EA Offers Notch to put Minecraft on Origin, for free.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Naeras said:
lRookiel said:
If only Minsc could speak with EA.

"This behaviour must not continue! Feel the burning stare of my Hamster and change your ways!"
"Otherwise there will be buttkicking for goodness!"
YAY, someone who gets it! *Dances*

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
The funny thing is that Notch has NOTHING to gain with this. There are way more people that know of Minecraft than Origin, hands down.

karoliso

Apr 14, 2009
First Notch supports the idea of Origin for the competitiveness in the industry and then says this. Now people are saying he's a hero? Really? This is a guy that released a single, buggy, unfinished game...

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
dexxyoto said:
Any chance of clarifying that statement as I am curious to hear your reasoning especially since you come across as a well spoken troll otherwise.
Clarifying which part? That Notch can be an idiot? He can be a supreme idiot from time to time. He comes off as extraordinarily unprofessional and childish when he gets into pissing matches on Twitter. That's not an assault on the man, everyone can be an idiot from time to time, but it's unusual for the public face of a company to behave as such.

As for EA being a tyrant, I'll let EA's behavior speak for itself.
To be a bit of a devil's advocate here, how else does one reign in a very vocal idiot than by being a bit of a tyrant, really?

I think a lot of people are confusing the issue here -- it's not about the size of the company, but the scope of the company. Mojang is a development house. EA is a publisher. Developers make games. Publishers market and distribute them.

(Are publishers entirely necessary? Nah. But, as you've rightly indicated, sometimes development companies aren't the best at presenting themselves to the public. It's okay to trust someone to manage your image. And yeah, that means they'll be calling a lot of the shots, because their job is to reign you in -- and they've got money riding on it.)

That said, I don't like EA or anything. Just wondering if both sides of this discussion are really even hearing each other.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Just a tad condescending considering all the Dolla he's rolling in. EA have proven they can't (or simply won't) get that stuff right, so I fail to see how they can help him.

BeerTent said:
SajuukKhar said:
[...]

All Ea can do is eat up other companies, burn them out, close them, then repeat.

It is all they have ever known.
I'll say no to that... Because back in the day, when I saw the old Electronic Arts logo, it was synonymous with "good game." And the first Dead Space and Mirror's Edge games brought that same feeling back.

I'd say when they got the new white circle logo, that's when they started sucking shit. How EA got to that point is beyond this Tent, but it happened real fucking fast.

Also, never fucking tell a programmer what they cannot accomplish. Stop me if this surprises you, but EA drops the ball. Again.
Its incredible, really. They went from being twats to being decent around the 2008 mark, apparently trying to get themselves some good will, and now they're flying head first back into twat mode.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Pretty much this. I don't know about you guys, but I've got accounts with no less than five DD services. One of those (Origin) I only used for the Battlefield 3 beta, and promptly removed from my hard drive after that was over.
I bought the new Alice when it came out on Steam, only to find that you also have to install Origin. I've since left it partially installed and completely untouched.

When will they learn? I. Do. Not. Want. Origin. On. My. PC.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Syzygy23 said:
EA? Willing? To? Play? BALL?

Don't make us laugh. Hilleman asking Notch to put Minecraft on Origin for "free" is the closest real world equivalent to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw

C'mon, Notch, won't you shake a poor sinners hand?

Go AWAY EA, nobody likes you.
EA wishes it could pull off a song like that like Keith David! So true though. Nothing EA does is on the level.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
illas said:
Oh, another reason to dislike and think less of Notch... fine, fine...
Fixed that there.

Didn't know Notch was at the same level of stubborn Origin haters. I've always gotten the impression he was one of those stereotype PC fanboy attitudes and my suspicions are confirmed with each new thing he does.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Here's a better idea: offer Minecraft to some Humble Bundle or other charity event.
Giving EA free loot makes no sense at all.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Bhaalspawn said:
lacktheknack said:
Bhaalspawn said:
Syzygy23 said:
Go AWAY EA, nobody likes you.
*Slowly raises hand*

I like them...
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN THE WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:p

(Although I'm curious about your rationale on why you like them.)
Just to name a few...

Also, I still cannot figure out what they did to make people despise them that much. They behave in the same way as every single corporation in the world. Frankly, there are times when I get the feeling that gamers don't even have a basic knowledge of business.
Heh. Mirror's Edge is my favorite game ever, so I know where you're coming from. Where they're getting on my nerves that they've withheld the Mirror's Edge DLC from me because I don't want to use their online store, and their online store is increasingly necessary for various games I'd like to play. I don't want it because it data-mines without asking.

So I have a relatively pleasant relationship with them (although I wouldn't ask them to babysit for me), but they've burned other people with things like online passes and dissolving other studios we like.

Should the "Always On DRM" become an EA standard as I fear it will, then they'll join the ranks of Ubisoft in my list of "WORST THINGS EVAR".

The thing is, not every other corporation behaves like that. Valve asks before data-mining, CD Projekt goes DRM-free, and several companies don't take significant steps to discourage used game sales. We wish that EA would be like other businesses, but since this is the internet, the most common method of expressing this is by pure unadulterated fury.