EA Ready to "Attack" Modern Warfare

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Danny Ocean said:
Don't even get me started. I think the Battlefield games are the best games I've ever played. Mainly 2 and 2142, as those are the ones I got really involved in. Squad leading be fun.
Well honestly, I thought that Call of Duty: United Offensive was better than any Battlefield game I've played, but then again I think that Call of Duty: United Offensive was better than any game I have ever played except for Resident Evil 4. I still love Battlefield because of their gameplay and I love the way that the games work, but I think one of the best aspects of the Battlefield games is the sound. The music is absolutely fantastic in every single one and the sound effects, especially in Bad Company, are realistic and are more immersive than just about every other game out there.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
BF2 and BF2142 were great. Never did try BF:BC, since it wasn't a PC game. Here's hoping BF:BC2 is a great game.

I question how well another modern military shooter will fare so close after COD:MW2. The people who bought MW2 (which is basically the entire market) are still playing. What will BC2 have to offer that MW2 doesn't? And will it be worth spending another $60 for?

Then again, people paid $60 for MW2, and it offered little over (and was in many ways worse than) COD4. Perhaps people will buy anything as long as it's new.

Now if only EA hadn't missed the Christmas season.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
Danny Ocean said:
Don't even get me started. I think the Battlefield games are the best games I've ever played. Mainly 2 and 2142, as those are the ones I got really involved in. Squad leading be fun.
Well honestly, I thought that Call of Duty: United Offensive was better than any Battlefield game I've played, but then again I think that Call of Duty: United Offensive was better than any game I have ever played except for Resident Evil 4. I still love Battlefield because of their gameplay and I love the way that the games work, but I think one of the best aspects of the Battlefield games is the sound. The music is absolutely fantastic in every single one and the sound effects, especially in Bad Company, are realistic and are more immersive than just about every other game out there.
Ah I've never played that. Now I feel like I'm missing out. :p

I just loved the sheer teamplay at work in the Battlefield games. You could actually talk like a soldier and not sound like an idiot[footnote]"Move up.""Cover me""I need support!"[/footnote]! The mix of vehicular and infantry combat made it even better, as you'd engage in moments that were so cinematic that they could well have been scripted, but they weren't[footnote]Low hitpoints, skulking around a tank, get caught in the open, but it's blown up by a gunship before it can fire![/footnote].
I enjoyed it more before they sped it up and consolified it. I don't mind consoles, but the effects they have can't be denied.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Andy Chalk said:
"The shooter space is one we don't want to give up. It's an important genre and we were the number one,"
When the hell was EA "Number one" in shooters? Anyways bad company 2's multiplayer will have to be waaaaaaaaay better than the first ones if it even wants to touch MW2. Unless they overhaul it completely I don't think it'll be up to standards.
Well if we ignore Halo and perhaps something else, then yes, they were number 1. Back before, the Battlefield games pretty much was a shooter everyone knew and loved.

ReverseEngineered said:
BF2 and BF2142 were great. Never did try BF:BC, since it wasn't a PC game. Here's hoping BF:BC2 is a great game.

I question how well another modern military shooter will fare so close after COD:MW2. The people who bought MW2 (which is basically the entire market) are still playing. What will BC2 have to offer that MW2 doesn't? And will it be worth spending another $60 for?

Then again, people paid $60 for MW2, and it offered little over (and took much from) COD4. Perhaps people will buy anything as long as it's new.

Now if only EA hadn't missed the Christmas season.
Aye, I thoroughly enjoyed previous Battlefield games but never played Bad Company.

To answer your question, in my opinion I think they will be able to compete. They may be similar genres, but Battlefield still has a strong following. On PC I can totally see them winning (BF is still not giving up modding, dedicated servers, and large player counts, among other things). On consoles, I'm not sure, but they'll make a profit anyhow.

They can compete because they've got some tricks up their sleeves. BF:BC2 does seem to offer a lot that MW2 does not. Amazing sound effects, higher player count, vehicle usage (killstreaks from MW2 don't really count; you're not driving something and using it as you see fit) and an actual battlefield to fight on (aka larger maps) are just a few examples.

Oh, and who can forget, the whole destructibility and physics thing? This is one of the best features I've always longed for in a polished first person shooter. It gives people more options and makes for good eye candy.

They've also got fresher multiplayer modes and a much better emphasis on teamwork.

