EA: Respawn Deal Was Not Planned

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
EA: Respawn Deal Was Not Planned

Secret meetings in dark alleyways? Not when it came to publishing deal with Respawn, says EA.

The ongoing saga of Vince Zampella and Jason Ward versus their former employers Activision took an interesting turn when the former Infinity Ward bosses set up a new studio and signed a publishing deal with EA, which was pretty much what Activision thought they were doing and had fired them for in the first place.

But according to EA, the deal between it and the newly formed Respawn Entertainment was just a lucky coincidence, and not some nefarious scheme created in secret.

"[The Respawn deal] was something that fell into our laps, after they were terminated and announced they were free and independent, and we went for it," said EA Games label president Frank Gibeau. "The fact that those guys are doing what they're doing, we're very excited."

"The fact that we were able to take advantage of an opportunity that came our way and partner with Respawn and create a relationship with them has been spectacular, something that we're very excited about," Gibeau said. "It's a key part of how we're growing our EA Partners business going forward."

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179148]

Ace01

May 19, 2009
I still find it neat that infinity ward could help work on battlefield 3 or a new IP.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Ace01 said:
I still find it neat that infinity ward could help work on battlefield 3 or a new IP.
I disagree, the last thing we need in BF3 is the streamlined, easy mode unbalanced crap that they put into MW2. That's what I like about BF, it's not COD (while COD2 is still one of my favorite FPS games of all time, it's nothing compared to the multiplayer that BF2 had)

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
And I probably won't buy games from Respawn either. The FPS scene isn't my thing.

Ace01

May 19, 2009
uppitycracker said:
Ace01 said:
I disagree, the last thing we need in BF3 is the streamlined, easy mode unbalanced crap that they put into MW2. That's what I like about BF, it's not COD (while COD2 is still one of my favorite FPS games of all time, it's nothing compared to the multiplayer that BF2 had)
Im not saying by themselves, more of a assisting role not a determined one.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Ace01 said:
uppitycracker said:
Ace01 said:
yeah, i hear ya. i dunno, i'm just a little bitter about what CoD has turned into, that i'd rather htey didn't touch it personally. DICE will do a fine job, as they always have, in my humble opinion. but hey, that's just me :p

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I'm starting to think that this whole thing is one elaborate troll against Activision by Zampella and Ward. "Oh you fired us cause you suspected we were going to jump ship to EA? Well guess what? We're going to do just that!"

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
uppitycracker said:
Ace01 said:
uppitycracker said:
Ace01 said:
yeah, i hear ya. i dunno, i'm just a little bitter about what CoD has turned into, that i'd rather htey didn't touch it personally. DICE will do a fine job, as they always have, in my humble opinion. but hey, that's just me :p
Well, and, wasn't one of their gripes with Activision that they wanted to do things besides more CoD games?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Starke said:
uppitycracker said:
Ace01 said:
uppitycracker said:
Ace01 said:
Well, and, wasn't one of their gripes with Activision that they wanted to do things besides more CoD games?
yeah, but i would imagine them doing battlefield games isn't going to be on the same level for em... i remember when they were talking about making modern warfare their own IP, i'm thinking it might be something along those lines.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While I have no reason to believe Activision's side of the story, I also find it a bit too convenient that Zampella and Ward received a very favourable deal with EA shortly after they were forced to depart from Infinity Ward. Coincidences do happen, but the timing in this case seems all too perfect.

Usually, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. So my guess is that the Infinity Ward conflict had been brewing for a long time and that Zampella and Ward were on the lookout for potential new positions. Then, once Activision discovered this after terminating their contracts, they decided to use it as a reason for their dismissal in public.

Of course, that leaves the question of what the Infinity Ward conflict was really about. But chances are that nobody outside of those directly involved will ever find out.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
EA would say that.

They should have said nothing at all and let Zampella and West speak up. We haven't heard anything from them yet about this whole situation, have we?

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
If this is true, than Activision are so fucked. This is the entire foundation for their legal case, if they lose this than they not only have to give Zampella and West their owed bonus but probably more money due to punitive damages, and not to mention the $500 million they could lose in the case against their current and former employees to redistributing the money to employees who stayed. Then along with their already dwindling reputation, the entire debacle will put them so far back they're going to have to go into hiding for a while. Recent addition Bungie may end up being the only thing keeping Activision in the industry.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Vodka Dude said:
Tom Phoenix said:
While I have no reason to believe Activision's side of the story, I also find it a bit too convenient that Zampella and Ward received a very favourable deal with EA shortly after they were forced to depart from Infinity Ward. Coincidences do happen, but the timing in this case seems all too perfect.

