EA "Revitalizing" the Medal of Honor Series

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA "Revitalizing" the Medal of Honor Series

Perhaps tired of watching Activision wallowing in the warm, soothing muck of Medal of Honor [http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/] series and other core IPs.

The Medal of Honor franchise debuted ten years ago this month for the PlayStation, eventually growing to spawn numerous expansions and sequels across a number of platforms ranging from the GameCube and Game Boy Advance to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. But interest in the series has cooled in recent years, thanks in no small part to the Call of Duty [http://www.callofduty.com/hub] franchise, which thoroughly trounced it as the war shooter of choice.

It's a state of affairs EA [http://www.ea.com] is apparently tired of putting up with. "In the months ahead, you'll hear more about our plans to revitalize core IP, including the Medal of Honor franchise," EA Games President Frank Gibeau said during yesterday's second quarter earnings call.

Gibeau didn't offer any hints as to what the company has in mind but given the success that Activision [http://www.activision.com] has experienced with the Modern Warfare games, a move into the current era certainly doesn't seem unlikely. Going toe-to-toe with Infinity Ward's behemoth may not be a particularly appealing strategy but with World War Two pretty well tapped out at this point, there just aren't many other options.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I always woundered what happened to the moh. I thought they just replaced it with battle field

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Oh God, not another generic shooter series -_-
Why can't these games just stop when they got a couple of games out there?
I mean, the first few games where good and all, but then everything just turns out the same. I want original games!

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Well, the main reason I don't play Medal of Honour games is in the title. It's too Americanised. I am more interested in the British history in the wars. I want to know about them.

If they made Victoria Cross, I would be much more intreeged.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Medal of honor: future warefare, a complete departure from there usual fanbase and strategy. I don't see how they are going to revitalize medal of honor, becaus no one wants another wwII game, or at least i don't.

MikeOfThunder

Jul 11, 2009
Another modern war game on the market? Can't complain, used to play the MoH games a bit with my dad... thought they were decent!

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
I remember reading in the Spy section (or something similar) of PC Gamer that rumours were circulating around a MoH set in Iraq 2002.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
cod makes stupid money.... COPY!!!!!!!!!!!!
ugh the last medal of honor game I played was pacific assualt and it suuuuucked bad

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Those guys could just pick another theater instead of normandy. Sabotage in Scandinavia,the Maquis' resistance,african theater (versus Rommel,no less!) or... you know... the enormous Eastern Front.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Ugh. Another MOH game? Seriously EA, you've been milking the generic WWII shooter forever. Just give it up. There's nothing wrong with the umpteen other MOH games that requires making a new one.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Give me the ability to move while aiming down my sights, and I might actually enjoy MoH a bit more. Jumping out of the WWII era would be great, too, but I doubt that'll happen.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Medal of Honour: Frontlines was by far the best in the series, after that it was just blah game after blah game. It'll be interesting to see what they do now though.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
This might be great... But for the love of god, not another WWII shooter or there will be blood.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Caliostro said:
This might be great... But for the love of god, not another WWII shooter or there will be blood.
So you'd rather they have another modern era FPS?

You know, like how there have been more modern era FPS's than there has been WW2 era FPS's in the past 5 years?

Real saturated market, those WW2 shooters.