EA Plans Free-To-Play For Every Major Franchise

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Plans Free-To-Play For Every Major Franchise

Electronic Arts COO Peter Moore says connectivity and free-to-play are going to be "part and parcel" of every major franchise in the company's stable.

There was a time, long, long ago, when a studio made a game and released it, and gamers purchased the game and played it, and if all went well they looked forward to the sequel and played something else in the meantime. It was a simple system, for a simpler era; but times have changed, and Moore says the days of "fire-and-forget" game development are over forever.

"The ability to be able to interact with [Battlefield and FIFA] on a free-to-play basis has got to be part and parcel of every major franchise we do now," he said in an interview with Engadget. "That's very important to Electronic Arts now, to be able to bring more consumers into our world of FIFA and Battlefield, the two that I think point out what we can do on a 24-hour basis, regardless of how much money you've got in your wallet, how much time you have to spend, what device you're playing on [or] where you are in the world."

The same thing holds true of always-on gaming, which Moore said is now a part of everything EA does. "We don't ship a game at EA that is offline. It just doesn't happen," he said. "And gamers either want to be connected, so that your stats and your achievements and whatever you do certainly reflect who you are, or you want the full multiplayer experience on top of that. We don't deliver offline experiences anymore."

Like them or not, free-to-play and always-on gaming can succeed or fail depending on their implementation, as illustrated quite nicely by Mass Effect 3. The multiplayer component implemented a free-to-play mechanic that allowed hardcore fans to dive in without punishing more casual players, but the forced integration of multiplayer as a part of the single-player experience could be frustrating and even infuriating for people who couldn't, or didn't want to, jump into the action. The idea of broad-based free-to-play doesn't bother me, in other words (and of course, your mileage may vary) but EA will have to step very carefully if it wants to avoid dragging broad-based closely outrage behind it.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/24/ea-peter-moore-interview-gamescom-2013/]

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
So in short, EA didn't want to get outdone by Microsoft in the stupid decisions race and has decided to make a comeback. Great.

DoubleAgent74

Dec 1, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"And gamers either want to be connected, so that your stats and your achievements and whatever you do certainly reflect who you are, or you want the full multiplayer experience on top of that.
I don't want either one of these. What does that make me?

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
If it's one thing I learned, its that EA are cowards. The second this starts to backfire they will get in line. If people support it then they deserve what they get. :)

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I don't trust or have any confidence in their ability to understand what free to play means to care much about this news.

Just look that what they call "free to play" with SWTOR.

On the upside, there will be demos for all the EA games.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
sounds like ea wants me to hate them i haven't joined that bandwagon and i really don't want to. i like sp games always have always will

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I wouldnt mind if what they did was just a small spin-off title to go along with the release of the actual game to give some publicity, but to actually turn a franchise into a F2P game just because of a quick buck is a dumb decision

The Pink Pansy

Jun 17, 2010
Wait a sec... free to play using Mass Effect 3's multiplayer as an example?

Since when does ME3 multiplayer qualify as free to play? You have to buy the game to get the multiplayer component of it, therefore it is not free to play. Or am I missing something?

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Ha, and everyone thought EA might have changed for the better with the Humble Bundle and the Origin return policy. It took exactly one week for EA to prove everyone wrong and shoot themselves in the foot again.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
And that ladies and gentlemen is the EA we all love to hate.

I was half expecting them to pull off a PR blitz combined with multiple decent games released similar 2008 semi-revival before starting to kick puppies again. But no, they are going full retard again before those foolish people who though EA was changing could even get some positive momentum going.

Guybythestreet

May 31, 2009
Do the people at EA not discuss their plans with each other? The humble bundle and return policy were smooth moves. But now their games are free to play? Why would you need a return policy on a free to play game? EA =/

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
here we go, EA spent all this time buying us candy and flowers, then they got down on one knee and promptly punched us in the gut.

seriously, though, why does everything need a multiplayer component? multiplayer almost always comes at the expense of the single player campaign, which in games like Mass Effect, Dead Space, and Tomb Raider, are why we bought the game in the first place. If you want to make a multiplayer game, make a multiplayer game, but these hybrid games are getting a tad bit bloated and unfulfilling, imho.

ot: and the capchia is a Telus ad, wonderful

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
There's the EA I know and utterly despise! I knew they were going to drop that playing nice act any day now.
*sigh* you know EA, I was really okay just hating Microsoft this year, why did you have to go and remind us you are also one of the main villains here.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
So first EA blasted Nintendo publicly on Twitter like twats and burned the bridge with them.

Then they go to Microsoft in support of their Xbone with original policies. Surprised that customers apparently don't want that shit, decided to backstab Microsoft with a fuck you and are now trying to act like saints.

Good show you cowardly dogs.

Stinovitch

Apr 23, 2013
Wow... just wow...
EA you just have a talent for screwing things up...
I like mass effect and dragon age for its STORY. Mass effect 3 multiplayer was cool, but I bought the game for its story. Why would you think that every gamers wants to play online?

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Fair enough for the sports games which I hazard are just a couple of new teams or something, but Viscerals last venture (Dead Space 3) was hampered enough with the online faffery. I'm only thankful that at least the game had an enjoyable core... not like FUSE, which was hollow and dead inside.

That said any future for the Mass Effect series lools incredibly bleak. Please find another publisher Bioware, go to Activision or something, they'll shut you down afterwards, but you can at least die with dignity.