EA Says There's "Scope" to Remake the Original Syndicate

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Irridium said:
Yeah... thing is, I have enough shooters. I'm full on those.

Unless it does something really amazing, I'm gonna pass on this one.

I mean, I do love Starbreeze's work, especially after The Darkness, but like the guy above linked... this thing just looks "meh".
As far as I can tell, "scope" in this case means they own the name and can do with it as they please. That is legally true. But they can't morally stand on that ground. So, if you read the last line, it says it's all speculation. Meaning the guy was really just talking out of his ass. Lucky us.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Next up: Syndicate: The Tower Defence game. (And if anyone quotes me saying that would be really cool, then there's going to be a squad of 4 trench-coated figures coming round your way very soon.)
I was actually thinking Syndicate: The Hidden Object game. Now that would be really really cool.

I actually felt a little sick typing that.

Feb 13, 2008
Wuvlycuddles said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Next up: Syndicate: The Tower Defence game. (And if anyone quotes me saying that would be really cool, then there's going to be a squad of 4 trench-coated figures coming round your way very soon.)
I was actually thinking Syndicate: The Hidden Object game. Now that would be really really cool.

I actually felt a little sick typing that.
Not as sick as I felt reading it.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
"The original was such a classic. There is scope to remake it," EA Partners Executive Producer Jeff Gamon told Eurogamer. "But I don't think it necessarily has to be exactly the same genre"
Not same genre? Well then it isn't a REMAKE, now is it? What do you want? Syndicate Puzzle-quest? Syndicate Racer? Syndicate Cooking For Kids? You already made it into a FPS (with a hot soundtrack, I'll give you that), so why not actually remake it into a squad-shooter?

Why does everything need to be FPS nowdays? So sick of it. Even the goddamn classic RPGs like Elderscrolls look more and more like FPS for every new game.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Realitycrash said:
"The original was such a classic. There is scope to remake it," EA Partners Executive Producer Jeff Gamon told Eurogamer. "But I don't think it necessarily has to be exactly the same genre"
Not same genre? Well then it isn't a REMAKE, now is it? What do you want? Syndicate Puzzle-quest? Syndicate Racer? Syndicate Cooking For Kids? You already made it into a FPS (with a hot soundtrack, I'll give you that), so why not actually remake it into a squad-shooter?

Why does everything need to be FPS nowdays? So sick of it. Even the goddamn classic RPGs like Elderscrolls look more and more like FPS for every new game.
It's gonna have 4 player co-op. Yet I think a FPS w/ a squad shooter style would take a few years to do. We might get this if the remake sells well and EA wises up.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
TheDooD said:
Realitycrash said:

It's gonna have 4 player co-op. Yet I think a FPS w/ a squad shooter style would take a few years to do. We might get this if the remake sells well and EA wises up.
..Why not simply make it Dragon Age with guns, Syndicate universe and themes? Really, how does that take "a couple of years"? It would be pretty much the same as the original, but with better graphics, animations, game-play mechanics, etc.
In fact, I'm pretty sure you could MOD Dragon Age into a better Syndicate-game than the new Syndicate will be.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Realitycrash said:
TheDooD said:
Realitycrash said:

..Why not simply make it Dragon Age with guns, Syndicate universe and themes? Really, how does that take "a couple of years"? It would be pretty much the same as the original, but with better graphics, animations, game-play mechanics, etc.
In fact, I'm pretty sure you could MOD Dragon Age into a better Syndicate-game than the new Syndicate will be.

Because you saw how people didn't like DA2 right because it was a rushed product. It's better to get a product done right instead of just getting it done. Syndicate was a tactical shooter, just slapping on the dragon age system screams of laziness. Plus. Having this type of game needs a lot of active NPC's and enemies on the screen at one time. Just not people that stand around like mooks waiting for shit to happen. Plus it'll need 4 player co-op and within that all 4 players must have freedom to explore the mission area. that's why I said it'll take a few years because in 12-16 months development time you'll have to be running a sweatshop of a team. When this happens bugs it overlooked, problems start, etc. It's better for them to take 2-3 years as long as the game comes out right. Unless you want to worry about patches and balance issues.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I didn't read anything in that that hints towards a real Syndicate game. Don't get me wrong, I think new one looks good too, but he didn't say anywhere in there that they would make another real-time tactics game.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Syndicate wasn't the gameplay, it was the setting. The gameplay wasn't really that good. Walk your guys near target, turn on drugs, everything dies, or you die and you restart mission.

The corps rule the world, they kidnap people off the street, scoop out their brain, cut off their junk, and spray plastic on their skin, then send them off to murder people. Civilians are there to amuse you or to be your human shields. Cars are meant to be jacked, cops are meant to be gunned down, enemies get persuaded or ventilated.

The world is a bleak crapsack with black and blacker morality. That is what made Syndicate a great game. If the new one is "good vs evil" or even "wangsty dark and edgy 90s anti-hero" vs "even worse guys who prove how evil they are by shooting puppies" then it will crap.

If they load the game with civilians to shoot and missions to kill nice people to the point where some organization with the word "family" in its name bitches about it on Fox then it might be good.
Considering the fact that the trailer begins with the player forcing a man to shoot his friend four times, and then himself, I'd say they've jumped from "anti-hero" to "villain protagonist."