EA Offers Full Refunds For Unsatisfied Origin Customers

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Do they have new people in charge of Origin/PR? With the humble bundle, a few sales etc. it certainly seems like some of their policies may be shifting.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Once step back to http://chrishecker.com/Can_a_Computer_Make_You_Cry%3F keep going EA

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Oh hey, Origin is officially and unequivocally a more customer-friendly platform than Steam. It's going to be fascinating to watch people attempt to deny this particular development, or twist it into some kind of deception.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Kalezian said:
Steven Bogos said:
Maybe EA is not literally Hitler after all.

When EA, or any other company for that matter, starts rounding people they deem persona non grata, placing them in death camps, and start murdering over 6 million of them, then we can assume they are the next Hitler.

Anything before that..... it's just bad hyperbole.
I understand that, "literally Hitler" is a popular catchphrase that people use whenever a company does something that people strongly disagree with, for the purpose of over exaggeration. Just pop it into Google and see what comes up

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
this is something that is too dramatic for real life. this kind of policy from EA. just wow. this looks pretty darn good. I guess the old EA CEO that used to be CEO back when EA were awesome is tryign to replicate its own sucess again. we can only hope so.

CardinalPiggles said:
Aren't most EA games about 5 hours long? What's there to stop people from completing a game a giving it back?
nothing. and thats perfect motivation for the studios to make games people dont want to give back.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Whoa, glad to see others are as surprised as me on this one. New direction for EA or is this just step one in their evil plan. 24-hour return policy that only lasts for a couple years and then goes away after people have already been suckered into amassing an epic library there?

I'd like to see this as a new direction though. EA has some IPs that deserve to be in a better company's hands and if that's EA with a better CEO at the helm then so be it.

I expect this will have some absolutely hilarious effects should something like Sim City repeat itself.

Bujiraso

Feb 12, 2011
Good going, EA.
For this magnanimous show of consumer good-will, I have created an Origin account, downloaded the client, and redeemed my Humble Bundle codes.

Good show.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I appreciate the good business practice being adapted with EA, that we have been chastising Steam for years now.

But that's the thing, i don't think they are doing this because they believe that we as customers deserve a fair ground with more rights, they are doing this because 'Hey, Steam doesn't! and we are very fucking desperate!'.

I don't buy this ' New Good EA' for one second. And i really fear for all the gullible people out there who might be turning to EA now that it has shown it can somehow steal common sense ideas from looking at other, but not by looking at itself.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Maybe EA is not literally Hitler after all.
Whatever our feelings about EA, I find your wording... questionable. Popular catchphrase or no.

Reading the fine print, there seem to be a few loopholes for them to exploit (you need to meet "certain criteria"), but the idea is there.
Too bad anything on Origin downloads at 120kb/s...

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
it still does not cover your stupidity of purchasing a non existing product one month before the release, so every thing is cool (unless people grow a brain in the near future)

Edit: well fuck, they do refund if you prepurchace... but people still need to grow a brain

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
I think people are overreacting a bit.

On a scale of 1-10, Valve's a 9.5 (always like to leave room to improve). Origin's a 1.

EA puts in this policy, they're now a 2. Valve's still a 9.5.

Improve 7 more points and a fuck will be given to EA. Until then, they get no fucks given from me.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
It really is a pleasant surprise to see EA take it's new approach to consumer relations (ie: not dicking them all day) so seriously

EA, on the outside chance you're listening, nix the spyware aspects of Origin & I'm in

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Since it only applies to EA games, and since the vast majority of those in the last few years, as well in the foreseeable future, are heavily multiplayer focused, it is highly unlikely that this feature will be used by anyone. It is also not possible for it to become widespread, since many other games are in fact not multiplayer focused and do last less than 24 hours. Steam can never implement this, imagine having such a return policy for a game like, for example, Amnesia A Machine for Pigs. You just buried the developers alive. Not gonna happen. Still, this is a clever PR trick. Very clever. In fact, it's the second such trick that EA have pulled within a week. From a company that was a complete communications trainwreck only a few months ago, this is an impressive change in the way that they present themselves.

Dr_Fred

Entitled person (until Monday)
Sep 2, 2010
Well, since after buying From Dust on Steam I discovered that it required UPlay, asked for a refund and got it on the spot without trouble, I wouldn't say that EA "one-upped" Valve, rather than they're investing more on PR.

On the other hand, that IS a great step in the good direction, so it would unfair not to give them credit for it.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
First giving millions to charity, now a refund process?

While I still don't trust the company's attitude toward many things, I remain open to the idea that somehow the company might turn around. I certainly hope they do. Maybe they finally found someone to exorcise the Spirit of Bad Business Decisions from their offices?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
schmulki said:
I think people are overreacting a bit.

On a scale of 1-10, Valve's a 9.5 (always like to leave room to improve). Origin's a 1.

EA puts in this policy, they're now a 2. Valve's still a 9.5.

Improve 7 more points and a fuck will be given to EA. Until then, they get no fucks given from me.
It's hard to take serious a claim of overreacting when you're taking the scaling to such extremes.

Be realistic.

Origin is nowhere near that bad and Steam is nowhere near that good. There's a disparity, but that's just over-dramatic tripe.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
So now I just have to install, beat and remove RPGs within a 24 hour period to get the game completely free? Challenge accepted.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Oh EA you guys are awesome.

giving the gamer's stuff to get rid of the hatred, good for you my friends.

Keep it up I'm getting a little sick of defending you.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Hm, EA doing something good and promoting a new policy that will better competition against Steam, GoG, and other distributors!? 0.o
EA...are you feeling alright? I ask because this is a wise PR decision and a good policy all around that I gladly accept...
Seriously though, this is a good thing and I wouldn't mind some more nice policies to come.