EA Predicts Super Bowl XLVII Winner Using Madden 2013

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
EA Predicts Super Bowl XLVII Winner Using Madden 2013

Will Ray Lewis end up with another Super Bowl ring?

Yes, it's that time of the year again: The time when EA puts its newest Madden to the test and simulates a game between the two Super Bowl contenders. This year sees the San Francisco 49ers face off against the Baltimore Ravens, and if the game is indeed clairvoyant, Ray Lewis will be retiring with a new Super Bowl ring to add to his collection. The official EA simulation of the gridiron showdown put the Ravens on top of the 49ers by a score of 27 to 24.

The annual ritual has a bit of a sketchy history, and Madden's prediction of a Super Bowl outcome isn't exactly flawless. Last year, Madden 2012 predicted that the Giants would best the Patriots by the same 27 to 24 margin. The Giants did end up winning, but the score was 21 to 17. Madden 2011 predicted the Steelers would top the Packers 24 to 20, but when the dust settled, the Packers hoisted the Lombardi trophy with a score of 31 to 25.

So what are the chances that EA's darling has indeed predicted the correct winner? Well, current Vegas odds favor the 49ers by a few points, so we're not going to bet our house on Ray Lewis and the Ravens crew just yet.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
I don't even know when this Madden prediction started, but it's a tad annoying in the wind-up towards the Super Bowl. It's all numbers, math, algorithms and does little to input the qualitative factors, the mental game, that make up so much of who wins and who goes home empty-handed.

Unless they have a quantity for the qualitative. Not sure how that would work.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I love Ray Lewis and Randy Moss but I might lean towards Lewis just because of how magically this season was for him.

Maybe next year Moss can get a ring
I have a hard time cheering for a murderer.

Jedi-Hunter4

Mar 20, 2012
redknightalex said:
I don't even know when this Madden prediction started, but it's a tad annoying in the wind-up towards the Super Bowl. It's all numbers, math, algorithms and does little to input the qualitative factors, the mental game, that make up so much of who wins and who goes home empty-handed.

This story is a bit misleading, they don't do this as a special thing just for the Super Bowl, they used Madden to predict EVERY game, this story kind of makes out they do it as a special thing for the superbowl. They do it to predict how each player will do each in each game to help you choose your team.

I'd say its as accurate as much as any simulation can be when basing it off human beings. They have updated the rosters, injury's, performance, consistency and general stats every week, with the updates relayed in updates each week on the game.

Frostbite3789 said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I love Ray Lewis and Randy Moss but I might lean towards Lewis just because of how magically this season was for him.

Maybe next year Moss can get a ring
I have a hard time cheering for a murderer.
Not this old record again.....

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Jedi-Hunter4 said:
When ESPN described Ray Lewis as "one of the good guys of the NFL" it made me want to vomit a little. In the same way Dany Heatley being allowed to play in the NHL disgusts me.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
redknightalex said:

this, case in point;

Russel Wilson, the starting BQ for the Seahawks.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Jedi-Hunter4 said:
Yes. This "Old record" again. I hope, and I'm glad to see that, whenever Ray Lewis' name comes up someone mentions that he got away with murder. Fuck that guy and fuck his money. If he were anyone else he'd be in prison.

Anyway, I don't put a lot of stock in these predictions, but I don't think they're supposed to be accurate. Just a silly promotion done for fun. I think even the guys at Rooster Teeth did it for one of the Super Bowls.

Also: 49ers.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
Has anyone ever studied the predictive power of EA sports games? I mean they have to be a little better than that world cup octopus. Say they simulate 100 NFL seasons, with what accuracy do they measure the results of the current season? This would be neat because you could model a season with a ton of "what ifs" which is always fun to talk about as a sports fan.

Jedi-Hunter4

Mar 20, 2012
Frostbite3789 said:
Jedi-Hunter4 said:
When ESPN described Ray Lewis as "one of the good guys of the NFL" it made me want to vomit a little. In the same way Dany Heatley being allowed to play in the NHL disgusts me.
He was acquitted of murder and served his time for obstruction of justice, should we just assume everyone who is ever accused of something under circumstantial evidence is guilty?

Since then he's given his time and money to charity work. Been the inspiration of a team and a city and been a figure to look up to for athletes and fan's alike to look up to.

No doubt something dodgy went down that night, an yes he did pay off people after the criminal case was settled but, if you had heaps of cash and were getting dogged for being a murderer wouldn't you give up a load of money your never going to miss to distance yourself from it.

The Heatley one I don't know as much about but looking up a few articles, I can understand how there are too many questions that don't have answers for them to throw their support on that train.

But really the Heatley one, you think he should off been banned from playing. He was convicted and served his punishment, plus he's got to live with that shame and guilt. Millions of people speed everyday maybe not quite to that extent but that could happen to so many people its unbelievable.

The guy who died was his friend and team mate, so he was there willingly, also didn't make him slow down. The Snyder family even threw their support behind him "Our feelings have never changed and we continue to support Dany and the entire Heatley family,"

That one just sounds like a terrible tragedy caused by a stupid mistake. He served the punishments the courts served up for him and has to live with the death of his friend, what more do you want?

I can sympathize with the Ray Lewis one, I disagree but I can see the veiwpoint. cannont understand the Heatley one, the family forgave him, let it go. He was a 23 year old millionaire don't take a genius to see how that could lead to a stupid mistake with tragic consequences.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
I'd put more stock in a goat picking names from a hat than I would anything from EA.

TNightmare

Mar 2, 2011
The whole prediction, in my opinion, says nothing. I still hope the Ravens win, I'm no Ravens fan, but I really think Ray Lewis deserves it. Despite the whole story if he murdered someone or not, you have to respect the effort and leadership he brings to the Ravens defence, and maybe the whole team. The sheer force of will that powers him is just insane.

I mean, come on, the man deserves it for the reason he plays 17 years in a professional sports team, how many people can say that?