All in all, I sound like I'm really impressed with BF:BC2, and I am. MW2 was pretty entertaining for a while, but I'd like to see how BF:BC2 plays out.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
D_987 said:
The problem with the Battlefield franchise - when compared to something like Modern Warfare 2, is that it's not casual enough. Modern Warfare 2 has a huge movie-like story, fast easy-to pick up and play gameplay and a sense of progression whatever you do.

Battlefield can try to copy that sense of progression, but by its very nature large scale team battles aren't going to attract the same attention as small, fast paced games that anyone can play. What's more, Battlefields last title in this franchise (Bad Company) was a terrible failure - an extremely poor single player campaign with a sometimes fun multi-player; not really the sort of game you want to compete with Modern Warfare 2's adrenaline-rush style gameplay. However, the success of the spin-off 1943 might have given the series sufficient public knowledge to get a large number of sales - who knows?

Medal of Honour might have a better chance as it's a more console-orientated franchise - even so, many "non-hardcore" (you know what I mean; the sort that don't spend their time discussing games on the internet but play Call of Duty for hours) gamers have never heard of either franchise, and if they have their experiences are mixed (from personal experience).

Sorry EA, I wouldn't go around claiming they can challenge Modern Warfare 2 in terms of sales just yet...
I actually enjoyed Bad Company, just thought I'd put that out there. In any case BC2 looks like the CoD killer we've all been waiting for, key word LOOKS.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
I'll feel horrible but, GO EA! In any case, I'm concerned about the rating, not that it would matter to me, it would just be like losing a good friend, I wouldn't have even gotten into Battlefield 2 if it weren't rated "T" (my parents were a little paranoid that I might go shoot up a school when I was about 9-ish. Apparently the appearance/lack of blood makes worlds of difference in a child's psyche, I can shoot a squadron of enemies, but god forbid they bleed, I might snap!) I'm just rambling now, so I'll leave you all to your forum mongering.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
if they had weapon customizations..

I love the XM8/M8 platform. IMO Ghost Recon series did the XM8/M8 weapon right.

WlknCntrdiction

May 8, 2008
I've never played BF:BC before but that Panama Canal gameplay has sold me:D
It just looks more visceral than MW2 ever could be.
I'm going to get it for both my 360 and PC:)

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Gilbert Munch said:
PayJ567 said:
I hope this outsells MW2 on pc, that would really shove it to IW. Yeah take that while you sit on your tonnes of bank notes not caring.
The 'tonnes of bank notes' prove that Infinity Ward have won, and I doubt they'd care if BW2 outsells it on the PC. In case you haven't noticed, it's owning the console market.
It appears the concept of sarcasm was lost on you. I geuse its hard to convey properly without signage, or tone of voice.
You guessed correctly. Combine the fact that sarcasm is very hard (read: impossible) to convey across the Internet and that your original statement was poorly worded, and you end up with something like this.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Kalezian said:
Caliostro said:
[1]
Kalezian said:
of course multiplayer sucks ass for simple reasons that are in every single online shooter of the same type.

prone, powerful sniper rifles [as in you DIE from a 12.7x99mm round, not run off and insta-heal],and overall squad gameplay
Those sound like good things... Definitely better than the assorted junk MWII has. If you think being sniped is bad, what about nuked? Or shot from a gunner plane? Or killed by a thrown knife that should never in a million years pierce kevlar by a person holding a shield that makes them practically bullet proof?

[2]
Kalezian said:
, yes it was a good idea, but then again I hate how I tried to tell my team-mates about the rifleman behind him only to find out that he doesn't have a mic. not only that, but you can only talk to the 4 people in your squad, so there is no cross squad tactics you can even think about using.

if they even just fix the squad thing, I might try out the online part, but besides that, a rent for me.
FYI: Retarded team mates exist in every game that HAS team mates. Not really a good reason to evaluate a game by.
[1] you missed the point, BC didnt have those things unlike every game out in the market, and it gets annoying since I mainly play a sniper in most maps. While I agree about the shield part, MW2 actually does those better, since you can shoot down the plane, and sniping really consists of getting to the hghest point and hoping no one saw you climbing, unlike in BC, where its crouch behind a rock [since, you know, in the future humans have devloved to the point we cant lay down] and attempt to hit someone in the head, since hitting central mass does nothing. im pretty sure if you got hit with this:

note, the one on the far left is the 12.7x99mm.

