EA Plans Free-To-Play For Every Major Franchise

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
Funny, when EA did those good things last week, people were ripping into me when I said, "this is still EA, they just suck a bit LESS now, but they still suck." I guess, "I told you so?"

I mean I just "finished" playing Plants vs Zombies 2 (that is, I hit the wall where they say, "pay shittons of money or grind like fuck for hours to play the game more"), so I see how they want to do F2P. I want no part of this. Just give me a game I like and go away.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Great, just great. I just installed Origin onto my computer because I was confident they were going forward, but then they announce this shit. That's what I get for having faith in these pubs/devs, they never disappoint announcing disappointments. Well they won't get anything from me till they give me an offline mode.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
sid said:
Hate to point it out, I really do, but RIP battlefront

Shit.

Can someone throw up that stuttering Nathan Fillion GIF? That was pretty much my reaction and I can't find it.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
and now every pirate everywhere has a valid excuse to pirate away. EA, why you do this to yourself. Just as i was starting to maybe consider using origin and buying games off you again. Goddammit.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
I realize adding another voice now is like pissing in the wind, but really, this is just impossible not to comment on.
Where does EA possibly find the people they get their opinion on 'what gamers want'. I'm dead serious, because until proven otherwise I choose to believe EA's idea of a game-buyer exists solely as a fantasy in their executive's brains.

Maybe its because I'm the kind of basement-dwelling troglodyte that EA seems determined to push out of existence by force of will, but last I checked gaming (Mid-to-AAA, as in the games Moore is talking about) was still largely a hobby partaken in by introverts; as in, people who gain energy and seek out the absence of other people, and lose energy in the presence of social situations and therefore avoid them. I could not possibly hate the very concept of multi-player more, and every multi-player segment in every game in my library just makes me see dollar signs that could've been spent bolstering the single-player experience. Mass Effect 3, the game Moore champions as an example, comes most prominently to mind as the pinnacle of that ill-thought-out allotment of resources (especially given God knows ME3's single-player could've used a hell of a lot more TLC).

All I hear every time Moore gets trotted out to speak to the press seems to be 'We make games that you would never ever want to even take a look at'. I don't know how EA's reading my mind so precisely, but maybe its a beta version of their next DRM scheme.

Dr. Mongo

Oct 31, 2011
I really should be mad at EA now but since I stopped buying their games a long time ago all I can say is: "Drat, I've been right all that time."

Seriously, I cannot even be mad at them that I will never see the new Mirror's Edge. It's gonna be a shitload of stupid DRM and bad design ideas anyway.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Every time I read an interview with this guy I always want to scream 'citation needed'. He makes these sweeping declarations about what 'all gamers' want that are so blatantly false I don't know if he is ignorant or just doesn't give a shit what comes out of his mouth.

But whatever, sooner or later their shitty practices are going to destroy their business, and maybe then it will give smaller publishers the chance to scoop up the studios EA have been strangling the creativity from for years (when they're not shutting them down altogether, that is.)

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
Seriously, EA, it's okay. It really is. You already persuaded me to stop buying games with your logo on them ages ago. You can stop now.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So EA is continuing their practice of putting all their eggs in one basket. At least they're constant.
Andy Chalk said:
"And gamers either want to be connected, so that your stats and your achievements and whatever you do certainly reflect who you are, or you want the full multiplayer experience on top of that.
I don't want either of those things. Evidently I don't speak for the majority of gamers however.

EDIT: I think I've got a good theme song for EA

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Thought 1: Dear Lord, it's like watching the Titanic hit an iceberg and then hearing the captain say, "Can we pull it in reverse? I don't think I got enough ice for my drink!"

Thought 2: Can I go back to my universe, where free-to-play meant not having to pay sixty bucks upfront (or any money for that matter)?

canadamus_prime said:
So EA is continuing their practice of putting all their eggs in one basket. At least they're constant.
Andy Chalk said:
"And gamers either want to be connected, so that your stats and your achievements and whatever you do certainly reflect who you are, or you want the full multiplayer experience on top of that.
I don't want either of those things. Evidently I don't speak for the majority of gamers however.

EDIT: I think I've got a good theme song for EA
Nice, I also have a video that best describes the general level of frustration:

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
EA is just preparing for its attempt to run for the 3rd year as the worst company in america. I mean, they have to try real hard now since Microsoft has decided to take the spot.

ASnogarD said:
EA *sigh*

Puts Single Player into Multi Player games (BF3 and 4) but no one really wanted it.
Put Multi Player into Single Player games (DS3) not many really wanted that unless I am really mistaken.

Puts all the Free to Play aspects into some of its titles, just not the Free to Play parts.

Makes a Single Player title that players mess with offline between serious gaming sessions... into a MMO, and doesnt add the MMO parts, just the always online and can deliver DLC straight to your machines.

Takes a fun and easy game with a interesting slant that appears on every platform, and turns it into another shooter on mobile and iPads.

Where did they get these idiots from ? I bet they would take the beans out of a bean cannery as well, or the booze out of a brewery.
You forgot the worst part. The consumer, that buys it all. a quite recent (3 weeks old) escapist podcast discussed this a bit in regards to dragons frown. and i agree with them that the only way to actually change th way they do stuff is to deal in what they udnerstand - money. dont buy games like these. buy 10 copies of games you want more off. then they will learn and only then.

Noelveiga said:
Guys, this article is trying so hard to twist what Moore is saying, and you're going for it without thinking. Have you listened to the actual interview?

When Moore says "free to play" he doesn't mean "microtransactions", and when he says "franchises" he doesn't mean "games".

FIIFA has a free to play game called FIFA World, and their iPad game is going F2P. Battlefield has a free to play game whose name escapes me (plus that Battlefield Heroes thing).

He's not saying that Battlefield 4 will have microtransactions, he says that if you want to play A Battlefield game without paying for a disc up front you can do that because they have a F2P PC Battlefield.

It's one thing to react to the things EA says, but making up things they didn't really say and getting angry about that is just weird.
This is EA. you take what they say. interpret it in the worst way possible. and then pray that you didnt forget an even worse way and were right instead.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Guybythestreet said:
Do the people at EA not discuss their plans with each other? The humble bundle and return policy were smooth moves. But now their games are free to play? Why would you need a return policy on a free to play game? EA =/
Imagine it went something like this:

"Sir, I've just heard our company's implementing a return policy!"
"Good Lord, think of the moneys! Quick, I need ideas here!"
"Make every game free to play! We put less work into them, pile up the microtransactions and they can return a free game all they want!"
"Brilliant! We can finally use Riccitiello's 'money clip for a bullet clip' idea for Battlefield too!"

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
What was even the last good game EA has put out in the last 5 years? They seem to consistently be falling behind in grasping what people want. Its amazing they are still a big competitor in the race to publish games.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
So much hate for free to play?
How dare they allow the less fortunate enjoy their games!

I'm all for making games accessible to everyone. Free to play is largely a great thing.
The execution can be done poorly, but the same can be said for standard $60.00 titles.

This is fantastic news to me.
I'd love to see other developers follow suit.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
EA just doesn't want my money. I don't know why though.
But they haven't got it in the last 3 years except for BF3 anyway :)

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
"And gamers either want to be connected, so that your stats and your achievements and whatever you do certainly reflect who you are, or you want the full multiplayer experience on top of that. We don't deliver offline experiences anymore."
Oh, you are so, so wrong, Peter. So wrong.

Bryan Nolen

Apr 12, 2012
Games with a complex and engaging single player story? nope sorry, not for us says EA, we'd rather just milk multiplayer and keep going for the LCD.....