Jak and Daxter and even good ol Sly Cooper.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
And just for that amount of hubris, I rate a 3/10.

In all fairness, though, I'm interested in what they are doing, since Insomniac tends to put out quality stuff.

EmeraldGreen

Professional Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
Potato21 said:
How do they go 4th dimensionally? We can't perceive the 4th physical dimension, and time already flows in games, otherwise they'd be a screenshot. If he means 3D then yeah sure, you can have move or kinect for 3D movement tracking or 3D glasses for 3D games, but you can't go 4D
I have one word for you: Miegakure.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
I'm excited for this. I love this company and will definitely buy their next title which i hear is a crossover title featuring Ratchet & Clank, Jak and Daxter and even good ol Sly Cooper.
thy are making a PS move game called "heroes on the move" featuring ratchet&clank,sly cooper and Jak&daxter.

Man this game sounds amazing I can't wait for it.
The world will be at an end, and it will be AWESOME!!!

HPoirot

Apr 15, 2009
I look forward to finally playing an Insomniac product again. The only thing I regret about tech-switching from PS2 to 360 is not being able to play games from Insomniac. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Oh man... i really wonder what they're doing with this "secret project". I don't think it's anything like R&C, because cute characters - even ones armed to the teeth - are not popular with X360 audience. On the other hand, it's not gonna be a carbon copy of Resistance either, because Insomniac are better than that. I, personally, wish they made a shooter about badass space cops with jetpacks. [small]Although really... who knows what's it going to be?[/small]

Potato21 said:
How do they go 4th dimensionally?
I understand that it's hard to distinguish from the real bullshito-marketing, but that was a joke (haha, fat chance) on EA Partners exec's part. The fact that it's worded confusingly dosen't help.

SnootyEnglishman said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I've heard that it's made by some new company, probably specifically formed for this. I'd be more cautious if i were you.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Too bad there are hardly any credible or competent video game reviewers involved in spitting out scores on a point system. Generic space themed FPS number 1000 always gets at the very least 7/10, and that's if its exceptionally uninspired and bland. Till mediocre games start getting 5/10 or lower regardless of hype or how much money they put into advertising I won't care about virtually any scores given to games.

Generally if I want to know if a game is any good I look on gamefaqs reviews (get a selection of real people's opinions) then look for the reviews with the worst scores, and see if those people have any legitimate problems with the game. Then after that I look into what positives it has going for it, then I'll find a way to try it out (rent if no one I know has it) to see if I enjoy it.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
Not a fan of any of the 4 games on the website...

I hope they make something I like!

Is it a surprise that people get boastful?

Best of luck! I hope you create the best game EVARZ!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Too bad for EA that review scores don't mean anything. "This new game will be a 92." Okay, that tells me NOTHING. Shut the hell up with your numbers and actually tell me about the game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, I will admit they generally do release quite good stuff. so, I can see it getting good reviews - EA though, certainly thinking high though

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
This is just plain old marketing, creating hype and whatnot..

Even a mediocre game will sell well if its hyped enough.. Hype= mo money!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Wow, EA, feeling that insecure? Would think publishers know better than to believe the public follow critic reviews like drones.
Sometimes I think critics are from another planet. I know one [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation] is from another continent at least.

deltabrain

Dec 14, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
thy are making a PS move game called "heroes on the move" featuring ratchet&clank,sly cooper and Jak&daxter.

Man this game sounds amazing I can't wait for it.
The world will be at an end, and it will be AWESOME!!!

Sadly insomniac has nothing to do with heroes on the move and neither does naughty dog or sucker punch. That game is being made by Nihilistic Software the makers of marvel nemesis and the unreleased starcraft ghost, so there's a good chance it's going to suck.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Whatever it is, I'll probably get it.
I'm a 360 player, so I'm going to take any opportunity I can to play a game from Insomniac, as I've heard good things about them.