Im pretty sure you would die if you were shot in the chest with that, not being able to run a hundred yards behind a rock and instantly inject heroin magic into your bloodstream and instantly heal all your wounds.
I think the reason that the insa-heal was there was to give it a slight sense of cartoonishnes or not-so-realism. not every game needs to be super realistic. I played battle field 2, and it was annoying when you would be fight and no matter how much you tried, if you where close to the person, you would be relatively close to death. and, ho say, you where alone or without any medic nearby(as you would be a lot) you would die. not saying they needed an infinite health re-gainer, but I think letting the basic foot soldier have something to heal himself with makes him a little more useful. and ya, only being able to 4 people is supposed to promote team work, but all it does is get people mad because you can't talk to anyone else you just happen to be near by. still, I agree with most everything you said, just the health heroin was adding a little bit of comedy(like how the grenades have smiley faces on them.) now, I'll get back to lying down by squatting to sleep, good day. *crouches and promptly falls asleep.*

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
Even though I like MW2 I do hope this will be better as I prefer the kind of gameplay they offer... So I will have to say GO DICE!!! (See, I didn't say EA so I don't have to feel dirty)

hazakura

May 7, 2008
Wow! I hope Battlefield badcompany can take on Modern Warfare. and I hope it wins. I'm gonna need to dig up my copy of the first one and give it a good re-play....there, I said it....EA still scares me.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Sulu said:
As long as BC2 uses fantasy guns that will never be in service (see pic in OP) then I won't be very attracted to it. That and the last Battlefield game I bought had the rediculous punk buster software for the PC which made online play useless.
The XM8 is very real - it may not be the official weapon of any military, but it is still real, and can still be obtained, such as if you were a PMC.

And it was going to be the new MBR of the US Armed Forces, but then for some reason they completely switched courses and took the relatively inferior SCAR series weapons instead.....

Chester41585

Mar 22, 2009
Caliostro said:
Let me point out that ever since I saw gameplay videos for Bad Company 2, I immediately saw it as vastly superior to MWII.

Although, it's all down to words and specs right now, the final word isn't till BC2 is playable and in the hands of the people.

If there's anyone capable of tackling the money shitting behemoth that Call of Duty became, I'd say that's undoubtedly the Bad Company franchise.
Indeed. I like me some Modern Warfare, but I think I'm only using it as a hold-over until my next hit of Bad Company. Hopefully by spending all this time developing this next installment, EA will have fixed some of the buggy AI from the first Bad Company.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
I doubt it will take a big ***** out of IW's profits. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game (judging by the beta) but MW2 made an awful lotof money.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Caliostro said:
Let me point out that ever since I saw gameplay videos for Bad Company 2, I immediately saw it as vastly superior to MWII.

Although, it's all down to words and specs right now, the final word isn't till BC2 is playable and in the hands of the people.

If there's anyone capable of tackling the money shitting behemoth that Call of Duty became, I'd say that's undoubtedly the Bad Company franchise.
Agreed, Battlefield 2 was the first non quake online shooter I got into.

And there was this sweet sniper spot in Mashtuur city that was hilarious fun pissing off USMC snipers from.

docbox1567

Nov 10, 2009
It?s interesting how EA is advertising the multiplayer part of the game and not the campaign. Maybe they?ve come to realize that the hick with the ?hilarious? dialogue and how danger isn?t his middle name, equivalent to Starwars' Jar-Jar Binks, isn?t showing their best side. So EA is going to challenge IW with the possible continuation of the brain dead hick, a shaky campaign from the lack of advertisements and the ability for your teammates to shout fuck every five paces taken in multiplayer.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
How bout you guys not try and one up your clone games to be like the other and make one stand out over the other?

Ya know. Like real competion? There are so many FPS clones out there...What will the game breaking gimmick be? As we know what fails...

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
0z0wen said:
There won't be a fight between MF2 and BF:BC2.
Bad company will destroy modern warfare 2
Really? How, exactly?

Also, to all you naysayers: MW2 is a really good game. Yes, the plot is ludicrous, but I loved the ridiculous story and played for the fantastic settings and gameplay. The multiplayer is also really fun. It's frenetic, and fast-paced, and you feel compelled to keep playing to unlock all the guns and things. It is like an MMO in that way, but with the draw of an MMO, and not many of the flaws. The gameplay trailers for BC2 look amazing, but I doubt it can topple, what is it now, the best-selling game of all time? Something ridiculous like that.

We don't need to put down one game to like another. If we do that, we're just doing what the warring developers want us to do.