EA Reveals Dead Space 3's 2013 Release

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
EA Reveals Dead Space 3's 2013 Release

Pre-order bonuses for Dead Space 3 include Limited Edition weapons and suits.

In a Gamescom press release earlier today, EA revealed some new details about Dead Space 3's release. Though we already expected the game to come out in early 2013, the publisher announced actual release dates for the next game in the series: February 5 for North America, followed by a European release three days later on February 8. The game will be available on the PC, Xbox 360, and PS3.

Those who pre-order Dead Space 3 will receive the Limited Edition, which contains bonus goodies that can be used at the start of the game. The two bundles, "First Contact" and "Witness the Truth", each contain an in-game suit and weapon, which should be useful when fighting necromorphs and exploring harsh terrain.

The "First Contact" bundle features an Extra-Vehicular Activity suit, which "sports a flamboyant golden finish to provide protection from long-term space exposure and thick armor for... unspecified reasons." "First Contact" also includes a gold-plated Negotiator weapon, with an "overclocked, top-mounted Tesla Beam is capable of bursting a man-sized organism into several pieces with a single shot" and a bottom-mounted Linegun. "Witness the Truth" provides gamers with the insulated Witness Suit and the Evangelizer, which has "a souped-up AL-2g assault rifle on the top with an Emerson 2100 'Big Boy' tactical shotgun on the bottom."

EA's press release states that "these hand-crafted weapon combinations act as initial blueprints for the millions of permutations players will be able to create using the all-new weapon crafting system in the game." Only a few months remain until gamers can create their own crazy weapon combinations in Dead Space 3.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Oh, we can put together our own guns in Dead Space 3?

Interest just went up a few notches.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I don't care what the gameplay is like or what you can do in the game, DS is dead to me.

Though I do wish more game companies would do the "preorder regular edition, get upgraded" type thing

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
I bought Dead Space 2 on a Steam sale recently. When I started the game, I had all the DLC open to me for some reason.

However, all the weapons and suits available right from the beginning were strictly better than the base weapons (which I didn't even have yet). It cheapened the entire game. I was shocked people actually pay for DLC that helps them cheat; this isn't DLC, this is the same stuff that amateur modders do when they want their favorite gun to simply do more damage.

--

Either way, another junky EA action game being released. I'll wait for the complete edition and pick it up from the bargain bin if I stumble across it one day. If not, no big loss.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
I see EA are still determined to keep beating their horrible undead space horse.

Does this series even have "fans" anymore? I'm prettysure any fanbase it previously could've claimed to have walked around the time it became clear the 3rd installment was less "Twilight Zone" and more "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen".

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I now just want to attach the really large plasma cutter (line gun?) or the contact beam on everything. But I probably won't be getting this game as it feels like they are abandoning the kinda tense atmosphere and shit I found scary for cover based shooting, universal ammo pickups and co-op.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Absolutionis said:
I bought Dead Space 2 on a Steam sale recently. When I started the game, I had all the DLC open to me for some reason.

However, all the weapons and suits available right from the beginning were strictly better than the base weapons (which I didn't even have yet). It cheapened the entire game. I was shocked people actually pay for DLC that helps them cheat; this isn't DLC, this is the same stuff that amateur modders do when they want their favorite gun to simply do more damage.

--

Either way, another junky EA action game being released. I'll wait for the complete edition and pick it up from the bargain bin if I stumble across it one day. If not, no big loss.
Yeah, they should've fixed that. Had no reason to buy any weapons, since all where unlocked in better variations through DLC. Couldn't they at least make it cost *some* in-game money, or have you unlock it with power nodes or something? At least in Dragon Age digital deluxe edition some of the DLC armor you're given is level locked, so you can't just start off a new adventure with MAXIMUM ARMOR. I can understand that it's "ok" to get some alright DLC gear mid-game after purchasing it, but sometimes when you buy these digital deluxe editions, and you start the game with lots of free gear that you don't feel you've earned yourself, it's a problem. Similarily it can also get a bit annoying when you start off Fallout 3 GOTY for instance, and the second you exit vault 101, you get bombarded with "hey, you should check it this emergency signal coming from an unknown location, oh and here's 6 more radio emergency signals for you to check out right away as well, you know, they ALL called at the same time".

Developers need to find some kind of nice middle ground of not screwing up the game experience when you start a fresh game with all DLC installed, because it gets messy as hell in most cases.

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
Customizing your weapons sounds cool, but I hope they're not abandoning the power node system they had. Also, the new trailer looks better than the previous ones.

I guess the little voice inside my head is getting scared, cause all I hear it say now is:

"Please don't kill it EA, please don't kill it EA, pleeaase"

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Dead Space 1 was great. Dead Space 2 was great. Dead Space: Extraction was great.

... and yet I'm still skeptical of Dead Space 3.

I really want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but EA has a habit of ruining many once-great things.

I hope Ellie's still alive, at least. She was the best ass-kicking alien-killer in space since Samus Aran (and after Other M, pretty much the ONLY badass girl in space.)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Didn't mostly everyone stop caring about this game when they learned that they were making it co-op?..............and not setting it in Space?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
They have actual assault rifles and shotguns in dead space now?
The hell is that crap.

Also having overpowered gear in my inventory at the very start of the game kinda breaks the whole experience.
Why would I want that? No thanks, keep your "big boy tactical shotguns".

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
A whole lot of pessimistic fucks lately i swear all you need to do is stick an EA logo on to something to turn everyone against anything.

anyway on topic I guess, i like what im hearing about this game,the co-op could be fun, and if its true the single player hasn't suffered for it then it will just as good as the preprocessor. also loving the custom gun idea, i can see me enjoying that a hell of a lot, and it makes sense what with the main guy being an engineer, spent 2 games doing nothing but ripping things out of machine in a less the professional manner ha

Ganath

Jan 24, 2011
That they didn't have weapons but mostly tools on the Ishimura made sense, but you weren't on the ishimura in most of Dead space 2 and you won't be in 3 either. You'd figure there would still exist weapons. You know, unless the whole universe turned anti gun for some weird reason. I can see how that kinda ruins the old feel the game had, but from a view point that makes sense? Yeah, they should keep weapons. I stopped treating Dead space as an amazing horror game a long time ago, so I doubt co-op will ruin the feel for me either.

Just...Just.. No more needle scenes... please. That shit gave me shivers.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
*sticks head above parapet*

Im actually quite looking forward to it...

*ducks back down and hides from angry lynch mob*

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
The real shame here is that when the 5 million sales mark is missed, the original franchise will be blamed by big wigs in EA, instead of the real culprit: CoD-ification. Not that CoD was a bad game, just that I don't want EVERY game to be CoD. If they are all like CoD, why play anything but CoD?