Usually, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. So my guess is that the Infinity Ward conflict had been brewing for a long time and that Zampella and Ward were on the lookout for potential new positions. Then, once Activision discovered this after terminating their contracts, they decided to use it as a reason for their dismissal in public.

Of course, that leaves the question of what the Infinity Ward conflict was really about. But chances are that nobody outside of those directly involved will ever find out.
I think you are reasonably correct in the assumptions you have made.

The way I perceived it all happen was, 2 guys who acted like non-corporate execs (even tho they were being paid to act as responsible corporate execs) thought that since they had a money tree (CoD MW2) they had the right to act like children and tell the suits to f'off.

As any intelligent corporate employee knows, you have to 'play the game'. When you think the rules don't apply to you, and you can do what ever you want because you know you have a desired product, you will get burned. When you even hint at talks w/ competitors, you are in the wrong, and you forfeit any $$$ because of the contract you signed w/ the original corporation.

The trials (if it comes to it) will easily show a breach in contract, and we will know why the new company Respawn exists. I have no inside knowledge, I'm just saying my observations on the little I have read, but big companies like EA and Activision have groups of people known as 'bean counters'. Most major corporations have people like this.... they add losses vs earnings to decide how to continue dealings. Just like other major companies (GM, Microsoft, Sony), they foretell losses that don't exceed profits, so the big business general mind set is to cut anything that might hinder future profit growth, or ignore that which loses $ if it would cost more to deal w/ than what is lost. Yeah, I have not studied economics, but I think we can get the general idea, no?

This seems to me, like a story of 2 guys who are known as simple, easy going, non-corporate types, who got in over their heads, and decided they wanted greener pastures. Well guess what, you can't just go against what you sign your name onto. They were in the wrong by having talks (yes, even talking to the competition is often violating a contract) and now they are left having to make a new beginning for themselves.

The lesson we all should learn from this is: Read what you sign your name to. I don't for a minute think Respawn came into existence after the two guys were fired. This was in the works before, and that is why the 2 guys were fired.

And thanks for welcoming me to Escapist, I don't plan on being anyone's friend.... I just like to post my thoughts. Thanks again for reading my little wall o text..
Actually, it's entirely reasonable that there was no conspiracy between EA and Zampella/Ward. Zampella and Ward developed Modern Warfare 2, one of the best selling games of all time, and EA, the other big guy, has the capital to allow them the creative freedom they desire.

Wether or not there was a preisting relasonship this was a logical step for both party's.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Politics as usual. I doubt the public will ever get the real truth behind the matter; it's just too expensive for this scandal to continue publicly.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
DoW Lowen said:
If this is true, than Activision are so fucked. This is the entire foundation for their legal case, if they lose this than they not only have to give Zampella and West their owed bonus but probably more money due to punitive damages, and not to mention the $500 million they could lose in the case against their current and former employees to redistributing the money to employees who stayed. Then along with their already dwindling reputation, the entire debacle will put them so far back they're going to have to go into hiding for a while. Recent addition Bungie may end up being the only thing keeping Activision in the industry.
What? Did everybody forget that it's Activision/Blizzard? That they still have the 300lb gorilla that is World of Warcraft, as well as upcoming sequels to Diablo and Starcraft?

Not that I don't think the corporate hacks at Activision are acting like chimps with downs syndrome, but I have a feeling that they're not terribly hurting for money (but greed is greed after all). I'm just going to make myself some popcorn and enjoy the spectacle as they run the Call of Duty series into the ground, and watch all of the startled reactions from all of the 'mainstream' gamers (and their parents) that will blindly pick up the next CoD because it's the next CoD. I'll enjoy watching their hurt expressions once they finally realize what has happened to the franchise, only to be crushed by the realization that it's too late to do anything about it.

Seriously, sometimes I forget that not everybody knows that CoD has had multiple developers across the series. Guess that happens when you're a Game Design Major...

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Maybe EA will teach them how to make balanced games again.

I find if funny they called their new venture "Respawn". While I understand it probably has to do with them starting over on a new slate, everyone knows respawns are just another thing they screwed up. Big time.

I hope they "Respawn" under a predator missile, or next to an enemy claymore, or right around the corner from Activision...