EA Really Doesn't Want to be The Worst Company In America

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
There may be companies out there that are worse.

But I'll tell you one thing: no company on this planet pisses me off more directly. Comcast does, sure, but I can haul Comcast before the Public Utilities Commission and make them lick my boots if they piss me off (and if you haven't filed a PUC complaint against a utility when they piss you off, you should).

EA I can do nothing about as they fuck this industry raw.

This letter just makes me want to vote for them more.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period. [/li]
Yes it fucking is. You can make all the excuses you like but the fact that a company that makes fun leisure activities was even entered for this list means that you are doing something drastically wrong.

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
Sorry EA, creating a gay ghetto planet is SW:TOR to segregate gays from the "real people" does not make you some great proponent of gay rights.

If that's the kind of "help" you're offering us gay folks (and then gloating about) how can you not understand why people hate you?

I'm surprised they don't build separate water fountains and restrooms for black people then stand there waiting for a compliment form the NAACP.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I must say, Mr. Moore seems to be saying that hating EA is akin to hating LGBT rights, as he draws a parallel between the anti-EA people and bigots who disagree with the "support" EA has given the LGBT community. And that's absolute bullshit.

And saying that Origin is in competition with Steam? Absolutely laughable. If Mass Effect 3 had been on Steam, Origin wouldn't even still be a talking point for EA.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Just want to add, I was playing simcity not 3 minutes ago and I lost a private region with 6 developed cites and 2 completed great works just to EA's crappy DRM.

May 20, 2009
EA is in the gaming universe. The gaming universe is defined by gamers. Gamers hate EA the most. In its universe EA is the worst company.

DaSmart1

Aug 4, 2009
I would have respected EA more if they just accepted this like men and stopped trying to make justifications and excuses like a bunch of cowards.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
I mean....okay.

I could talk about Moore's little essay, but that's a waste of time. It's stupid and self-centered and doesn't do him any favors, we all know that. I will just say that, just like last year, I do not think EA is the worst company in America. They're terrible at what they do and annoying as fuck, but BoA and...

(chokes down bile)

Ticketmaster

(fails to choke down bile, throws up all over computer screen)

are infinitely worse. The difference is that the EA has been much louder with their terribleness, and that the product they sell is much more important to the Internet than the product of...

Ticketmas-

(throws up again, falls unconscious to the ground)

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
It should be noted that most of the companies entering the finals have won the WCIA at least once already, it tends to be the same cast of villains every year.

While there was a large contingent of people arguing that EA is a bad company "because ME3 made me saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad" there were far more people on the Consumerist making the argument that EA is a bad company "because I paid circa 100$ for a game that they immediately began selling for less than 60$ because I happened to buy that game on release" or the classic "any company that expects you pay the same amount, or more, for the same product every year and then subsequently pulls all support for the product you purchased is a bad company".

There was also a good few ex-EA and current EA employees who argued that the amount of work they're expected to do in most of their studios is completely unrealistic and is actively causing them undue stress etc.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
It's the "cool" thing to do to hate on EA. They aren't the worst company by a long shot imo. It's nice to see EA stand up for itself. I enjoy their games from the sims 3 to mass effect.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Flames66 said:
Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period. [/li]
Yes it fucking is. You can make all the excuses you like but the fact that a company that makes fun leisure activities was even entered for this list means that you are doing something drastically wrong.
Don't even try reasoning with this.
As some fellow anon from /v/ said,

"It's like fighting with your parents.
You know they're wrong
They know they're wrong

But they think they can make themselves the winner by saying
"it?s not. Period.""

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
WaitWHAT said:
Excuse me! I find those statements comparing people who mindlessly support EA to sheep very offensive! I happen to own several sheep and they are far more intelligent than that....
I apologize for insulting sheep's intelligence, and won't compare them to EA.

They are smarter than that!

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
EA isn't the most hated company in America, it's the most hated company in the world. Because I will never have to deal with Bank of America or Comcast. EVER. But I will have to deal with EA.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Phlakes said:
You know, I'm actually surprised they'd bother with something like this. You'd think they'd have learned by now that trying to change people's minds is pretty futile. It's like trying to convince an erupting volcano to just take it easy for a while.
I've seen that the "Mass Effect 3's Ending is ART and therefore should not be changed" trick they pulled was pretty successful. Utter bullshit of course but it worked.
At the same time I think this time they're not convincing many people by this statement and at the same time piss off people that don't like them already even more. I guess it's always some sort of tradeoff.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
Oh, add my two cents in as well. Since Dragon Age 2 I have not bought an EA title since, nor will I ever.

I might play an EA title if it looks interesting enough, but I will not purchase one. I'll give my money to companies like CD Project RED. Can't wait for the witcher 3, and that other title that the name eludes me at the moment.

I'm canadian, and I'll vote for EA being the worst company. I hope others do what I've done and not purchase anything related to EA

I haven't been an EA Customer since 2011.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Xdeser2 said:
Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period.
Enough to tell you that this letter is utter bullshit. Period.

In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.
NO EA! You do not get to Spin the story and take the Moral high ground on this shit! Dont try to fool people by lumping these intolerant assholes with the people actually making legitimate complaints against your practices. You dont get to try to make yourself look progressive like that.

(As you can tell, Im a bit passionate about this lol)

Still though, I'm glad Grey posted this without much opinion on it all, leave it a bit ambiguous lol
Hey! Did you know you were quoted in an article by the Consumerist (the website that's hosting these golden poo awards) when they commented on EA's statement: http://consumerist.com/2013/04/05/ea-admits-it-can-do-better-but-blames-worst-company-success-on-homophobes-and-whiny-madden-fans/
Congrats, Just thought I'd let you know.

Defeated Detective

Sep 30, 2012
The Rogue Wolf said:
"Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong."

Well, tell me, Mr. Moore- if you can- how many people installed Origin because they thought it was the best source for deals on games, and how many installed it because it was foisted on them by your company as a necessity to play your games?

Now, I'm not saying that Valve isn't guilty of the same thing with Steam, but I think the ratio of willing to unwilling users is much higher with Steam than with Origin.
Actually, the only reason why people even bother with Origin is because is mandatory to have it installed if you want to play a game that's under EA. This was mandatory from BF3 onwards and the point of the matter is that's no different from getting 45 million people to register for Origin because they're doing it at gunpoint.