EA: Retail is Great and Day-One DLC is Awesome

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
EA: Retail is Great and Day-One DLC is Awesome

EA doesn't like retail. EA loves retail.

While some developers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114410-Scribblenauts-Dev-The-Retail-Model-is-Broken] are wetting themselves with excitement over the possibility of digital sales replacing brick-and-mortar retail as the premier game distribution method, publishers - EA in particular - are quite happy with how things are.

"Once we get that disk installed in the tray of an Xbox or a PS3, we then look at our consumer on an ARPU basis," COO, Peter Moore, told Gamasutra. [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/169962/Retail_plays_an_essential_role_even_as_games_go_digital_says_EAs_Peter_Moore.php] "We love what retail does for us. We love its ability to create massive launches and create excitement. GameStop probably sees three million hardcore gamers walk through their doors every day, and that's a marketing opportunity for us."

So why favor retail over digital distribution? Because of hackers and people without credit cards, apparently.

"A lot of our consumers don't own credit cards. A lot of our consumers are still afraid of what happened to the PlayStation Network when 77 million accounts were accessed by Anonymous in 2011," Moore explained. "A lot of our consumers prefer to go into retail buy those Xbox Live or PlayStation Network cards, and retail gets a very strong margin on that. For retail, if they can evolve to be not just a physical media purveyor, but a digital media purveyor, it'll play a very strong role in our business going forward."

His statements happen to coincide with rumors that Valve is about to start offering digital currency cards at retail. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117186-Rumor-GameStop-to-Sell-Steam-Vouchers]

Moore went on sing the praises of day-one DLC schemes. Despite the controversy that surrounds the issue, day-one DLC seems to sell consistently better than DLC released later in a title's lifespan.

"The other key thing is selling digital content on the day of launch...When we sold Mass Effect 3 back in March, we saw a 40 percent attach rate that first week to DLC at GameStop in the United States. Not only are you selling a $60 game...you're selling $20 DLC, so the sale becomes $80," he explained.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I can only imagine Peter Moore twirling a thin mustache and laughing evilly when he did that interview...

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
I... well...

who's honestly suprised?

That big bad publisher is backing the big bad retailer that gives them money, who would have guessed!

Apr 28, 2008
EA, we buy retail not because we're scared of getting screwed by hackers, we buy retail because we're getting screwed by you.

Well, I do. Since I got screwed by you before. Well, okay, when I say "we" I mean "me". I just don't want to feel alone :(

Also the fact I have shit internet and can only buy through retail. But I'd still buy through retail even if my internet wasn't shit.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Moore went on sing the praises of day-one DLC schemes. Despite the controversy that surrounds the issue, day-one DLC seems to sell consistently better than DLC released later in a title's lifespan.

"The other key thing is selling digital content on the day of launch...When we sold Mass Effect 3 back in March, we saw a 40 percent attach rate that first week to DLC at GameStop in the United States. Not only are you selling a $60 game...you're selling $20 DLC, so the sale becomes $80," he explained.
Or to translate "HA! 40% of the idiots who buy our games are willing to pay an extra third for it! Let's abuse that"

I'd do the same thing in his position, mind. Get as much of that cold, hard cash as I can. As a consumer, though, I fucking hate it. I wish we could organise all gamers to boycott DAy 1 DLC, but till that miraculous day comes, I completely understand why EA and the others do it.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
On-Disc DLC is pretty damn idiotic
although I do think retail is pretty alright
as available and cheap as digital might be, it can't beat the wonderful smell of a brand new game box

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
He's wearing a red shirt because he's the Devil, obviously. Look, he's even got the little beard!

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
I've never seen someone miss the point so much before. We aren't even in "it's just good business" territory anymore. They just don't get it.

EA is holding maybe 3 upcoming titles hostage (Dead Space 2, KoA2 maybe something else) and thats all they're going to get from me. I'd rather NOT get fucked that get fucked and only enjoy myself a little bit. Seriously, EA games across the board generally don't match up to good games.

OT: Just because you pretend to give a shit doesn't mean you actually give a shit. If it did I wouldn't have had to retake geology (really, fuck rocks). But I guess that's not entirely true, they do love our money.

-Retail is fine, we already know this. You telling us that you also think retail is fine does not make us buddies.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Well, he's not actually wrong about retail in the sense that it creates marketing opportunities and has a certain atmosphere at major launches. Still dickish about the day one DLC, but I actually like retail for many of the reasons he listed.

Also, when exactly was it proved Anon hacked the PSN? I thought the guy/guys who did that got away scott free and we had no idea who they are to this day. If that's the case, he may have just poked a sleeping dragon while dressed in a tasty sheep costume.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
I see what he's getting at with the retail thing, wrong as he may be, this is someone who's sole purpose is to sell things and record how well he sold things so when he has to sell some other things he has data based on the last things he sold. Although coming from EA it seems really strange *cough*Origin*cough* but Day-One DLC? Really? You'd think when you're getting your useless business degree they'd tell you to at least pretend to listen to your customers.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
So what's the problem with day one DLC again? By my understanding it's produced during the publishing and distribution stages. You know, the point where the programmers, artists and the rest of the development staff are doing fuck all besides Q&A. If they can produce DLC during that time and have it ready for release on launch day, what reason would they have to not do it? I'm starting to think the out cry over the topic is just whining for whining sake.

Also Jesus Christ people, this guy voices his support for a rational business decision and you're all just itching to burn the guy at the stake. Yes EA does pull dick move i.e. Origin, Online Passes, cutting ME3 ending off to have it out in the first quarter of 2012. But you all act like the come to your house and slapped your mother in the face with their collective phallus.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
That explains why they made Origin as shitty as possible. They're trying to turn people away from online to buy at retail!

Jaeke said:
I... well...

who's honestly suprised?

That big bad publisher is backing the big bad retailer that gives them money, who would have guessed!
But...But...Gamestop is ruining gaming! EA hates them, obviously!

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Grey Carter said:
"The other key thing is selling digital content on the day of launch...When we sold Mass Effect 3 back in March, we saw a 40 percent attach rate that first week to DLC at GameStop in the United States. Not only are you selling a $60 game...you're selling $20 DLC, so the sale becomes $80," he [Peter Moore] explained.
Two things:
1. At least he is honest about it.
2. Frankly, I just wish they would say "here is all the content upfront, it'll be $80"

I miss the Ultimate Edition for Dragon Age where everything was in one. I bought it because the nature of digital licenses is still sketchy regarding consoles. I bought the game on launch day and then again when all the content was available on disc. Now if they would just do it for other games.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
EA loves retail? I guess they're just going to ignore the large origin shaped elephant in the room then and the whole systematically trying to destory used game market with pre order dlc and project 10 dollar. I think EA works on a different plain of logic to the rest of us.

Edit

Damn touch screens messing with my grammar!