EA: Retail is Great and Day-One DLC is Awesome

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011

Oh, my no good brother Peter... your evil lack subtlety!
You can't just announce how you feel about ripping people off! That makes me feel angry!

Now listen to my solid gold violin while you overpay for more games, children!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Grey Carter said:
"The other key thing is selling digital content on the day of launch...When we sold Mass Effect 3 back in March, we saw a 40 percent attach rate that first week to DLC at GameStop in the United States. Not only are you selling a $60 game...you're selling $20 DLC, so the sale becomes $80," he explained.
I can't find the link, so I'll just quote dr. Cox myself:
"I was just wondering... how do you comb your hair so the horns don't show?"

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
That explains why they made Origin as shitty as possible. They're trying to turn people away from online to buy at retail!
I love your thinking. /tinfoil hat.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
EA.....god damnit.

No, Day one DLC is not awesome. and Retail may not be great, I would`nt know.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Day one dlc, you can buy it or not buy it. Like everything else in the world, your not forced to purchase everything your told to. I prefer day 1 dlc to waiting 3 months till its released. I rarely keep games more than 2 weeks and by the time normal DLC is released many months later i have lost interest in the game.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
So what's the problem with day one DLC again? By my understanding it's produced during the publishing and distribution stages. You know, the point where the programmers, artists and the rest of the development staff are doing fuck all besides Q&A. If they can produce DLC during that time and have it ready for release on launch day, what reason would they have to not do it? I'm starting to think the out cry over the topic is just whining for whining sake.

Also Jesus Christ people, this guy voices his support for a rational business decision and you're all just itching to burn the guy at the stake. Yes EA does pull dick move i.e. Origin, Online Passes, cutting ME3 ending off to have it out in the first quarter of 2012. But you all act like the come to your house and slapped your mother in the face with their collective phallus.
I think people are making a stink because we don't believe them anymore. Companies say "oh it was made during publishing / distribution", but we've come to find out that it might be already on the disc. And even if it isn't, who's to say when it was developed? We all understand the need for a company to make money, but it would be nice if they dropped the horseshit act and were just honest. They want more money, so they snip out some content to turn a $60 into an $80 game. Mass Effect was one of my favorite games, but the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC I thought should have been included in the original game.

And we ***** because we love video games and the only way to keep companies in check is by bitching - because we all know that we collectively lack the will power to vote with our wallets and just ravenously consume media indiscriminately like it were crack and companies like EA are the dealers.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Cid SilverWing said:
Just when you thought EA can't get eviller and stupider, they go and blow out the bottom of the barrel and sink themselves 60 feet more.

I'm not sure whether to cry or rage.
80 feet more, don't forget we paid for the DLC. :p

captcha: pizza topping

mmm...pizza

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Meh, part of me wants to hate on it just because it's words from EA. But, I don't have a problem with retail. I mostly game on the PC, but I do go to Gamestop to buy console games occasionally. I don't have a problem with retail, especially used game sales.

That whole 40% attach rate thing... I wonder how much of that were specials with the DLC included, such as the digital deluxe super mega mega edition.

As it goes, I don't care for EA and I probably won't be buying anymore games off of them. I wanted to see the conclusion to ME3, so my job is finished. I don't play sports games, Bioware has not really put out a really good game in a little while (though I would imagine I'll have to see how Dragon Age 3 goes), and all of their FPS these days are COD wannabes. If I wanted to play games like that I would just play COD.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I couldn't help but picture a Bond villain going on was of those monologues as they have 007 strapped into the murder machine. Well EA, do you expect me to talk?

"No Mr. Shog" says EA, as a laser-beam slowly approaches my wallet, "I expect you to buy 75% this hot new triple-A sequel at $60 then purchase the disc locked and, downloadable content making up the remaining 25% of the total game for an additional $30!"

Well do I at least get a decent manual to go with it?

"Of course not. It's 3 pages not counting the foreign language sections you fool. Think of the rain forests!" remarks EA as Gamestop cackles in the background and throws a child into an acid pool.

Joking aside I still buy all of my games physically; not just for my older consoles but my new games are bought as physical discs too. Disc-locked content and, downloadable content screws me over even if I do buy new because my console can't maintain an internet connection long enough to download anything but I've talked enough about that back when Arkham City was new and pissing people off because of Cat Woman.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
This site has more bullshit EA hate threads than actual news and video game discussion.

Stop beating the horse. I can get this sort of blatant flamebait from a child's blog if I wanted it.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008

/EA

There it is, though, in plain English. EA wants $80 per sale. And this is apparently the way they get it - by cutting the product up smaller and smaller, and selling the pieces on the side. It's dishonest, unethical, and anticonsumer, but I really don't know if it's possible to resist.

Balmong7

Apr 9, 2010
The moral of the story here is to release all day one DLC at least one week after the game is released.

Also the online passes are the best business decision EA ever made. It means that kids whose parents don't pay for xbox live can just buy used and not miss out on anything. Some friends of mine do it all the time. They can't do DLC so they just buy used.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I can't really fault the guy for being honest. He says upfront that it's essentially selling a game for $80 and he loves that they can get away with it. The only way it could be more honest is if the price tags on their games did indeed say $80. Or "content withheld for further consumer milking." It's dickish, but it's honest.

It's not necessarily EA who's at fault in this regard. At least, not entirely. That's not to say that they're not dicks (they are, in excess), but the fact of the matter is that they're doing what many money-making companies do, which is to try fuck over the consumer as hard as possible without keeping them from coming back for seconds. That's simply the way of things.

Judging by their profits, the customers have forgone the responsibility of expressing their distaste for their business practices. You want to know why I didn't buy Mass Effect 3 or Street Fighter X Tekken, in spite of how much I wanted (and still want) to play them? Because fuck those companies and their practices, that's why. I'm not giving those assholes money. They're selling games for beyond full retail. Who the fuck supports that?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Irridium said:
EA, we buy retail not because we're scared of getting screwed by hackers, we buy retail because we're getting screwed by you.

Well, I do. Since I got screwed by you before. Well, okay, when I say "we" I mean "me". I just don't want to feel alone :(

Also the fact I have shit internet and can only buy through retail. But I'd still buy through retail even if my internet wasn't shit.
How about when retail copies are tied to DD accounts? Your ME3 disc serves only as an alternative way to install a game that is registered and activated via Origin.

Lord Beautiful said:
It's not necessarily EA who's at fault in this regard. At least, not entirely. That's not to say that they're not dicks (they are, in excess), but the fact of the matter is that they're doing what many money-making companies do, which is to try fuck over the consumer as hard as possible without keeping them from coming back for seconds. That's simply the way of things.
Is this really the way you think business should act? Anything goes in the pursuit of greed?

I have always thought of business as being a contributing part of society, not as snake oil salesmen but if this is what people expect from business in 2012, then that is truly sad.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Of course people are going to buy day one DLC more, they haven't had a chance to see a shit game and a shit ending yet. And as we know, stupid people never learn, EA is shit.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Lord Beautiful said:
Is this really the way you think business should act? Anything goes in the pursuit of greed?

I have always thought of business as being a contributing part of society, not as snake oil salesmen but if this is what people expect from business in 2012, then that is truly sad.
Is doesn't equal ought.

This IS how business is currently run and unless you can replace all businessmen around the globe with Gamer philanthropists you'll just have to deal with how it is.

This doesn't mean I like how it is. Hell I have a ton of ideas how I think things ought to be. But I guess I've just gotten too cynical to get (as we say in Denmark) "my piss boiling" over stuff like this.